1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car washing - "Lift" soap

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Can you just imagine Broome living in the north, having to deal with salt and rust ? He'd end up in a straight jacket in the psych ward. :crackup:
    I walk around my truck once in a while and beat on it with a rubber hammer to knock the rust off. Makes in lighter, better performance. :D

pickled egg likes this.
  2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

autogeeks.com is your friend

BigBird likes this.
  3. WTF :crackup:

Dude I wouldnt be able to handle it. It will snow where I live, but it isn't often. Sometimes it might snow (and stick) 3-4x over the course of the winter, then some years it won't snow at all.

If it snows bad enough that they put the damn salt down, I just don't drive anywhere. Fuck that. The only place I have to go is the gym, so I will take an Uber and let their shit get dirty. :D

4. Aww damnit, why did you have to post that link.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

And yet you were talking winter tires not too many days ago.
    Just say no to those, total waste of money.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My process is similar. If it wasn't for the complication of hose entanglement, I'd probably put a Y at the pressure outlet and run one soaping wand and a rinse wand to avoid swapping the foam cannon and rinse tips out. It would also eliminate the risk of a tip not getting seated and ending up getting shot at the car under pressure.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

This is basically what the Pre-Soak I use at my car wash does. I'm not a chemist, but it breaks the bond between the dirt and the paint. If you know what you're looking for you can see it do it's thing.

The only thing that I question is that they want it used on a pre-rinsed surface. The Pre-Soak I use is best applied to a totally dry car. You can sometimes see a difference in it's effectiveness like when areas on the side of the car have gotten wet from the underbody wash.

It may just be formulated differently for general public use or that they expect you to mit wash it afterwards. You're asking a lot less of your chemicals than we do at a touch-free car wash.

8. That is what I do with mine. I have a Y-piece and then one for soap and one for rinse.

Ive experimented with the soap cannons with a valve that is supposed to let you turn off the soap and spray just water, but them shits never work right (at least the ones I tried didnt). After 3 attempts with different ones, I gave up and just went with the splitter and different hoses for soap and rinse.

9. The more my neighbors try to talk to me the more I wear mine, I call it my neighbor repellent outfit. Pretty sure I’ve been wearing the man thong backwards though

Phl218 likes this.
  10. I use my leaf blower and used some pvc to make an adaptor for a smaller hose to get the bulk of the water off then micro drying towel. Plus air compressor for the detail stuff. I also have some water filtration I rigged up with some filters I got from the supplier who makes our water filters, meter in a tad of spot free stuff you put in your dishwasher and works great. Our water here sucks so any water spots are hell on the car. Drying is the part I absolutely hate.

11. Any roller car washes are for work vehicles and…. I don’t know what else but they can f up a car bad.

12. I’m sure he has 19 cameras doing a live stream so he can zoom in on spots 82 times a day.

13. Shit. I didn't need that visual first thing in the morning. :Puke:

14. I have a small battery powered blower (it is a combination blower and vaccuum). It probably isn't strong enough to use as a leaf blower, at least not without bending over. But for getting the water out of the cracks/grill/wheels/etc it does a great job. It has a 21v lithium battery and I can get several washes out of it before I have to charge it.

Drying is my least favorite part too, but it is probably the most important. Especially on a black vehicle.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  16. :D

Since having my spine rebuilt, that thing is a life saver. I can sit there and work on the wheels as long as I want and be able to stand up straight afterwards.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

my process is fairly simple...well depending on the vehicle. Since I have hard water, I just waterless wash with distilled water on my Golf. In the winter time, I'll rinse the salt off with the hose and then "waterless wash" with distilled water in the garage.

on the Mazda CX-9, i'll do wheels first from it's own bucket. pressure wash, microfiber cloth for the spokes and a wheel brush for the insides, with soap in the bucket. wash it off

then i'll do the rest of the vehicle. pressure wash, foam cannon, and then from another bucket with soap/water I'll do the traditional microfiber mit and wash the vehicle sections at a time, and try to keep the car wet to avoid the water from etching and leaving water spots. and then rinse.

depending on when, i'll maybe do a clay bar, clean that off and then spray CarPro Hydro2 and rinse that off and then dry with the leaf blower and then a waffle drying towel, or the big drying towel, but I prefer the waffle towel, since I have a bunch and it's lighter.

Carpro Hydro2 is amaze and easy to use. really creates a hydrophobic layer, since this car doesn't have ceramic coat on it (well none of my cars do, just takes a lot of time, last time was 20+ hours in prep) https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro2-paint-coating.html; you need to dilute it in another bottle.

I used this last time as the soap, seemed pretty good Chemical Guys CWS207 Extreme Bodywash & Wax Foaming Car Wash Soap
    or the Chemical Guys Mr. Pink (which smells like medicine) is pretty good too

I see that there's a Hydro2 wash, which combines soap and hydrophobic layer...that I guess I'll try next time: https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro-foam-liter.html

18. I really like the Chemical Guys stuff. I use their soap in the Foam Cannon (I use the green one, can't remember the name). I also like their Leather Care stuff and their interior wipes.

I like to wash the car in the sun, because I like being in the sun, but I know that isn't ideal. So I wash one panel at a time, then when I rinse it off, I will rinse the entire car. I keep the entire car wet until I am ready to dry it. That helps me avoid spots.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Okay, Okay, Okay........................serious car washing question here: How come when you drop the hose gun after rinsing it always lands handle down and sprays you in the face?

javyday, Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

you mean, it sprays and wets the car that you just finish drying....

no clue, glad i'm not the only one

Sabre699 likes this.