1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone done the YCRS?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 8, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Can short and fat or old and frail douchebags rule...I mean take the kiddie mini school?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When we did it with race tires, the dads were dealing with putting on warmers and taking off warmer, between sessions. When they stopped on the track the rider had to hold the bike and remember COLD TIRES. Sometimes the dads would come out with a stand and some places the race bikes leaned up against the pit wall......but it definitely is a bit of a pain.

If you go with a racebike I would try and locate a kickstand and put it back on, that will make it much nicer.

One time Nick had Tyler ride the R1, it was his Ty's first time to ever ride a 1000 and it was on street tires. Tyler was concerned about more power and lack of traction on the street Dunlop Q2's. After he came in he said the Q2's felt almost exactly the same as the hard race tire which I think was a 8477 back then, and he was really impressed how much traction he had on those street tires.

So...good street tires will work plenty fine if you want quick warm up and not worrying as much about COLD TIRES.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Chip

Chip Registered

Absolutely! I think ChampMini and Champkids might be two different programs. I welcome your feedback.

4. Yeah, I get that. I was on the JD Speed Academy Staff where the same thing happened. I understand that is part of it.

That's good to know on the bikes. Might have to do this.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

Let me know when you are ready. I'll get you sorted. [email protected]

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

chip

the last inline 4 I’ve ridden or owned was a ‘93 Honda 900 rr

since then all of my bikes are twins.

will this make a difference trying to learn on an in-line 4?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't imagine you'd have any issues Matt. Also like Chip said (and talking to a lot of the students over the years) it's a lot less about the bike itself and much more about the skills/mindset/etc... So unless you're taking it as much for pre event track time for a race as you are the instruction I wouldn't worry a bit about the bike.

stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Based on what I witnessed it will not at all. I think the first time Tyler took it he was still racing a RS125, and SV650.

Also saw a lady that they took from having never ridden a motorcycle to being a good rider. She was in our first class but had already taken the school more than one time. I was impressed how well she rode for never having ridden before her first class.

Mblashfield likes this.
  9. Chip

Chip Registered

None. Zero issue. Twin, Triple, I4.....crusier, sportbike, mini..... or grand prix bike.....doesn't matter. Also long as it's a street based motorcycle with suspension, the curriculum will work. We do programs for the Marine Corps, Harley, Bosch, Police Departments, and MotoAmerica pro's......all the same "Champions Habits" fundamentals scaled to your riding environment or riding goals. The principles of direction, traction, trail braking, body position, body timing, etc don't change with the number of holes in the motor or the position of the handle bars.

You can bring one of your bikes (don't bring the SBK Hawk...lol) we would be happy to put you on a stock MT-07 if you want a twin...but I think a new R6 will blow your mind. :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I saw them (Ienatsch and crew) do that back when it was the Freddie Spencer school. A dude learned how to ride in two days.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Mblashfield

Thank you!

12. Mblashfield

Good to hear, thank you!

13. Chip

Chip Registered

If anybody is interested in a last minute trip to Palm Beach International Raceway on January 30 - 31 to ride with Nick Ienatsch, Chris Peris, Roger Hayden.....and ME lol......use code FunNSun at www.champschool.com and take $220 off your school. This code is only good for PBIR. Let me know if I can help in any way.

stk0308 and G2G like this.
  14. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Here's some free advertising... If anyone has done the two day champ school and liked it - I strongly encourage you to go back and take the Champ Grad school. I took it Monday at Pitt and it was way more valuable than I thought it could be. It's a 2:1 student/instructor ratio. It was me and Blake Davis teamed up with KWyman133. (honestly, Blake could have been my instructor). It's a 1 day school but we had open track all morning (afternoon was evenly split with the street group) and I was doing longer stints than I've done on any track day or sprint weekend. I had some idea of what I wanted to work on, but threw that out the window because Kyle immediately identified some hang-ups I had that I wasn't even aware of - a mental block about using the edge of the track, getting out over curbs, some sh*ty line selection, and jerky transitions. Definitely stuff that's not specific to Pitt and I can apply everywhere. Because we split up and work on our own, instructors can lead and follow at your pace for several laps at a time. I can't emphasize how valuable that is. Definitely one of the best days at the track I've had in a while and has me charged up after muddling along in this sport for the last 15 years.

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I was one day too late to sign up for the two day YCRS at Pitt. Working with Kyle directly like that would be amazing, though I'm sure all the instructors are great.

Champ School more classroom/drill focused then?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Chip and ducnut like this.
  16. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Yes, the two day school is a decent split of classroom, & drills, and lapping - getting the fundamentals right. Everyone works on the same things at the same time but you do get personal feedback throughout the day. Champ grad just takes the personal attention to the next level and you get video feedback every session. All the instructors are way more skilled than me so I'm sure whomever I got paired up with would have been a great experience. It was also great to be able to take the class 1 day after racing sprints there so all my bad habits and bad lines were very fresh.

Chip and mpusch like this.
  17. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

That's awesome feedback.

For the people here on the Beeb I would also suggest getting into their "racer only" sessions. I attended the first one back in March at Inde (AZ), and the instruction changed the way I approach the track. For someone who is launching a proper racing season (not me) the cost of the sessions will be made up in contingency won. The discounts on their sponsors gear available to grads are also pretty substantial.

The instructors were all the names you see up and down the MA starting grids, because a privateer's got to eat!

-Tom

Chip and mpusch like this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Did the school at Pitt last year at the age of 50. Wish I had done it 20 years ago. Probably the most valuable money I have ever spent on training with regard to motorcycles and I have done 4 other training programs. Two on dirt and another on pavement. What really helped was the one on one feedback immediately after you come in off track and then watching the video where you can "see" exactly what the coach is referencing in the breakout session. Gave me specific items to focus on instead of big picture. Baby steps to get where I want to go.

19. Chip

Chip Registered

Gald you had a good time Kurt! I spoke with Kyle earlier and he said your improvement was massive.

20. Chip

Chip Registered

Racer Only was a BLAST!!!

Hint: We are going to do two next year, extend to 3 days, and have one on the east and west coast.....and have a few VERY special guests. A schedule will be out in October. Stay tuned!

IL8APEX likes this.