1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks, I like it!

Jay

2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

They are only available in the boutiques and you just have to get lucky that they have one when you’re there.

sanee likes this.
  4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

In NYC stopped for a few days. Stopped into the Swatch and Omega stores.

The Moon watches were sold out but they are getting shipments in every week

I befriended one of the employees and know the optimal time to go .

Who is in NYC I can get to head over and grab me one this week. Lol I’ll make it worth your time. I leave tomorrow :/

Tried on a couple Omegas and Cartier.
    I bought one of the bio ceramic Swatch . It’s absolutely the lightest watch I have ever worn.
    7BB7B105-781A-438E-8E21-2B84F47943C6.jpeg 68E99ADB-1834-4421-B7EF-0F76ED5FF35E.jpeg D45C1219-8438-4286-A474-F5364D63B7A9.jpeg 089A3A4F-FF3F-4B22-99DB-E6B6CC30CB77.jpeg A0ECCD06-AFD7-48D9-B2E8-6477513F6CE0.jpeg
    0BAE816C-A516-4B0D-9D0A-9312567228D3.jpeg

sanee likes this.
  5. SteveThompson

That Cartier Santos is :clap:. My wife and I have a Jumbo Tank that we really like.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  6. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

At what price point is a watch essentially disposable? That is, it would cost more to service than the cost of the watch.

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Guess that depends on how valuable the watch is to YOU.
    Not resale value. Not eBay value, but to you.

For me, it's the emotional attachment to it. My Tudor Tiger is invaluable. My mom, dad, aunt, uncle, counsins, and grandparents all chipped in when I turned 30.
    I'm keeping it, wearing it, and will probably gift it to one of my cousin's kids. Service is about 20% of the watch value at the moment.

The Baby-G I got for $1.50 at a yard sale because the second hand doubles as a jumping snowboarder will probably go into the bin when it's not able to come back with just a battery swap.

Just depends on what you value about it.

8. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on the watch, the family it's from and the availability of parts and skilled watchmakers to service it. Richemont and other Swiss brands have tried pretty hard in recent years to kill off the ability of independent watchmakers to service their watches economically. Was it a tag F1 that used to almost be cheaper to replace than fully service?

9. SteveThompson

There are too many variables to say for sure. A $2000 quartz Tag Heuer has a movement with a retail price of about $50. You can just have an independent put in a new movement. Some mechanicals are the same way. You can buy a new 7S26 for your 007 for less than you can do a service.

Side note... we are going to NYC over Labor Day and have an appointment with the FP Journe boutique. :eek:

Jedb and DucatiBomber like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's awesome!!!

11. Jedb

I'm very lucky and have a very good family, and extended family.

Tudor Tiger Chronograph: #79270, BigBlock Panda.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BXk2_cmg-Vy/

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

The only watch I have with any sentimental value is the quartz Seiko chronograph my wife bought me. Looking into an affordable diver as it suits my needs best and I like the look. Honestly I'd probably be best served with a G Shock or an Eco Drive Promaster. But I like the idea of having an auto mechanical. SKX prices have kinda gone nuts and they're counterfeited too. Considering an Orient because of the bang for the buck, but I don't know if movements are readily available versus paying for a full service. If it's not a big deal to swap in a new movement that's the direction I'll likely go. A bit more can get a Prospex, and I'm sure movements will be easy to get.

13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Where does the group weigh in on Bell &Ross? There's one used local at a price I'm good with. I'll probably get it but like reading what the regulars in this thread think.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bell&Ross? I’m “eh” about them. I dig a few models, checked them out at the ADs but never got close to pulling the trigger.

15. Jedb

Shop for them on Chrono24, as there are some good options there.
    I do like their GMT w/rotating bezel.

16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Jedb and ClemsonsR6 like this.
  18. SteveThompson

https://www.authenticwatches.com/be...ZFuPfv2Tc2tSR9XwYSPA62rbY4wyx13RoCqQMQAvD_BwE

I have this one. I like it, but I don’t wear it much. It doesn’t scream quality and it is a long way from a Rolex, Omega, etc. If you like it, you should buy it. They are a reputable company and make good stuff as long as you have realistic expectations.

19. SteveThompson

20. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

Finally received the call many of us desire to get! F1EDCF9A-DA38-4C41-B6BC-50F32BD24BD6.jpeg F1EDCF9A-DA38-4C41-B6BC-50F32BD24BD6.jpeg