1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big screw up.... oil drain hole stripped.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by eppy01f4i, Sep 16, 2022.

1. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200
    Not a pan, part of the engine casing.
    I already know I'm a dipshit for making the mistake so please don't tell me. :Puke:

I was rushing and now I'm paying the price, totally stripped the drain hole.
    The plug will still screw in flush but hold no more than finger tight maybe a tad more.

I was hoping to time-sert or heli coil it but I'm scared there isn't enough metal. See pics.
    The hole can be sealed as the filter screen hole is right there.

A friend reached out to the owner (his buddy) of Omaha Ducati and they responded "oh shit, that's not good"

Thoughts?
    Try and time-sert/ heli it?

The one suggestion I received was heli coil, stock plug with sealing washer, and RTV.
    After that, never touch it again.

F**K !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I would Time Sert or Heli coil it then use a stahlbus oil drain plug system installed with red loctite. Should work. From the pictures it looks like you have enough metal, but hard to tell.

https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drain-valve/special/

I have started using them and it makes oil changes much easier.

eppy01f4i and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

I don't see why you couldn't helicoil that.

4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Me neither. Looks like more than enough material to work with. You only drill it out a teensy bit from where it is. The hardest part I had with putting a helicoil on my clapped out gsxr was finding one that was the correct size.

Or, what I did on my Bandit was drill and tap it and stick a bigger bolt in it.

5. eppy01f4i

Do HeliCoils retain more of the parent material over the time sert?
    That is my main concern.

Thanks!

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yes, and they leave enough material that IF you fkup again (and helicoils will pull out at some point) you can then timesert it for a forever fix.
    https://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

Boman Forklift, emry and eppy01f4i like this.
  7. eppy01f4i

Thanks.
    I plan on never touching the plug again, I'll just dump the oil from the screen filter hole.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do the timesert & stalbus... you wont ever have to retorque a drainplug again or experience a messy sump dump.

9. eppy01f4i

I looked at the Stalbus, I don't have enough room with the bash guard :(

But my other bikes are getting them. :beer:

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You can drill, up one size and go to pipe thread sometimes

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Damn, i thought overtightening the drain plug on an Aprilia V4 which frequently causes the oil pan to crack , was a big deal. This is a close second. Good luck.

eppy01f4i likes this.
  12. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Its a simple fix, no need to stress over it! Just helicoil, drill it out to the proper drill size, tap it, coil the threads in and you are done my friend. Just make sure to clean the oil pan with a rag soak in oil to catch the dust bits. Helicoil threads are steel vs aluminum so your risk of over tightening is far less next time you replace the oil. Fix it and forget it!

Boman Forklift and eppy01f4i like this.
  13. eppy01f4i

Thanks, gents.

I have a heli coil master kit and new tap and die set coming, plan on tackling this coming weekend.
    I'll report back.

14. eppy01f4i

LOL.. I also have an RSV4 and I'm super careful with that plug after seeing what others have gone through. :eek:

15. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

car dealerships run into this often and their drain plugs dont have that much more thread than bikes. I've seen drain plug thread kits online somewhere.