1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerds.... a question.

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Nov 15, 2022.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

What's the best way to create an exact copy of a hard drive....image for image? It's for my moms payroll computer and I'm afraid her hd is failing.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Right Click.
    Copy.
    Paste.

Done.

Maybe, :D

Phl218 and SirCrashAlot like this.
  3. SirCrashAlot

Gee thanks.:moon:

ChemGuy likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well the first best way is to have backups. The second best way if you are not technically inclined is Acronis True Image or some other drive imaging software.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    beac83 and BigBird like this.
  5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Are you just trying to capture the payroll files? Put them all in a specific folder and Save them to a well built external storage.

The second piece of advice is get offsite storage for backup. It's cheap or get a TPA for it.

YoshiHNS likes this.
  6. SirCrashAlot

7. Venom51

8. SirCrashAlot

Right, that's what I was asking. If I could use the acronis copying software with that so I wouldn't have to worry about attaching and detaching drives to the mobo.

9. Venom51

Yes sir.

BigBird and SirCrashAlot like this.
  10. SirCrashAlot

Thanks. I like the duplicator you posted too. May just get that.

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Clonezilla for software. Free, and should run off the CD or USB. Need a second hard drive to copy to.

But there's a difference between making a copy of all the files, and making a complete hard drive image.

If you just want to copy files, get an external hard drive like this, and you can copy the entire C: drive over to it and hope that captured everything.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product...type-a)-25-portable-external-hard-drive-black

If you want to make an image, then you need to buy an internal hard drive, either buy an external enclosure or install the drive in the computer, and run an imaging software. Then you have to remember to run the imaging software regularly. Might be better off imaging and swapping the drives if you are that worried the drive is about to fail.

You can also try the built in backup systems in Win or Mac OS.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    SirCrashAlot likes this.
  12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Go download FTK imager and either mount the drive and pull the files over or use it to image the drive then export
    The files you want.

All for free

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Microsoft One Drive and move everything to that. You can get to the stuff from any computer that has internet access.

14. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

If the hard drive is beginning to fail, the file system may already be corrupt. Making an image may just copy the corruption.

15. SirCrashAlot

I took her computer apart, cleaned it and added a new layer of thermal paste to the cooling fan on the processor. Seems better than it was but im either going to build her another one or she's going to buy one. I purchased the cloner that Kenny posted up so ill use that copy the drive. May do a raid setup for redundancy on the next one.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Get something that has RAID capability so a single disk loss isn’t a single point of failure

and for Gods sake backups!!!!

17. Venom51

There is no need to involve RAID. Specifically, for someone who isn't familiar with it. K.I.S.S. - Easier to drop in 2 SSDs and use the second for a dedicated backup drive. That gives you in box protection. Supplement that with daily offsites for the important accounting package files and you'll be fine. Raid is not a backup, only protects you from a physical drive failure in this case as you'd likely implement a RAID 1 mirror.

I don't recommend it for the average user and use it less and less if it's not something like a storage array that I'll be handing out as block storage over the network.