1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headed to Portland Maine. What to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Salvage and Elsmere are good BBQ.

Arcadia Bar is a good time if you like pinball and classic arcade games.

2. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Depends on how much time you have but a nice drive up coastal route 1 from Brunswick up threw Damasritcotta then out to Boothbay. It will give you plenty of small-town Maine and a coastal vibe. Second Becky's dinner in Portland. If you make it up to the Damariscotta area Moody's Dinner is a good stop for breakfast. A little further up is Camden, hike Mt. Battie. The leaf color should be pretty good in any part of the state. The Portland headlight is a classic lighthouse in the Portland area. There are a few ferry rides around Casco Bay but probably closed for the season. You can take a ride up through Gray to Bowdin. There is a place called Rocky Ridge Orchard that has pick your own apples (probably not much left to pick) but it's a nice ride. Bradbury Mountian is in the area (it's really a hill but good for a short hike). Stop at an Amato's and get a ham Italian, Humpty Dumpty BBQ chips, and chocolate milk (Oakhurst). Lobster and steam clams or fried clams are a required dinnah, find them fresh and they will be wicked good. I always get scallops too. Freeport has a bunch of shopping and LL Bean. Bring a hoodie it can get wicked chilly in Octbah.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What’s there to do in Maine in late October/ early November?

Freeze your nuts off, meth and eat over priced lobster that might be fresh but most likely has been in the freezer for weeks.

You could drive to the LL Bean store but why?

418 likes this.
  4. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Duck Fat.
    Dutch’s.
    Stay at the Press Hotel if you haven’t settled accommodations yet.

5. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

One of the few places I went for work, that I went back on my own time. Great seafood chowder down by the water. Local brewery, lots of bars to visit. There's some cool old houses up on the hill overlooking the water. Light houses close by. Drove down to Kennebunkport to see how the other half lives..lots of little shops to keep the wife happy. Had a fun long weekend there.

Yzasserina likes this.
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Get on the bus to SERE school in Rangeley. Tell her it's an outdoor adventure camp. Because it is!

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Legends Cars World Road Course Finals at NHMS Oct. 14-16.
    24 Hours of Lemons Halloween Hooptiefest at NHMS Oct. 28-30.
    I'll be at Start/Finish both events.

Attached Files:

beac83, pickled egg and Razr like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

turn around

ChemGuy, pickled egg and auminer like this.
  9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So, wife has it planned we are going to land in Portland and then drive to Bar Harbor and spend a couple days there. Going to Acadia National Park and some other stuff she has planned. Im looking forward to the food Give me some lobster and crab legs people.

Any must see in Bar Harbor?

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Can't remember the name (might have been Stewman's Lobster Pound) where you can sit on the outside deck and watch the tide go out and then walk over to Bar Island. It was pretty cool. Just don't walk over there and get stuck when the tide comes in:D

Yeah, this was the place https://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Stewman's offers oceanfront dining in Bar Harbor. Being subject to the weather, our season typically starts in early June and ends in early October. These dates are extended when Mother Nature allows and occasionally shortened. Hours of operation also change by season and due to private parties. Indoor and outdoor dining are available. The following is only a guide, dates and times may vary based on weather.

12. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

take a trip to Bangor to see the Swayzie Express

renegade17 likes this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good point. I keep forgetting that I'm in Kentucky and not the Great White North:D

14. assjuice cyrus

Is this a busy time of year with the leaves changing?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes but it'll be over in a couple weeks so the only spectating will be plowing the first snowfall.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

At which point it's glorious ice racing season!

fastfreddie likes this.
  17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I wish I could remember more than Marcy's diner when I was there with Mumford & Sons. We ate some great food by the water but most meals had some booze and we were staying up all night going to different places. Fun town, I'd like to go back and try to remember more this time.

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Dude. That is the gayest picture I've seen posted here in months!
    You've been working in theater too long!

19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Lobster kinda tastes pretty rank to me.

Crab i can do

20. assjuice cyrus

Is the whale watching worth it this time of year?