1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 in vintage: Has the time come?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 5, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think it has. I wonder if it might be time to allow 1st gen SV650s to participate in vintage. It appears that they are no longer a first choice for twins and are being sidelined in favor of 3rd gen, FZ07 and Aprilia 660s. They are now pushing 25 years old and are clearly a good fit for vintage. I suspect that there are some bikes and riders that would be more inclined to go vintage than continue with twins.

fishmonster13, SpeedyE, RRP and 2 others like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd have to make yet another new class for it.

3. kenessex

I would think it would fit in V7.

969, SpeedyE, VFR#52 and 1 other person like this.
  4. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

I could see v-7 mw , superbike rules. A decent rider could give someone on a CBR or FZR a good battle.

SpeedyE, VFR#52 and 418 like this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Do it and they will come.....Me too!

SpeedyE and RRP like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just bought a first Gen from Mark and my son is getting one too. There's two more participants.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. kenessex

Maybe Mark would even grid up, since he seems to have developed more of a vintage mindset since he got old.

RRP and rd400racer like this.
  8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ken - Not untrue.

I’ve actually emailed this suggestion to Sean since 2018 (I looked up my emails when I saw this thread:D)

I am truly hopeful to be back out in ‘23 with at least 2 of the horribly carbbed (sp?) antiquated turds.

And yes I have an stupid affection for the 1G.:beer:

SpeedyE and rd400racer like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

VC - Vintage Clapped?

fishmonster13 likes this.
  10. kenessex

It is well known tha Mongo is just a big meanie, but now maybe ther is hope that he will see the light and put the 1st gen SV into its rightful place in V7. I think it is apparent that it will add some entries without taking away from current classes. If I wanted to race a twin in modern classes, a 1st gen SV would not be it.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bought mine to finally race a bike that wasn't in Vintage, but if there is a place for it I sure as hell will pay the entry fee to be out there. Mark mentioned the Vintage tie when I picked it up a couple months ago and it sounds like a great idea. And I was never really concerned with how competitive I'd be in modern classes. The reason I bought it was because Mark had a well sorted machine and my son and I finally want to see who's the better rider with us both on the exact same motorcycles for once.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

My buddy and I were just this week discussing racing a couple SV650 next season. More opportunties to race them would be very welcomed.

SpeedyE, kenessex and rd400racer like this.
  13. kenessex

Very wise decision. The way I see it is that many 1st gen sv riders would add V7 to the classes they are already running, so WERA would gain ,at least, another entry fee in addition to what they are already getting. The old win/win scenario.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This is kind of my thinking as well. I would like to run this (theoretical) Vintage class along with LWSB and F2. My 1Gs are all “Kinda Superbikey” so the V7 Superbike rules would be a nice fit. Regardless of Mike C’s hatred of carbs, flatslides are a truly beautiful (and noisey) thing.:D

I do disagree with brother Ken, I think the 1G is still plenty competitive at the club level - Not with my old fat rump on it but if I put Tuna on my SB I’d bet he could do just fine. :D

I know this time of year everyone (myself being one of the biggest offenders) talk about “next years plans”. For myself, there is a list of friends I haven’t seen in 2-3 years in person and I know the only way I will is if I get back out to the track. Not to be melodramatic- but I’ve lost too many friends this past couple years and I want to see the ones I still have and catch up.

SundaySocial and tl1098 like this.
  15. kenessex

I never said it wasn't still competetive at the club level, I said that it is no longer a first choice given the newer competitors. Don't forget that these youngsters are unable to deal with carbs.:crackup:

RRP likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I vote for adding the SV

sv.JPG

17. kenessex

Does anybody know the comparable lap times at a track like Barber for a good V7 bike and a good superbike SV?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who on what bike? :D

19. kenessex

I would say a rider who finishes in second in either class would be a reasonable comparison. That would eliminate the super fast guys and me on the slow end.

20. kenessex

I have now heard from a couple of reliable 2nd hand sources that a good V7MW time at Barber is in the mid to high 1:30's range and that a good SV time is 1:38. Are those realistic sounding times? If so, then an SV650 seems to be a good fit in V7MW.