1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which track next

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Nov 15, 2022.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nashville is back? If for race don't bother with NCM, I would be VERY surprised if there was ever a race there. Some dodgy areas that a good head on a track day can minimize but that bit coming to the front straight would just seem like a place that could keep ambulance crews busy all day.

2. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

NHMS has them. people that hit them usually go to the hospital

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We may just make it happen. The plan is that my son and I are buying matching 1st Gen SV's. I've already bought mine, he's almost there. It's more about two guys having fun, and Roebling sounds like fun. Sure I'd like a shakedown but that may not happen as Tally is our first destination. Hoping Nashville is back too as we've both raced there together yet in different classes. Facilities never mattered to us as long as the track was decent. Last I raced was 2019 at Nelson (first time there) and I liked it too. Honestly out of about 8 different tracks I've raced, Grattan was the only one I just didn't care for.

4. rd400racer

I'd only use NCM for a quick shakedown. I hope Nashville is back as I really like racing there.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, Kelly, and even Scudder (;)) .....I'm off I-75, Just northwest of Atlanta near Marietta. I'm about 4 hrs from Roebling.

My doors would be open if you guys needed to split the journey up into 2 parts.....like make my place after work or something going there, or make my place after racing.

I have driven there, raced, and driven home same day, but that was rough.

I really liked Nashville too.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Both is the correct answer. They are very different and they are both very fun. But, if you didn't like Grattan, then there isn't much we can do about your taste in tracks.

tjnyzf likes this.
  7. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Roebling Road. Fast track that flows. A lot of fun. You'll find top end on the long front straight that begins with a 90 mph sweeper.

Talladega - a tight, fun track that eats tires. Probably +2 -3 teeth on the rear sprocket from Roebling Road.

Nashville? Meh . . . . The track surface transitions on the back were always disconcerting. And, like all speedway road courses, sort of a cobbled together layout.

Which track? Why all of them, of course.

Cheers,

Dave

8. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

My favorite tracks, first is Road America, second Barber, third is Mid-Ohio, really liked Gingerman, Putnam and the rest that have asphalt with nominal tar snakes.

Enjoy it while you can, nothing has ever made me so down as no longer being able to play. Life is short all, tomorrow isn't promised. Trust me, don't believe me ask Speedy.
    Love that man, balls of titanium with a heart of gold. Love ya man. Maybe I'll see you again, not looking like it. Peace

9. rd400racer

Thank you sir, that's a very kind offer. We'll see what the season brings...my son has to get his bike first!:D

10. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

FYI Talladega Gran Prix did a complete remodel on the bathroom /shower set up for both men and women and it is top notch . Talladega is a neat smaller intense track i love it and the camping area is very nice , power is first come so land early for outlets .

TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Let me know when you go to NCM and I'll try to be there and can give you some tips to go slow! Would love to see you and your son again, He has to have grown a ton as the last I saw him he was a pup!

12. rd400racer

Will do Chris. I was hoping to get one of these late session November dates in but too many other things got in the way. Yeah, he's a big boy now. I call him my personal bouncer when we're out:D

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

My understanding is that NOLA is a giant parking lot with painted lines and not worth the 10+hr drive, but that's hearsay as Ive not been myself. I liked the tack At RRR (only went once), biggest difference from Tally is that long ass straight that gives you a bit of a break whereas Tally you don't get any breaks and is mostly left turns. I swear People of Walmart is filmed at the Oxford,AL Walmart near Tally, 3rd world class people watching there.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You should see the Walmart in Downtown Talladega.....

15. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If its anything like the hospital I don't want to. BTW if you need a hospital, just make the drive to UAB.
    It is kinda funny that there are 3 tracks named Talladega, non of which are actually in Talladega.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roebling - new pavement, good runoff and for a crashing bike catching in the sand is much more an issue than hitting something. If you go off on two wheels don't stay on the bike long depending on the corner - same as any track though.

Talladega is tight and fun and keeps you busy enough you won't ever get bored.

NOLA isn't on our schedule, no one ever showed in enough numbers to keep doing it at full rental costs and every year the bumps got worse which meant less racers.

NCM - cool for sure but still not something I feel is raceable.

Nashville - a possibility for 2023, working on getting more info to see if it's viable for us.

yamageezer, dave3593 and Harry V. III like this.
  17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

NOLA sucks. Period. Bumps, lakes of water on the track when it rains, . . . . It was a great idea, and it is an interesting layout, but the actual track has deteriorated such that it is a hazard. I've ridden it 3 times with AHRMA and I like the layout, but hate the track. And, it gets worse with time. But, there is always the food and the good times . . . just don't race.

Cheers,

Dave

18. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

Roebling. Fast flowing track. Might depend on your bike and your style.
    Tally is fun but tight, small or vintage bike track.

19. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I've always had good luck at Road Atlanta, fun track for sure. Roebling is fast and fun, Tally is fun, especially on smaller bikes, starting to get more comfortable at Barber. I've only raced at Nashville once, in pouring rain, won both races on a CB350. Summit Point has a special place in my heart too.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I love Roebling, both as a track, and for the spring weather. Every year I went, it was 80* down there while it was still snowing in KY. That event was my intro to spring. Savannah is a cool town to hang out in too.