1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF - PayPal???

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Aug 24, 2022.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Just sold the exhaust off my Corvette. Guy wanted to pay with PP, which I'm fine with cause I'm legit and not scamming, so if he covers the fee he can have the protection of PP. Whatever.

He just sent payment and PP is now saying my funds are on hold and will be released 1 day after delivery?? WTF is this BS?

How safe is this for me to not loose money by this guy claiming I sent him bricks or a bad product??

Thinking I may need to refund payment and ask him to pay a different way. What says the beeb?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a risk because Ebay always sides with the buyer in a dispute. You stand a good chance of getting fucked. I don't sell anything of value on Ebay for that very reason.

3. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I believe he is talking about Paypal, not Ebay. Ebay won't authorize you to ship until the payment is cleared.

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Get him to send it friends and family. I think that's the only way to get around that if you are going to stick with Paypal.

5. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

man, that whole ebay/paypal funds on hold deal, super inconvenient. i just went through that same thing a week ago and a couple of weeks before that. i feel your pain bro. i chose to ride it out and not make any changes to the payment process so i wouldn't make more problems for myself, which would be my luck. it's all about the buyer with paypal, it seems. not trying to be a downer, i just understand the frustration.

Toadmeister00 likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I sell stuff on ebay and just figure the proceeds all go into a huge black hole. If anything makes it to my bank account, its a win.

DucatiBomber and BigBird like this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Paypal hold is normal for anything over a certain amount. That I would not worry too much about but you are still at risk for the buyer to shit on you claiming you ripped him off. Results will be the same.

racer_11 likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I sold a watch on the BBS and it went beyond smoothly. I tried making it more difficult to make sure it went well but the buyer smoothed it out. :crackup:

great buyer who does what he says off a verbal makes things easy. :)

Jedb likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow that sucks.

I have/had an excellent PayPal ranking. I’ve bought a lot of stuff there over the years, including my Mini Cooper S back in 04/05.

I’m a knucklehead and have never sold anything on eBay, and it sounds like I shouldn’t deal with it now.

I bought a whole bunch of cool slot car stuff on eBay, back in the late 90s or early 2000’s, can’t remember when I first discovered it? A couple cool AFX digital computer lap timers and lap counters that recorded lap times as well as fuel used and you had to come into the pits to fuel up on the longer races.

I loved that thing. I originally had it in the early 80s when I was modifying my G plus slot cars, buying magnets, drilling out chassis and wheels to lower the weight, etc.

I even tied putting a pin on back of the chassis to keep the super fast slot cars with rare earth magnets on track better, etc. I had a rewound armature as I recall, but don’t remember if it was faster?

Anyway, I never used the eBay purchased stuff that I bought as adult. I recently donated all that stuff I paid hundreds of dollars for to the Salvation Army. I didn’t care about the cars and track but it was painful to let that computer go. :crackup:

Tyler and I played with RC cars and motorcycles instead instead of slot cars. My RC cars as a kid has a wire connected to the car from the remote.

Man a Futaba or Airtonics controller is so much more fun. I used to race RC cars 2-3 times a week and mama was okay with it, since it was close to home, kept me busy, and was cheap compared to real racing.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  10. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, take pics of the exhaust before you ship it and after its boxed up. Lastly, ensure that it's a package that he has to sign for.

I got hosed on a penske back in the day because I didn't send it signed delivery and he claimed it never showed. Thief!!!

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

This

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Not always.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Cash in my hand is how I roll. I dont need the money that bad but to risk it on other peoples promises and honesty when it comes to money, meh. No thanks.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm a hypocrite; I use Paypal all the time but I won't accept it for a payment unless it's someone I know. I also quit selling on Ebay and only use Craigslist or FB Marketplace locally. Ebay is a joke for sellers.

racer_11 likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Damn Rob...you and old RZ are neck and neck for the new Tolstoy award. :D

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

And/or, get a dash cam/iphone, and record you actually packaging it, and taking it to the UPS/USPS/whatever store. Also showing you paying for the shipping, and getting the tracking #.

gapman789 and SpeedyTide like this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

sheesh...why not hand deliver it and blow the guy?
    this is why I have a garage jam packed with shit I don't need but don't wanna deal with selling

auminer, YamahaRick and JBall like this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

+1 on all counts

19. A. Barrister

That is always an option. Someone here may consider you attractive enough to allow this to happen? :Putter: :D

20. A. Barrister

Just throw the shit out then. Win-win. You get garage space, and no longer have to deal with shit you don't want.

BigBird likes this.