18 y/o friends daughter set on an R6

Discussion in 'General' started by sdg, Aug 18, 2022.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

My experience, the problem is target fixtation,and they run right off the road, when entering a turn too fast.
    So electronic aids don't help on the street that much, maybe in a braking situation.

G 97 likes this.
  2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Really kind of surprised that we havent gone back to tiered licensing for motorcycles (WI used to have an under 750 and over 750 license until the mid 80's).

Seen way too many kids ask about a 1st bike (usually a liter bike) only to blow off any advice and get it anyways. Most the time I hear they binned it a month or two later. About three quarters of them stop riding right there. 15% get another bike and repeat, 8% get a smaller bike and actually learn to ride. The other 2% well lets just say they end up with a bronze plaque in the grass. This is just local.

dtalbott likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Nice in theory, but a pure cc restriction would keep beginners off perfectly capable low powered machines like the EX/CBR/SV650’s or the baby Monsters.

Enforcing it would be a little tricky, too. Pretextual stops, anyone?

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

OK so after all the wisdom tell her she needs an R1 instead....

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I am pretty sure this is the purpose of the R7 as Yamaha has dictated to us by way of their actions.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Exactly.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I loved my KZ1000. Put a thin head gasket on it and a Kerker Pipe and rejetted the carbs. The thing did amazing hole shots. it was loud, I would put my leg back and place my foot over the end of the pipe to baffle it. :D

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you cant talk her into a smaller/more tame first bike, then try to get her into training. MSF course and track day. My first bike was a 2001 gsxr 750, but about 30 days after I finished the MSF course a buddy took me to my first track day. Just the repetition of speeding up, upshifting, downshifting, braking, using my eyes, over and over, lap after lap...that was without a doubt the most important and biggest driver in increasing my skill level in bike control.

Wingnut likes this.
  9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Been down that path when my daughter was 15. She wanted a dirt bike. I’m thinking a TTR 90 or something, but not her. She wants a Honda CRF150R. Finding one was a chore because everyone wanted one. But, I found one, new. She rode it in my back pastures and wanted to go to the track, and we go. Day ends early with a broken ankle. Bike was gone a month later. Guy bought it for his wife…rinse, repeat…

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Let's say we measure success on a street bike as "not getting into an accident or dying". An unskilled person will succeed less often than a skilled person. Hell, that's one of the primary themes of this thread. With that success condition, you are exactly wrong. Because aids have been shown to decrease accidents and deaths, they literally do compensate for a lack of skill. They don't fully compensate, no one said they did. An unskilled person with rider aids will crash and die less often than an unskilled person without rider aids.

This part doesn't matter, so much that it's not even worth comparing skill to aids. When you have a large population, you will always have some unskilled people, some partially skilled people, and some skilled people. And especially in this country where required training for licensing is kind of a joke, the unskilled people are very unskilled and probably numerous. So why bother saying skills are better than aids? Saying so isn't going to train all those unskilled people. However, requiring rider aids - like legislating that new bikes must have ABS - will absolutely benefit them.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

I didn’t state they didn’t work, I stated they were secondary to a riders skill level and have less of an impact regardless.
    Meanwhile, show me the data that supports your conclusions that electronic aid reduce the inherent risk involved with riding a motorcycle.

Rider skill level does matter. With or with out aids, a skilled rider is better positioned.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  12. stangmx13

It makes me a little sad when someone doesn't bother getting back on the horse.

My wife has found one activity that she likes, that she's really really bad at, and that's dangerous - MTB riding. I think every ride has resulted in at least 3 new bruises. But at least she's still riding and she's definitely getting a lot better.

Wingnut likes this.
  13. stangmx13

I didn't say you didn't say they didn't work :p

There are plenty of partially skilled people where rider aids are more effective than their skills as preventing an accident. And many many people will overestimate their own skills and will think they can't be helped by rider aids - and they will still crash and die less with them.

I think society is past needing to see data for this one, but here's the first google search result
    https://www.iihs.org/api/datastoredocument/bibliography/2042

G 97 likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Fair enough. I think we’re on the same page, generally speaking. :)

stangmx13 likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I didn’t include it, but there’s a side story. My daughter started riding horses at 9. She was competing in hunter jumper by 12, and continued through her teens. She tried to ride the little Honda like a hunter jumper horse. She would lean forward over jumps, even after I cautioned her about it. She decided on her own horses were more important to her than bikes…I was ok with that. And, never try teaching your son golf during his first year of little league. His coach asked me if I would wait till the season was done.

G 97, stangmx13 and dtalbott like this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Too funny. You couldn’t pay me to get on a horse and try and ride it. Did it one time and nope. At least a motorcycle generally only responds and behaves directly to the riders input. Horses, not so much. Even Superman found this out.

17. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

I didn't read all of the other posts but a lot of people are recommending giving advice etc to the girl.

In practice, that kind of approach does not work unless the recipient is already motivated to hear it. One is best to open a conversation with questions about what she expects to have the bike do and her experience on the bike and go from there. No one likes being lectured.

Collaboration on her success in her goals is important and she may see the light that way.

However if she just wants to make tictok videos of her speeding in a bikini there isn't much ability to salvage that as it isn't about motorcycling at that point it is about the likes.

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If the subject of the thread is interested in learning what disappointing sex is like, I'm her huckleberry.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

shame her into it...lol

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Tell her to save her $$$ and get an old school Diversion (known as Seca in US, though this is a 900 [I think]). Should be good enough for her OnlyFans page.

[​IMG]