1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Free Solo” Movie - Climbing El Kapitan with no Rope

Discussion in 'General' started by Monsterdood, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Tavis Instagram post he went through all of it in pretty good detail right after it happened.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

No shit?! That's about when I went through a 33 day OB course......small world

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Forgive my ignorance, but I know like at Everest they leave bodies because it’s too dangerous.

Why can’t they recover these two since they apparently fell to the ground and got covered by snow?
    Is it a large area, very risky? Family doesn’t want them bothered?

seriously don’t know anything just trying to learn about why…. Seems they could use equipment unless they are still in the mountain somewhere

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

We had to rewind and sure enough. :)

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Because they're under a metric fuckton of snow would be my guess, and they're still quite high up.

Hard to get up there for anyone but elite climbers, and the winds are (totally pulling this outta my ass but it *might* be true) a real bitch for helicopters to deal with.

Plus, if I was a climber I'd want to be left up there where I died.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

They'll turn up eventually.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Check out this one…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11876896/?ref_=wl_li_tt

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

man I am so scared of heights, when I watch these things in my room, I get anxiety... I can't fathom the mental strength all that takes. I hope they find him though. Just to have a small speck of closure.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They found him 13 years later.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

11. ton

ton Arf!

I’m really looking forward to seeing Torn. I remember the day Alex went missing. I was well aware of him and Conrad and that whole crew even back then. Heartbreaking. I’ve since met the trip lead on that expedition and heard him glibly tell the story nearly 25 years later and it’s still emotional. That Max made the film and that the family went through that process is as heavy as it gets for me.

27 and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

13. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed with what you wrote in your last paragraph.

14. DmanSlam

Somebody school me on this. Is it the potential deluge of water preventing a surfer from getting back to the surface? Or the pounding of a breaking wave creating a possible concussion? Or even being body-slammed into a hard object/ground/shallow area? #neversurfed

15. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Probably all of above.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

A bit of each. The concussion thing isn’t that big of a concern. When a big wave closes out on your head it’s intense. It can pop your ears and sometimes hours later a gallon of salt water runs out of your sinuses, but I don’t think it’s all that dangerous.

Hold downs are the scariest part for me. Especially in a pearl scenario where you get in late and end up going “over the falls”. Basically the entire energy of the wave drives you deep down, and then you kind of get sucked into the swirling underwater part of the wave. The answer is to just go limp and eventually the wave will spit you out so you can swim to the light. It gets really ugly when you get to the surface and another wave bombs on your head before you can get a full breath and the whole thing starts again. Not fun.

Big wave surfers will sometimes get held under for minutes.

Shallow rocky and coral reefs produce some of the cleanest waves but I’m not skilled enough for those breaks.

Go watch a heavy day at pipeline, and remind yourself that only a few feet under water there are coral reefs and volcanic rock that can crack your skull and remove skin like a cheese grater. Those guys are insane in a beautiful way.

DmanSlam and Hondo like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, nope.

SuddenBraking and JBraun like this.
  18. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

And getting the wind knocked out of you when you land after going over the falls, things get real interesting

JBraun and DmanSlam like this.
  19. DmanSlam

Thanks. To think it looks like fun too. Not for the noob or casual surfer. No?

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not remotely the same.. well.. maybe remotely same, but not same :)
    Motogp you have a lot of variables that others affect. with this crazy guy, it's ALL on him. short of weather, or getting attacked by an eagle or somethin.. lol
    ah.. this thread is only 4 yrs old. sorry...