1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

yep, volume! lots of it, pre exhausting the target muscle in a giant set etc. one day i trained the wife was over 600 reps completed, but were usually over 400 on a quad day and the same on a ham/glute day. walking is a challenge 2x a week lol. we NEVER squat...and that sometimes is hard for her because she was squatting 315 for sets of 10 (and still can)...shes always wanting to lay the smack down on the rest of the gym lol.

2. It was actually my Neurosurgeon (who has always been into lifting) that gave me my first challenge. He told me I wouldn’t be able to squat heavy anymore, so he gave me a challenge and said I wouldn’t be able to do it, and it’s only using the bar.

Yes, just the bar…

He said the goal is to do 500 reps, as quickly as possible, only taking 30sec rest periods.

So you do as many as you can; go to failure. Then rest 30 seconds and do as many as you can again. Rest 30 seconds. Repeat. You have to keep going until you hit 500 reps.

At first I was thinking “The bar? Hell I could do the bar a million times”. I was wrong.

Towards the end, as I was nearing 500, I was doing sets of 3 reps. I could only manage 3 reps, then I’d have to rest 30 seconds.

I managed to finish the 500. But I was in a real bind trying to take a shit for the next week. I thought about trying to shit standing up. :crackup:

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Inside the house?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. In the shower :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:Puke:

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Someone else around here can tell you other things you can do in the shower. Are you interested in having kids?

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Bad idea you wouldn't be able to stomp It down after those squats

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Been there, done that. Remember when he was talking about shooting up HGH and discarding trillions of little Broomes over the years because he's horny all the time? I'm assuming many of those died in the shower. A total broomicide.

9. I need to buy a play car by Thanksgiving is longest I want to wait. I’d like to be able to use it to run back and forth to work too which is 100 miles Round trip. Live in NeGa so roads not very well suited for heavy high hp car. I also don’t have time to have the thing up on a rack for hours on end modifying shit. Of course it will get a tune (hopefully HP Tuners compatible or similar). Don’t mind throwing better pads rotors, drop in air filter, etc just don’t want it to be a CONSTANT project. I say this with everything and even my damn alum boat with a 60hp I use for night fishing and cruising up river is about as maxed out on the ragged edge behind where it should be :) R32 would be fun but…. Same with a Focus RS. S4 is on my radar, so are M3’s (they seem to hold their value too well and M5’s drop off steeply then level out. What would be fun is a retired Miata race car. Would have to get one that came with a VIN. I was a passenger in an ex MazdaSpeed car (everything from the race car was swapped over to a donor car with a VIN- too much work for me). It was a blast and huge bang for the buck fun factor. Just also don’t want shit breaking all the time. Ideally $40k max but would spend more for the right car.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::Puke:

11. Boman Forklift

Ya know he owned a Lotus too.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Thankfully no...no I do not.

13. khill

khill Well-Known Member

So.....I had a chance to drive a 2022 GR86 on track. And, recently did a day with my son in his new to him 2018 GTI - which did I like better? Both were basically all stock and man, these 2 cars could not be more different.

2018 GTI
    Track brake pads and fluid
    Larger rear sway bar
    Stock 540tw Conti tires

2022 GR86
    Stock shit brake fluid but fresh stock pads
    Fresh Falcon RT615 tires.

Lap time wise, it's a draw, as in literally the same lap time. The GR86 was at the limit of the stock brake fluid and I boiled the fluid in 1 lap, then having to be a bit conservative on entries. The GTI had TC intervention, even though we turned it "off" and this caused some pretty big issues on exits.

Overall, I wanted to like the GR86 more, but I found myself a GTI fan. No, not as much as the GR86, but more rewarding to get it right on track and with some grip and the TC fixed, I think it will be quicker than the GR86 with brakes. Happy to go into more detail and post some data graph if people want them.

Ken

Sam_Dad Ridge.jpeg

ChemGuy, BigBird, cBJr and 2 others like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

@khill I liked my son's FRS, which is the old Scion version of a new GR86, but driving wise I liked my Mini better. Probably because for the weight the FRS felt underpowered and the modified mini was a lot of fun. That FRS or GR86 with the Suburu Turbo motor (STI) would probably be amazing.

@Canadian Bacon One of the most fun cars I've ever had for the money, was that 03-04 Mini Cooper S that had been bumped up to 205-210HP. It wasn't done with John Cooper Works parts, but the guy basically copied that type of setup when he built it. From what I understand, the 02-06 supercharged versions are the ones to have. I've never driven any of the turbo'd versions, but enthusiasts tend to like the older supercharged one, from the very small amount of research I did 10 years ago.

I'm actually thinking about picking up another Mini Cooper S. It would be a daily driver once I save up some more money to get it.

Last night when we showed my wife's good friend the Exige, she wanted to know if I was going to daily it, and I said no I want it to be special. She said, you know we are getting pretty old, we are both 58, maybe you should start spending some of your money and enjoy some stuff. Now she is probably worth at least $30-50M (self made) so it is easier for her to live that way, but she made a great point. As @noles19 was busing my chops on driving a Ford Ranger with 275k miles the other day, maybe I should. I just don't want to spend big money on a regular sedan...that's not fun or worth it to me.

I also think a Ford Focus RS would be pretty cool or a GTI. When I drove up Ortega yesterday there was a GTI ahead of me that looked very new and was beautiful in blue with 4 tip exhausts. I passed him and he hung with me for awhile and then I decide to hit it for a few corners and he was no longer in view, but I think those are amazing cars too. I'm not sure they are any better than a Mini, but they could be? When I bought my Mini, I cross shopped it with a R32 and at that time chose Mini.

I just saw a Mini of they type I like, that was stock sell on BAT for only 10-12K and that is what made me start thinking of them again. However it appears once they make some ponies like a JCW they double in price?

https://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=mini+cooper+s

15. I live in NEGa. I’m not tempting fate of getting shot buying a mini. Plus not sure my wife is would even let it in the driveway. I don’t even own a truck which is about as rare for men I associate with as he who should not be named winning a race :) I’ve have a very well built Jeep and lots of guns so I get a pass :) I’ve owned a GTI, think 08. It was a 2 year 20k/ year lease so that car had a rough life. Was the one year they had a pretty crazy launch control setting. I used that at least once a day. Actually did a quick search for them and either high mileage or way too much money for what it is used. If I had the time I’d love to build another TDI. I had a Jetta wagon TDi that was a monster. Beat was that thing at track days. Even though you’d tell corner workers and other in the drivers meeting it will smoke never failed to get black flagged as no one would think it’s a diesel. I like all my stuff to look like it came from the factory that way.

16. Boman Forklift

I understand a mini is a chick car, but not sure it is anymore a chick car than the Miata you mentioned or a Boxster? I don't know if I could daily an Elise, but you mentioned liking them and having a budget of 40K. You can get one for about 40K if you are willing to shop for awhile, or buy a salvage/repaired one for 32-38K. I was going to buy one of those and still would do it. Back when they dropped in value to about 20-25K, if they got a small hit in the parking lot that cracked the front or rear shell, the insurance companies were totaling them. You could simply do a little fiberglass bodywork and have a perfectly fine car again. I had a beautiful blue one lined up early this year for 25K, that was already repaired, but it sold before I could get out to buy it.

17. F3racer1

F3racer1 Well-Known Member

gixer1100 likes this.
  18. It’s sad to think of how many Broomes have drowned to death over the years. :D

HPPT likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

As a previous owner of 2 MK7 GTIs and a current MK7.5R, show us the data :D

The GR86 is doing some crazy times in Time Trials with just a suspension, and as fast as some of the turbo cars like a CTR, etc. Obviously a lot of it is driver, but the GR86 is also currently leading Solo Nationals (autoX) in DS. I think at the end of the day the GR86 is the platform to have. But I love my German Hot Hatches a bit more, and well I can get in and out of them much easier. The GR86 is soooo low for a old man like myself.