1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDs: Keep ‘em or Sell/Donate ‘em?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Aug 24, 2022.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Do you guys keep yours or get rid of them? Music can be gotten instantly now, I don’t have a CD player in any vehicle, not do I have one in my house.
    Are they worth anything? I’m most likely going to take them to the used CD/record store and see what he’ll offer.
    What sayeth the beeb?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Rip them all to .mp3, put on a USB stick and toss them out.

Wingnut and R Acree like this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive been buying them only because that what works best in my car right now.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't toss them...stash them and in 20 years someone will decide they really like CDs and pay silly money for vintage.

Shenanigans, YamahaRick, brex and 6 others like this.
  5. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

Sell them to my neighbors in South Florida with Iguana problems

6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'm not sold that that is a good long term storage option. I'd, at least, make a digital backup on a hard drive, or even Google Drive type site.
    I've got too many CDs from musicians that are not available in streaming, or other digital sites. So I'm keeping most of them.

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've still got all mine as well as my old Sony 300 disc changer :D. Someday I'll gift them to my kids, and they can spin them like I still do with my Moms old records. Or they/I can throw them out if they don't want them. Which will probably be the case. I've been meaning to rip a bunch of the stuff I can't find on the web to MP3, but have just never got around to it in the last 10or so years since I went almost all digital/online (except for vinyl).

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

For sure keep copies somewhere in redundant storage.....I just meant for the portability if you were going to take them to play in the car, etc.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

List what you have in your collection, give the beeb first dibs on buying albums they like, then take the rest to the store.

10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Rip to FLAC if you care about how they sound and have the storage space. EAC (exact audio copy) is the program i used for years.

I still do CDs cause I want to actually own what I pay for. Same for movies.

11. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

as I sit here staring at 300 CD's, what is this program and how do I find it?

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Hey... I paid a penny for 12 of them!! :)

stk0308, Sabre699 and pickled egg like this.
  13. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Put them in the microwave and watch the sparks fly. I'm keeping mine. Still listen to them sometimes. I'd do the same with my cassettes but they don't put tape players in cars anymore lol

RRP likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have about 600 CDs stored away in small totes. Large totes get too heavy. I have all the songs I want off them copied digitally.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Capitol or Columbia?

TurboBlew and R Acree like this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I did that with vinyl...before my brother started working at Record Bar.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes!! :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I burn them but then keep them for when the FBI raids on copyright.....

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I pretty much have everything on my phone that I listen to. Plus, when driving, I tend to listen to the news and XM. As far as ripping them to a usb, I don’t have a way of doing that; no CD drive/player.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Send em all to me. More tunes options is always good :D

dtalbott likes this.