1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’d actually want something pretty heavily XC oriented on that trail unless there are some tougher sections not shown in the photos. Maybe even a gravel bike.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I picked up ceramic bearings (kept the OEM BB shell) from Worldwide Bearings for my Specialized Fat Boy last winter and haven't had an issue since. Smooth like butter. SLF Motion also makes some really nice/complete bottom brackets w/ceramic bearings, but they aren't cheap. Installed those on my Diverge (gravel bike). https://slfmotion.com/

Funny how mediocre some bearings are, on high level bikes. But there's something extremely satisfying in spinning the crank backwards, nice and freely.

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I have some 50mm tires that I put on my Diverge once in awhile for stuff like that. It's a damn hoot.

4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn’t think I’d like gravel for the longest time. I rode a Revel Rover this year and it was awesome. It felt like a rally car.

ekraft84 likes this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seeing what some of you gents are rocking these days makes me quite jealous. I'm definitely more of a "budget minded" bike builder by comparison haha.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Well, I stopped at the local shop last night and they were more than helpful. even stayed an hour after they closed to help us.

I did pull the trigger on a marlin 7 and marlin 6 for the boy. They let us ride them and actually steered us away from the more expensive ones. She explained my concern, where people have come in a dropped 5k plus on bike only for them to not ride it at all or just ride on flat paved trails.

They cover the complete bike for 2 years and told me if we enjoy it and want to upgrade, they will take ours in trade in on an upgrade and gave them both to me for 1400 bucks. So, I don't feel I did too bad.

I did get to experience different gear train as I rode a couple different ones. I didn't like the Scram on the marlin preferred the Shimano. Just the way it shifted and the liked the controls to shift it better.

The only real back and forth was the medium frame to large frame. I was more comfortable on the medium as there wasn't much pressure on my hands compared to the large but felt like there was more room on the large if that makes sense.

So, before I pick them up, they are going to take the 80mm stem off and put on a 70mm and I think that will be better on the large frame.

Looking forward to hitting some local beginner stuff with the boy. He was really excited.

Spooner, TurboBlew, Senna and 2 others like this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

Helmets?

What do I look for when looking at these types of helmets?

I saw some at the bike shop that ranged from 30 bucks to 300.

Any other gear I should get right away?

Also, what is the best way to transport them in my truck? Seems like there is 100 contraptions out there. I would prefer something quick easy but can still use my tri fold tonneau cover.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I like the Bell Spark MIPS a lot and it doesn’t break the bank. For transport, I have a 1Up rack that I love. It’s pricey but they hold their value well and are the gold standard in racks.

If you have a truck I would just get one of the Fox tailgate covers and call it a day.

Other than that, knee pads and gloves would be the other things to get rolling. Knee pads are really trail-dependent. I use Fox Enduro pads because I hate hitting my knees on shit but they are overkill for my local trails.

Dakine, Leatt, and Dainese all make lighter, more breathable knee pads.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

1UP racks are the best, don't buy plastic crap that will get brittle in the sun and snap. ONLY thing about 1UP is that if you live with lots of weather/snow, for some reason they put zinc coated bolts on the rack which oxidize eventually. I just replaced mine with SS bolts and put a little grease on them and no problem since.

Once a Wanker.. and brex like this.
  11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

If you go with a rack, there is no question who is the best. Buy once, cry once with the 1UP. That said, you can get away with a moving blanket on your tailgate for super cheap while getting going. I still use a moving blanket on the tailgate for quick trips every now and again.

Helmets, the Trek store will have good ones. Most likely a bunch of Bontrager as it's their in-house brand and a handful of others. No reason to not get a helmet with MIPS. They may have a couple less expensive without, but just get the additional safety. Find one that fits well, just like motorcycle helmets. All the good ones have an adjustment system at the rear to snug against your melon.
    Personally, I dig the Giro line. I have found a couple there that I like and have crashed in without issue. Giro, Bell, Smith, Scott, Fox, POC, Bontrager, Specialized, the list goes on and on of good quality MTB helmets

You can grab elbow/knee pads. But if you do, get inexpensive ones as you will wear them once or twice and then they will sit around in your garage gathering dust. If you get to where you are doing more gnarly gravity trails on a regular basis, lots of rocks and pointy stuff, then you'll want them more. But daily XC/trail riding? I can't tell you the last time I wore mine, and I ride 4-5 days per week.

Gloves, however, you will want. I mean, some people do like riding without them. But good gloves like Hand-Up just flat fit well, feel good on the hand, you still have plenty of feel and feedback.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I can't definitively answer that, but I haven't heard of any issues similar to the Ultegra crank failures a few years back. You likely already have checked, but the freaky creaking/popping sounds under load will often be seat post to seat tube, saddle to seat post, stem to steerer tube or bar to steerer tube interfaces. Take out/off, clean, re-torque all that. Could also be the non-drive side arm. Same thing, remove, re-grease, re-install.
    Best way to isolate to BB is take chain off chainring and spin the crank, turn it slow to feel for grittiness.
    But again, you've probably looked at all that. I still like the Shimano cranks. As you've found out, the Race Face Next cranks are a liability with their carbon design and pedal inserts. Their aluminum cranks are good though.

Sweatypants likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I feel like there is no better option for getting into the sport than an LBS. I have some really cheap riding friends that cant comprehend how valuable a relationship is with one. It will make life simpler.

assjuice cyrus and brex like this.
  14. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bikes!

For transport, I prefer to use a tailgate pad. They are easy, inexpensive, and the bike is not going to bounce down the road. https://www.raceface.com/products/t2-tailgate-pad There are about 50 different pads and depending on your vehicle, one will likely fit "better" than the others. A Google search should get you the right one. If you are super picky about the paint on your truck, you will want to protect the paint by vinyl wrapping the tailgate. I used this stuff for mine. https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film

If you go with a hitch mounted rack, there is only one I would consider - https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/ Yes, expensive. Yes, worth it.

Helmets - here's a good brand 60% off - https://www.backcountry.com/giro-mo...MI5LuemPGC-gIV7ObjBx0fKgpjEAQYASABEgLBvfD_BwE

Padded shorts - wear under a pair of over-shorts.

Gloves - you'll want some full-finger gloves that fit and allow you to use your phone without taking them off.

Dropper posts - single greatest thing since umbrella girls.

Finally, not sure what pedals you have, but the cheap plastic ones are just that. If your bikes came with functional pedals, you may consider getting a bike specific shoe with a bit stiffer insole. Five-ten is a leading brand.

15. assjuice cyrus

I wasn't planning on buying last night, but their service sold me. I felt they were honest. The lady sat outside with the daughter when we were test riding the different bikes. They also gave me 15% off any accessories on top of giving me a discount on both bikes.

So, yea they made a customer. I felt that if I wasn't happy or had an issue, they would take care of it without any hassle.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

A good local bike shop is worth its weight in gold.

And echo'ing the 1-Up sentiment. I use them as well. Might be overkill as you get started, but I think of them as the Pit Bull of the cycling world. American made and just works awesome. A blanket over your tailgate and tossing the bikes over that is enough to get started.

17. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

I have also had very good luck with Kuat racks, even parking in the city and getting bumped by assholes parking. They are very modular which makes repair/replacement parts/expansion very easy and I like the built in service stand which is super handy for events away from home.

1-Up is a great product as well

18. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

My son is gong to work for them.

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

in COS?

20. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

???