1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 in vintage: Has the time come?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 5, 2022.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would say yes.... 2 Weeks ago a 1:34 won the race on SOT 3. on a gen 2.. I ran a 1:42 on a gen 2 if I am not mistaken but wasn't even in the top 5....

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Based on the conversations I had with Eboz and Jon Wilkens today, the times (Barber) of V7MW v. SVSB appear comparable.

3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Fastest around Barber Is Norman Hammon at 1.35 so far in MW V7. Average is 38s or slower.
    Bottom line is add the SVs and people will either step up or get beat but as you will see the class is almost non existent at moment.
    I raced against SVs at CMRA and feel they would fit right in in MW V7.
    Think most of us V7 guys on 600s have decided not to carry on anymore after all the love we have been shown in past.
    Wish all the WERA racers at GNF a safe weekend and have fun.

Steven

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Come on now, the class exiting proves some love for it :p

5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Not sure what that even means? But the grid class count Says something needs to be done.
    It can be the SV Cup class now. LOL
    Wish you well in future of vintage classes.

Steven

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

KICK EM BOTH IN THE NADS FOR ME!!

RRP likes this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Steven,
    Your post makes it sound like you are done racing vintage. Are you retiring from racing all together or just vintage?
    Since you have been at this a while and made a joking reference to an SV Cup, do you think the SV in V7MW will help the class numbers?
    The reality is that grid numbers are much smaller than they were in the glory years of club racing and my interest is to look at ways to keep racers that are thinking about leaving the sport in the game with an experience they will continue. I have raced WERA vintage since it first started when they had 2 classes, above and below 500cc. I have enjoyed the cameraderie of the vintage racers over the years and hope it can continue and grow. Part of keeping Vintage viable is to ensure participation with value for the racers and WERA. Will having the first gen SV in vintage help provide value to WERA and racers? I think so.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good fit. V7mw 600 should have more HP, but a 1st gen SV should handle better. I'd be curious to see how they match up.

VFR#52 and RRP like this.
  9. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

If this happens I'll have to look at the schedule next year and see what rounds I could make.

VFR#52 and RRP like this.
  10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I'm rebuilding MY 86 VFR to race ARHMA in next generation class. Pretty much done with Racing full time.
    Almost died last yr and i took a long look at what ive been doing and just tired of trying to Race like i was in my 30s again.
    I suggested letting SVs in V7 a long time ago and it fell on deaf ears so i tried just trying to enjoy the racing and honestly its just not fun with what i was doing at WERA. I think SVs will be perfect fit and my SV cup was said because how many 600s are racing in V7 MW now? How many will be on grid tomorrow for GNF race? Class needs bikes and riders and SV bikes can be competitive in that class and help its grow so maybe others will show back up and race in class.
    In CMRA we raced in the class SV raced in and honestly i didnt loose many races against them.
    Some tight tracks an SV can be perfect against a 600. So i hope they get let in class and can help get more guys on grid.
    Whats sad is ARHMA grids are packed and show no signs of going away. Times are changing and time to shake up some classes it seems.
    be safe everyone.

Steven

11. joec

joec brace yourself

not that my opinion counts so much but yes. i think ken is right. lots of those bikes obsoleted given the new stuff and they were so prolific they should have a good spot to get out there. i like it.

RRP and VFR#52 like this.
  12. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

From what I can see the problem isn't about having a class for the bikes to race if people want to race they'll race or whatever class they can get in. The problem is to get people to quit making excuses and come out and race. I'm pretty much the last guy in north central running V7 anymore. The bikes are out there people just want to make excuses and not come play. People want to act like their bike isn't competitive in a class anymore so they quit racing it. That's just a person who wants trophies not someone who loves racing. Let the SVS in V7 why not give him some place to ride. Just my two cents

cBJr, kenessex, RRP and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I haven't raced either V7 class in a few years but agree the SV would fit there. The big question is will it bring in someone who isn't already at the track? If they're already there F2, Lwt &Hwt twins are options. A fourth option might split those grids even more.

RRP likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This might sound odd since all of us racers are supposed to be Type A go out to win people, but I never really raced classes expecting to win. I go out to have fun and if I'm competitive, well great. But I've always raced bikes that I like (RD, RZ, FZR400) and know I'll have fun on. I think the only time I was truly competitive was the days of Formula RD, and that was over 20 years ago. My son and I are getting 1st Gen SV'S to have fun. The only people we really care about beating are each other. Of course it would be great to have another class to participate in, and Vintage with WERA has always been my first love.

15. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Oh, so I don't count? :Poke:

969 and VFR#52 like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Did you get my PM yesterday?

Waterboy and VFR#52 like this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Bahahaha hell no not unless you show up and race. We all dont count unless we actually race. I remember a well liked racer stood up and said make a V8 class and he would bring people to race that class with him. Guess what? He didn't race class and to my knowledge hasn't ever. Another well liked racer helped changed rules in V6HW and V7 HW to help get more guys in those classes so that other racing organization guys could come race Wera. What actually happened was a few showed up and raced one or 2 races and left.
    Unfortunately thats just the facts. Something needs to change and well its not me who is going to suggest anything other than agree that SV would be a perfect fit for V7MW class.
    So get your bikes ready and your budget for next yr and show up and race next yr.
    Thats all anyone can do these days.
    Now i do have a 97 ZX6R that id be willing to sell once it's back together again.

Steven

18. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Chief you are the exception

Waterboy and VFR#52 like this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I wonder if there is a perception issue that AHRMA is a vintage org that also has some classes for some modern bikes, so people believe that it is more low key and less competitive and so it suits their mindset. They also believe that WERA is a modern racing org with a few vintage classes so it is more high stress and too intense for what they want.
    I have raced both orgs and don't find those perceptions to be valid, but perception may be reality for some. How does one change that perception and get vintage racers to participate in WERA or is it a matter of the vintage pie is really too small for everybody to get a big slice?

TLR67 likes this.
  20. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Hey now...no need to have a call for violence.:Poke::D