1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any BMXperts in the house? Enter please....

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 1, 2022.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So long story short....like a year ago my mother found a old and raggedy BMX bike across town on the curb with a bunch of trash for garbage pickup the next morning. It wasn't in such terrible shape so she figured she grab it and give it to me to spruce up for her grandson/my nephew since I kind of enjoy restoring crusty bikes. Was just on ebay looking for random parts and found the frame and forks (I have the complete bike) listed for $1650.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165034920521?hash=item266cd90a49:g:sM4AAOSwTa5hJTdg#vi-desc-maincntr

Does that price sound about right or is this seller on eBay completely dellusional? I'm wondering if I should even give this to my nephew to trash or is it a better idea to make it as nice as possible and sit on it with the hopes it goes up in value or just look to see if its worth selling once I've cleaned it up? Thoughts? Advices?

EDIT: I just noticed that that ebay listing is in Thailand. Perhaps they don't quite reflect the actual value as accurately there?

It's in a pile of parts at the moment, but this is what it would look like completed lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    cbush likes this.
  2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i had a gt pro as a kid...that was stolen by my best friend...never got it back - worth a small fortune now...f*ck ricky newman!!!

BigBird and Shenanigans like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I had a Haro Freestler Master.....just like this except the frame was chrome not white. Was also stolen, but my older cousin found the little bastard who took it and got it back for me. :)

[​IMG]

Spooner and TSAVO5150 like this.
  4. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

end of day just my opinion... all in what it's worth to the individual.. if it's worth it for you to sit on sooo be it. if it's worth passing along to the nephew and have quality time and such well that alone could be worth a he'll of alot more..what's it worth,? same as alot to most. end of day just chain sprocket and 2 wheels just saying, understand for damn sure as well..

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Rather than searching ebay for listings of that frame, search listings of that frame that sold.

I only see two 1998 mongoose convict frames that sold, and both were sold for best offer. Neither went for more than $125.

6. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I still have the Patterson I raced almost 40 years ago. I’ve barely touched it since.

ducnut, cbush and t11ravis like this.
  7. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

1998 Mongoose Convict isn't really a desirable vintage model (valuable). Give it to your nephew so he can have the joy of a semi-retro bike and impress all the ladies!

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

pkprojectfinal.jpg
    I kept the 1982 SE PK Ripper frame and fork that I got as a kid. Got the wild hair to resto-mod it a few years back to give to my grandson. Had frame and fork sandblasted, then powder coated close to Kaw green, then picked up random parts from Dan's Comp and eBay to finish it off. Forget how much I put into it, but I don't recall it being that much in the big picture of life. Not sure what it's worth either, but doesn't really matter. Grandson and I enjoy goofing around on it.

If you like restoring and tinkering with things, then it might be worth the effort just to have a project. If you end up selling it or passing it down to a relative, then it's all good either way.

TSAVO5150, SPL170db, E Reed and 4 others like this.
  9. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Nice!! I still remember the Skyway mags being super flexible laterally. Ran Haro’s, wished I still had my “Spaster” Haro.

Mick6R and sanee like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This is what I was hoping to hear. Yeah a few random parts off the web to freshen it up and a shit ton of elbow grease, or more specifically chrome polish to get rid of all the oxidation and bring back that chrome finish and it'll definitely be a fine ride for the little booger.

Thanks fellas.

Saiyan66, Mick6R and dtalbott like this.
  11. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I do quite a bit of window shopping of old BMX bikes, I raced in the late 80s, early 90s. 80s BMX is considered “old school,” 90s is “mid-school.” Most complete bikes from the 80s in decent shape are priced $1k-$2k. 90s stuff isn’t as desirable. I haven’t seen much from the 90s worth more than a few hundred bucks.

Edit: To add to this, pre-early 90s Mongoose bikes were nice. At some point later in the 90s Mongoose got cheap, and was being sold at Wal-Mart.

MELK-MAN and BigBird like this.
  12. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Speaking of which, the movie Rad is on Prime available for purchase. You know you want to watch it!

13. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

The Skyway mags seem pretty tough, although a bit heavy. Back in the day, I had some of those graphite ACS Z-rims. Really light as I recall and didn't flex as much as alot of folks talked about. Keep thinking about finding some of those, or some old-school Araya aluminum rims, to put on it just for the weight savings.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How can something stolen by your best friend stay stolen? You didn't know where he lived?

418 likes this.
  15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

If you can restore it from its condition sitting on a curb ready for the trash, then your nephew can't do much worse to it. You can restore it again when he's done with it and reevaluate the market.

16. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

yep, only a few houses away - NO idea what he did with it afterwards. it was never seen again. in the end he turned out to be a crackhead - and i didnt ...but some of my other current friends (we are all from a small town), will still send me ads for the same bike now worth thousands...just to rub it in. f@ck ricky newman! lol.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm really intrigued by this. Do you know that he stole the bike or do you suspect it? Did you do anything at all about it? Did you remain friends after the theft?

18. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I missed out on an 82 Torker a couple years ago. I came across a recently posted CL ad. It was posted for $50. It was some old people, they had it in storage, was their sons bike when he was a kid. I thought it was a scam, but bit anyways. They were legit, arranged to meet them at their storage unit in a couple days(as soon as they were willing). The next day they responded saying that someone informed them of the true value of the bike, and that they had to think about it. Never heard back from them. I was planning on giving them more, and would have liked to have them shoot me another offer. Dang, it was sweet! Red bike, mags, drain pipe seat post, and in pretty good condition, it wouldn’t need a resto.

19. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i wasnt told until many years later that he stole it - well after we had gone different directions in life. apparently others knew who took it back then - even if i didnt. like i said , small town, and my bike was the only one in it. i still dont know where it ended up.

HPPT likes this.
  20. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I miss my Kuwahara on Tuffs.

So lucky to grow up during the 80’s

cbush likes this.