1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar vs Aftermarket Parts

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Sep 12, 2022.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Doing some new shocks on my 2015 Ram 2500 w/ 130k and figured I would go ahead and replace some other items on the front end. Thoughts on Mopar vs Aftermark on bushings etc. I am typically a put it back how I found it kind of guy on stuff like this but, for example Mopar Stabilizer Bar End links are $98 each vs Mevotech MS258113 at $30. I'll pay what I need to put it back how it was or better, so do i stick with Mopar or is Mevotech as good or better?

2. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Hard to beat OE in terms of quality. If you have the cash, go OE imo.

3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Wrong,lots of times nowdays, after market is better, do some research.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

For suspension, I'm a big moog fan, but if the OEM version lasted 150K miles, then that's pretty excellent.

omatter34 likes this.
  5. omatter34

The primary difference I see is that the OEM are sealed and the moog and mevotechs have zerks.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would just go OEM and not worry about maintenance especially since they lasted so long. Less things to maintain the better.

7. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

I have a few suspension components from Mevotech on my car and they've been good so far.

The decision was made to try Mevotech because I noticed they put reinforcement on the otherwise stamped suspension arms and their parts generally appear to be more robust over factory replacements.

Also picked up a round of greaseable sway bar end links for the same vehicle. So far only needed to grease them once.

omatter34 likes this.
  8. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Is it just the sway bar end links that are worn or the bushings that mount the bar as well? I would think about a torsion sway bar for that vehicle because it makes such a huge difference in how the truck handles. Thuren and Carli both make them and you won't be disappointed with either. As for shocks what were you leaning toward?

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t hesitate to try the Mevotechs. If they don’t last, you’re not out a bunch of money. Grease them with every oil change, like everything else.

At 130K miles, you need to put a pry bar to the ball joints and double-check the tie rod and draglink ends. Those are all high-wear items in those trucks. You’ll definitely want to look to the aftermarket for replacements. Synergy, Thuren, Carli, and Dynatrac are popular, depending what pieces you’re needing.

omatter34 likes this.
  10. F3racer1

F3racer1 Well-Known Member

I went with energey suspension bushings on my 3rd Gen Ram.

YamahaRick, omatter34 and ducnut like this.
  11. omatter34

Shocks are on now. I put on the oem upgrade kit by King. 2.5s w/ reservoir on front and rear.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Damn! Not messing around with cheap stuff. Haha.

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The factory dodge stuff is pretty low quality, moof or top line Mevotech will last longer. As long as you grease it…

omatter34 likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This.

When Dodge dump Dana and went to American Axles in ‘03, the life expectancy of the wear parts was cut in half.

And of course if you want to regear, good luck finding any non-stock gearing. Grumble grumble grumble.

15. omatter34

Bought the truck new in '15 and don't really plan to ever sell it. Had Bilsteins on and figured I'd step it up as I drive quite a bit for work these days and want the best ride possible.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like a reason to just not live in Jersey.

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider