1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Wrap on Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhino48, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Anybody do a multi color vinyl wrap on a helmet? How'd it work? How much oversize do you need to start with? any trouble with vinyl over vinyl for striping, etc?

I have a snowmobile helmet that I don't care enough about to paint, but am tired of the graphics, so figured this would be a good thing to do while I wait for snow.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A sponsor of mine paid to wrap a helmet. The design is printed on the vinyl. It cost way more than the helmet, has a few overlaps and seams, and looks good from 6ft. IMO, paint will be easier and a lot less work.

BigBird and 5axis like this.
  3. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Its a pain in the ass trying to wrap a spherical surface with vinyl. It can be done but as stated above you will end up with a lot of seams and it won't look good closer than 3-4' away. I do a couple cut graphics on mine, but I have issues with the leading edges peeling because of wind and helmet cleaning so they have to be replaced often.

BigBird likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

YouTube "hydro dipping a motorcycle helmet".

Sweatypants likes this.
  6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Motographics does them. They sell kits for about any helmet.

(I'll triple check that name)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Rhino48

Thanks all for the replies! that hydro dipping is cool as shit.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

What are you guys paying for a painted helmet? I have a brand new KYT that is black carbon and I'd like to throw my company logo on it in paint. I'm in Socal if you got any leads

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not buy a new helmet? You’re going to need one sooner or later.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

depends.. top guys like SL Graphics https://www.facebook.com/slgrafics01 (does some for Brandon Paasch and Sheridan Morais and others) in Europe charge about $600+ (add shipping) for us every day riders (i talked with him couple yrs ago about doing one), a good guy in FL was a bit less, the guy that does my bodywork has touched up a couple and sprayed em with clear for $200+-

13. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

I had Tagger Designs (https://www.taggerdesigns.net/) paint a helmet a few years ago. It was $650 but it all depends on the design. They are in SoCal and so is Troy Lee Designs. There’s probably a lot of other smaller shops on that area. It took about 6 months to get the helmet back after I shipped it to Tagger.

14. Rhino48

Basically something to amuse myself with until the snow flies. I can get (I think) enough vinyl and the tools to do what (I think) I want for about $100. I use this helmet really only when the weather is over 20F, or powder riding, which is less than 25% of my riding I'd guess.

On a side note - sled helmets are almost all polycarbonate. I recall polycarb generally shouldn't be painted, and/or paint doesn't stick very well.

But yeah, based on all this, I think I'll maybe just get a carbon fiber one and call it a day.

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

the painting class I took was at Tagger's. He's sick as shit. But yea there was like 50 helmets on deck when we were there last year. I imagine you gonna be waiting a while.

And outside of hydro dipping, the way places like TLD do it (for their production lids, not actual custom), is there's a machine that basically heats up stretched vinyl-type material like a flat sheet, and the helmet is like vacuum pushed up thru it and it forms around the helmets contours while hot. I watched a show on it once a few years back. Pretty neat.

Just as an FYI too. It takes hours to just tape off a lid and prep it for anything outside of some retro design with only basic colors/shapes, and MOST of the stuff isn't too bad to buy, but HoK show clear is like $400 a gallon. Figure each helmet probably uses like $150 worth of shit between all the tape, paints, stencils, sandpaper, leafing, etc... and also assuming its a paint shop and they just have like every color of glitter or candy or base coat you could want already, otherwise you gotta by everything for a single person. so $650-1200 to paint a helmet that might take somebody like 10-15 hours of actual work, more if its a ton of free hand airbrushing, is how dudes be charging those kinds of prices.