2007 gsxr600 transmission issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by moeracing, Aug 30, 2022.

1. moeracing

moeracing Member

Hello all

I bought a used 2007 race bike back in the spring. Worked great and had no shifting issues. Has a yosh ecu and hardwired QS that never gave me problems. A few weeks back came out of a turn upshifted and then tried to downshift and it was stuck in 4th gear. Off track on stand it would not shift down but managed to get up to 5th gear and then got stuck there. No prior crashes or other changes.

Took the clutch assembly and gear assembly off the motor....shift star etc seemed to be in the right place, bolts were tight and fine. Mechanism was moving but the star was not. Took off the shift gear rod and shift star assembly. No notching noted. Could move through the gears by hand once the star was removed. Put star back on and it seemed to bind. Eventually it found its happy place on the shift cam pin and reassembled. Worked by hand and on the stand. Tested today at the track and it lasted two laps. Then it got stuck in 5th gear trying to go back down to fourth with no luck. Moves between 5th and 6th freely.

Some research leads me to believe it may be the shift star or the shift cam pin. Very strange. No history on the motor but I can see it has a polished crank and aftermarket rods and runs strong. Would hate to tear it completely down if i can help it. Any suggestions? Older posts mention an aftermarket shift cam pin ....any leads? I know factory pro makes a shift star but other options?

thanks Ross

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Shift fork bent or worn.

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. moeracing

moeracing Member

Guess I missed putting the bike make in..2007 gsxr600..

RM Inside....no offense but wouldn't a bent shift fork cause other shifting issues and not work properly after reassembling the shift star assembly....just curious what makes you think that is the issue. Thanks

4. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

take his FREE advise

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

RM's advice is worth paying for...