1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tacoma owners: school me

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 19, 2022.

1. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I drove my 2016 164,000 miles and got a truck from my employer, 2022 Ford F-150 with the V8.

I drove the Tacoma on Saturday. It's extremely slow compard to the F-150. I got 20 mpg with the Tacoma city and highway. If I drove 65 mph on the highway I might get 22. After 9,000 miles with the F-150 I'm getting 18 mpg. Tacoma is 4 x 2, F-150 is 4 x 4

Phl218 and NemesisR6 like this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My truck is a 2015 F150 with the V8. 4x2.

I’m pretty sure my truck will average out (slightly) better overall than my wife’s new Tacoma.

Oh well. She loves it so I don’t care….

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im up to 13.6 mph hwy in my Armada after changing the plugs. It used to be in the high 11s.

4. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought the Tacoma was slow!

Dave Wolfe likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I know you're making those comments tongue in cheek, but you're on a motorcycle racing forum.

Pretty sure the VAST majority of people drive their Tacos without "needing" to crack the ECU. Same as I'm okay driving my Jeep (that feels like a sloth) right after getting off my S1000 that wants to rip your arms off.

Different tools for different purposes.

6. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

The KDMax tune really changed my '17s personality. Accelerates smoother, shifts smoother and gas mileage is up a bit. https://kdmaxprotuning.com/

I've never rustproofed either of my Tacomas, my '06 had just about 198k on it when I traded it and not a spot anywhere. The '17 looks like new with 80k on it. I run it through a carwash with an undercarriage spray at least once a week once WI starts dropping salt. Clean is as important as anything.

Overall, it's a solid truck. Sure, the aftermarket is insane if you let it get to you. TacomaWorld is ebil, your wallet will hate you.

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

all tongue and cheek appreciated but, what kills me is the people spending 40-70k on a vehicle near the ocean, or in the snow belt, then wont take the time or the 100 bucks to make that investment last... then bitch when it starts to rust in less than 5 years. washing helps but, it only takes one stone chip or bare spot on the chassis, body, suspension, and the rust starts, and really cant be stopped. you can buy fluid film in spray cans and do it yourself in a few hours. or spend 140 bucks buy the kit, get a gallon of FF, the applicator gun, hoses, etc... and be able to do it for aprrox 40-50 bucks a year for the rest of your life, and be able to multiple cars. like fram said... you can pay me now, or pay me later. our 17 gmc dmax, treated with ff from day one, still has raw metal bushings, with no rust on them, going into its 5th year. try that with only washing. your results may vary. Ski

stk0308 likes this.
  8. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

The aftermarket tuning for the engine/trans is not a big deal - I have done it on several other vehicles that had more focus on EPA regulations than user experience...

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Fluid Film smells like a bushel of rotten assholes.

Zep Linebacker is a much better product IMO. It dries dry.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Tacoma is a great simple and bullet proof truck. But in a similar category, my Ridgeline is a much better ride, imho.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[​IMG]

Super de lux Taco

MachineR1 likes this.
  12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I literally just traded my 18’ TRD Sport in last week for a new 22’ F150 super crew with the 3.5 ecoboost. The Tacoma is a elevated Camry, nothing more…nothing less. The engine and trans tuning is horrific and I’m surprised there hasn’t been a class action suit concerning it. The dealer also tried to bang me for $1,700 worth of “standard” 50k service maintenance items. If you’re simply driving around town and hauling nothing ever, great truck. If you plan on actual usage with a small trailer or load, look elsewhere.

13. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Just drove my ‘21 TRD sport from WI to CO with 2 dirt bikes in the back, back seat loaded with gear and two schmucks in the front seats. I got the OTT tune in July ($420 and 10 minutes) and it helped, but to be honest the truck fought hard. Now we are taking elevAtion, hills and a full load. Averaged 19 mpg at 71 mph and 15 at 85-90. Spent a lot of time in 4th gear. There were times I definitely wished I was driving a full-size but 90% of the time this thing suits me fine. Planning to Cosmoline the bottom before winter because I lost my 2002 Tacoma to frame cancer.

will probably do 2” lift and wheels tires if I don’t decide to trade it in for something bigger

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I've had my Tacoma for a little over ten years. It's fine, does what I need it to do.
    But if I were in the market for a new mid size truck, I wouldn't even consider buying a new Tacoma.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So, Ford = better.

Different trucks but I had three parts trucks at work 95 and 99 Tacoma both over 200k miles and a 05 ranger. The 99 was really beat up from before I bought the place and I gave it to an employee who subsequently wrecked it and is careless again…seems to enjoy the bus commute life?

The 95 Toyota, I replaced the clutch, heater core, radiator, brakes, shocks, rebuilt the head, new distributor, wires, plugs, and it had 270k miles. This is the one I sold on payments to my mechanics son.

The 05 Ford Ranger, I’ve had the temp sensor go bad and a coil pack. Also replaced the hoses and water pump. It squeaks opening/closing the doors and the suspension is squeaky, but it drives much better than the Toyotas and has 269k miles.

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Rangers are good little trucks.

I want to do a coyote swap to a step side ranger in a bad way.

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what would you consider is the alternative in the mid-size truck market? I've got a '10 Dakota that I've owned since new. It's really not in bad shape, only 91k miles on it. But, I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with something newer. I do NOT need a full sized truck, but a nice mid-size would be good.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Either the new Ranger or the new Colorado/Canyon. The new Frontier would get a look before the same old Tacoma that Toyota won't do anything to update other than swap out the engine to a shitty mini van engine with slightly better fuel efficiency. I can swap every body panel and interior piece from my "second gen" and a "third gen".
    I've put a lot of money into mine with the supercharger, intake, snorkel, exhaust, King suspension, bumpers, etc. and have beat it off road over and over. Lots of pinstriping on it, no mall crawlers allowed.
    But it doesn't stack up to the new offerings, nor is it worth the premium price.

Hell, my truck isn't worth what the market currently allows. I have been tempted a few times over the last year to let some kid take it off my hands for an absurd price. But then I would need to replace it with an even more absurdly priced vehicle.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The new Nissan Frontier, from what I've seen, seems to be getting good reviews. I've no idea about the Ford Ranger since we got the global platform here in the states a few years ago, but I haven't heard anybody slamming it too hard. The upper trim levels I've seen on the road are decent looking.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for a Ridgeline myself. I test drove one a few months ago but I'm not paying $50K for it. I'll wait until I can find a lightly used 21 for around 40. I'd also buy a Maverick right now if I could actually get the one I want, but I'm not waiting a year.

cha0s#242 likes this.