1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a GM 5.3L replacement engine, who do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General' started by Saiyan66, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The op senders are notorious for failure. Ive probably put in 50 or 60 this year. I wish I were flat rate with them. Books out something crazy like 4 hours, its a 10 minute job. Seems like when temps drop we see a surge in them. Screens are usually dirty but not enough to cause issue.

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah right some print call it a 4.7 others call it 4.8, in any case it's a great motor.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

GM 4.great V8

4. gixxerboy55

Yeah mine had this problem,was sucking air
    Some people say you need to take the front cover off, you don't, you can get to the pickup and change the seal by dropping the pan, that's pretty easy if it's 2 wheel drive.

5. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Razr likes this.
  6. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Yep, a few guys got hosed by the dreaded o-ring on the oil pick up tube. They did revise that o-ring which I did replace with the new material rubber when I pulled the front cover. (2 wheel drive)
    I didn't need to drop the oil pan but it may be the easier option. There is 1 bolt on the pan/front cover that will be the head scratcher for most mechanics. I unscrewed it then wrapped fishing line
    around it...tied a knot then unscrewed it till it drops into the pan then pull it up with the fishing line :clap:

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

We all know the Bandit TA had the 6.6 liter 400 ci engine (TA 6.6) I recently saw a show where the Buick 400 was a 6.5 liter.

220, 221

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My 05 Silverado with 170k+ the oil pressure is a touch above 40psi at idle (500 rpm) and a touch under 60psi at 2000 rpm.

9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Love your wife? Drop a LT4 in that rig and prove it. She’ll be thrilled…or not.

I got you horsepower honey, 650 of them.

Razr and Saiyan66 like this.
  10. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Mine has never been that high on the gauge.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

396 to a 402, same same :D

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

A coworker's Silverado had oil pressure on the low end and he replaced the oring other have mentioned. The pressures went up similar to what mine runs at.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  13. gixxerboy55

I had to replace the crappy gauges on mine,
    Knowed problem with that vehicle.

Besides the broken exhaust bolts.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Oil pressure is fine. I wouldn’t touch it.

Run the trans until you drop a gear (usually reverse). When mine goes, I’ll probably have Precision Transmission in Amarillo do mine.

Rotella 15w/40 is what I run and was recommended by the shop that built my 5.3.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  15. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

LS swap. Turbo that bish.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A 5.3 IS an LS. ;)

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

That is a sign it needs a new Oil pickup oring. They suck air as they get older and cause low oil pressure and Aereated oil, that causes lifter noise. Will usually clatter for 15-20 seconds on cold start as it struggles to prime the pump.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  19. gixxerboy55

That's exactly what mine did,new o ring,no more lifter noise,oil pressure came up.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  20. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

yes and pro tip a 2" 5/16 bolt will thread in and pull that shitty screen once the sender is out. than thread in a mechanical gage