1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tacoma owners: school me

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 19, 2022.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Just picked up a 2022 Limited for the wife to replace her aging Highlander.

Don't plan on accessorizing too much (the aftermarket for these is obscene, lol), just wanted to know if there are any quirks or issues to watch out for. We tend to keep vehicles on a 10+ year cycle.

I'm pretty familiar with the 3.5V6 as it's rather ubiquitous across the Toyota models (including her old highlander), but just wondering if anybody has experiences with common maintenance items save for normal stuff.

Thanks!

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

ducnut likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

i drove a rental once and swore i'd never buy one.

bleacht and 418 like this.
  4. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have 165,000 miles on my 2016 Tacoma.

Replaced the brakes twice and on the third battery (oil changes every 10,000 and air filter every year)

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. They are painfully slow.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You need to go full blown Somalian bro.

Put a 50cal on a turret in the back and never change the oil, ever.

Gino230 and StaccatoFan like this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And thirsty, or so I've heard.

8. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Own a 2016 Limited V6 crew cab... 115,000 miles. I flashed the eprom for enhanced engine/tranny management and it made a huge improvement.

Other than a faulty BSM sensor (replaced by Toyota even though it was well outside of warranty), just oil changes every 10K and basic maintenance.

Mixed use gets me around 19 MPG. Not too bad for driving a bit too fast too often, but it's heavy and as aerodynamic as, well, a pick-up truck...

9. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Can you give some more info on having the eprom
    flashed? Can I remove it myself and have it sent somewhere in particular? I have a 2015 4 runner that is painfully slow. Not looking for any huge gains but anything that would help this thing get out of its own way would be great. Thanks.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, I was never expecting performance, and neither was the wife.......but so far she loves it. I doubt it will see much "truck" type use over it's lifetime save for towing a small 20' skiff, but she always had the boring "family" vehicle since we had kids and it was time to get her something she actually enjoys using.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have a 2019 sport, Started with Orange Virus tuning, now tuning ourselves through KDMAX tuning group (tacomaworld.com 3rd gen forum). auto trans sucks balls, tune makes it better but, still has quirks. the 6 speed auto has 5th and 6th as overdrive gears and even on flat ground the trans will rush to 6th, then downshift and upshift with the smallest amount of load placed on the trans (it bothers the hell out of me). almost dead gas pedal until 3500 rpms, then the atkinson timing is eleiminated and a "yo vtech boost" hits you. the tune really smooths that out, and gives you your acceleration you would expect. the Tundras and 4runners get terrible mileage my tacoma gets over 20 mpgs regularly.

the aftermarket is obscene like you stated, things you thought didnt matter are so easy to "fix issues you didnt know you had" and attain driving nirvana. I did my own 2" lift front and rear, added toyota trd SEMA wheels, and 1 size up from stock tires. 2 light bars (hood scoop bar, and under grille behind bumper), bed mat, dechromed the interior, factory looking accy switches, catch can on the pcv valve side to keep oil out of the intake/valves etc...

before the first snow event, or even if it doesnt snow in your region, get the thing rustproofed. NOT UNDERCOATED LIKE ZIEBART BUT, RUSTPROOFED, with a petroleum or lanolin based forumla. I used Fluid Film from day one on everything that wasnt brakes, or exhaust, under the truck. if you live in the snowbelt, I would suggest each fall before the first snow to recoat the underside. they were known to have frames that easily rot, this has been "helped" by toyota you know how much they cost so a 100 or so each fall to DIY rustproof, protects your investment.

also get either get factory molded muguards, or longer flat flaps (I went with Tuffskinz)... will help with stone chips. enjoy the ride, they are nice trucks. Ski

cxd10 likes this.
  12. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Yes to Orange Virus initially, then KDMAX and of course, Fluid Film... Tacomaworld is indeed a good source - but of course you need to get past the usual interweb forum fools...

OldSchlPunk and skidooboy like this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

This isn't selling the Tacoma, very well, to me. It's sounding like a Jeep.
    "It's perfect. All you need to do is..." followed by a list of modifications almost as long as, or as expensive as, the OEM options already on the vehicle. And this is coming from a last gen Dakota owner. So I know the worry about what could fail, judging from internet traffic.

14. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Keep people do that too, I though it was just Glock owners…who knew?

TurboBlew and stk0308 like this.
  15. stk0308

Oh wow, I never really thought of that. But, yeah, you're onto something there. LOL Tacticool = Trail Ready

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is, a platform to customize.

The R1 is a great race bike. All you need to do is replace the exhaust, bodywork, suspension, tires, rearsets, clip-ons, engine covers, brake pads, brake lines, and reprogram the ECU. I fail to see why it's different.

My issue with my Tacoma was the engine. It's embarrassing.

17. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

I have only owned two 4 wheeled vehicles in my life (I will be 60 next month). Both Red Toyota Pickups. Both 4 cyl 5 speed manuals. First one had a trans rebuild at 175,000 (clutch too while in there) and a couple of batteries. 21 years/370,000. Gave it to a co-workers kid who was turning 16. Present one is at 255,000 and has had an alternator a couple month back and a cat. Heck the brakes went 215 thousand miles in SoCal traffic. Now I'm in the OWB and I expect to run it another 5 years. Then it's gonna be ANOTHER Toyota P/U and That one should get me to the finish line.. :)
    Good Stuff, Maynard

18. stk0308

"A platform to customize", sounds different than "it's great" from new.

What I'm seeing here is; it's slow, and requires cracking the ECU($$$ and a possible warranty issue). And, it rusts apart unusually quickly. Unless you spend a $100 a year, every year, on a not-an-undercoat undercoat, to protect surfaces that shouldn't rot.

*comments really made in fun. I know it's a pretty darn good truck line*

skidooboy likes this.
  19. matt2491

matt2491 Well-Known Member

You can do anything with a Tacoma. I put a camera crane on mine.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Unfortunately you cannot get them with manual transmission in a base model 4 cylinder anymore. You can get a 6 speed behind the V6 on 3 higher model trims in 4x4.