1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found out the wife ran up some serious credit card debt

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you were talking about $145k in debt I'd agree with a fire sale on everything that isn't bolted down. We are talking $45k however and I don't see that as a need to sell everything immediately. I'd keep at least one back up vehicle if you don't owe anything on them. The ability to get to work without hassle is important. The bikes are a different story as unless the wife rides they won't be of much use to her as a back up vehicle. I'd part with those over the cars if I had to make the choice. If you drop yourself down to two 4 wheeled transportation devices you can almost guarantee that car that reliable was yesterday will get a visit from Murphy and let you down.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    lopitt85, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

$45,000 in credit card debt (if that's what the debt is for him), at 25% interest, not even considering compounding it, just simple multiplication... is $11,250 PER YEAR INTEREST . (again, not even including compounding so would be more)

no way possible the cost of a home equity loan would cost remotely close to HALF of the interest for 1 single year, and it would be (estimated) 1/3 of this annual debt cost. And his interest would at least be tax deductible (minor savings but it's something).

I'm no financial advisor, but unless he can sell off a LOT of stuff, i don't see why he wouldn't get a home equity loan to pay this off. Lord forbid he ends up in some problem, he can always take out a cash advance on the card again, and pay off the home equity loan he borrowed on to begin with.

3. Venom51

And the wheels on the struggle bus go round and round...

MELK-MAN and Dan Dubeau like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me how much the BBS has matured...nobody has asked for pics of the wife.

5. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

It's through our credit union. There's no fees to do the HELOC. Also, unfortunately the interest on the home equity is only tax deductible if it's used for home improvements.

Gino230 likes this.
  6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Page 14? Shit.

Put her to work at the strip club!!

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They are on his FB page.

8. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Neither of us are Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. You're not missing anything.

Boman Forklift and R Acree like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

ok.. so who's gonna check ? Get some reciepts from a buddy that does a renovation project ..
    But saving more or less 66% of $12,000 in annual interest, sounds like a good idea, weather it's tax deductible or not :)

USracer900 likes this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

There's a faction here that would be interested in just feet pics

YamahaRick and USracer900 like this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I've been on a major downsizing trend over the last few years. I've sold bikes, my hunting property, a bunch of guns, C6 Corvette, boat, SeaDoo's, etc. I'm searching for the thing that I'll miss when it's gone. I haven't found it yet. It's all just stuff. If you don't like it being gone, it's very easy to get more stuff.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I've got a 99 R1 I am going through before I sell it. Really clean, but high mileage, with a few scratches here and there. (30k miles). A few decent upgrades (Fox racing shock/later model triple clamps with revised offset etc). Not 100% original as the lowers/tail section were painted black by the previous owner. A very nice looking bike though. Just needs tires. I figure the new owner has their preference, so I'm not going to bother.

Just for reference, here is one that sold a week or two ago on BAT. Low miles though. Went for a pretty penny. I'd be happy with half that for mine.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-yamaha-r1-2/

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well a lightly used supermodel is worth much more than a rode hard and put away wet , high mileage, whore. :D

BigBird, A. Barrister and ClemsonsR6 like this.
  15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You have such an eloquent way of putting things Rob.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Suggest tax fraud or the part about the weather?

17. MELK-MAN

come on.. seriously ? but with 88,000 more irs agents, i guess it may be possible to get nabbed for the few hundred he might save.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So your reply isn't that it's not fraud, but that you won't get caught. Copy.

19. Venom51

He's ranking right up there with Cortez on solid financial advice.

"Take out a HELOC and if you fail to change your spending habits pay the HELOC off with another credit card before they take your house."

Rebel635 and MUFC1878 like this.
  20. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

My Whore. :Putter:
    [​IMG]

BigBird, sheepofblue and Phl218 like this.