1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to the future

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Aug 14, 2022.

1. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

You sure about that?!

Computers, The Internet, Space Exploration and Nuclear Weapons all first happened before 1992.

I’m 40 and I the only thing approximate those achievements are semi-conductors, which has made everything “smart” from our phones to our refrigerators.

2. ChemCal2

ChemCal2 Member

I'm not G 97, and slightly off topic, but I think the greatest changes must have been experienced in the late 1800s where someone could technically have lived into the 1960s or 1970s. One moment you are riding a horse, getting water from a well or river and living life like everyone who has come before you for thousands and thousands of years. Next moment there are magical devices that you can speak into and communicate over vast distances, flying objects in the sky, magical boxes that display images and sounds, metal objects driving down the road instead of horses, men landing on the moon, etc. etc.

5axis and ducnut like this.
  3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I tend to feel like maybe it's the other way around (from G 97's assessment) as well. Between 1955 and 1985 a generation got to see the space race. That's pretty damn impressive even without the technical advancements that brought us FM radio, color television, home audio equipment that exceeded what was available to the biggest studios only a few decades earlier, global satellite communications, personal computers and hand-held electronic video games. I remember being a child in the 1960's and believing that by 1990 we'd have moon colonies and flying cars.

Yes, those personal computers that were available in the early 1980s have gotten smaller, more portable and more powerful. But is that really as impressive a leap in technology as getting our asses to the moon was?

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Agreed. The developments of the Industrial Age are staggering and were only improving into the late 1800’s, creating incredible opportunity and wealth. People continued that creativity into the next century, along with widespread electricity coming onboard, and things only became more complex and refined. The world was rocking and rolling.

Surprisingly, computers actually predate the whole period you mention.

My first exposure to one was 1983 and I was dumbfounded as to what it was, much less capable of. Unfortunately, or not, I’ve always been an analog, nut-and-bolt kind of guy. But, for those whose mind embraced them, their potential has been limitless. Seems nuts, looking back.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

100% positive. I’m not talking about discoveries I’m talking about technology advancement as a whole. And as I stated although more advances were made from 1992 to present its still seems like a bigger gap from 85 to 55. But no question, technology advanced at a greater pace between 1992 and today vs. 1955-1985. It’s not even close.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...leaps vs refinement and further development. Don't care. My grandmother went from horseback, wagons and letters to men on the moon, space travel and atomic energy. I've gone from a phone on the wall to an annoying device in my pocket.

Bugslayer and YamahaRick like this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

You forgot to mention you going from wooden teeth to acrylic dentures. Now that’s a leap.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hers may have been ceramic. Don't know don't care. They slept in a glass of water by her bed.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

That scroll down to my birth date is pretty damn long these days...

R Acree and gixxernaut like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I push the wheel to take the clicking noise off on my mouse :(

R Acree likes this.
  11. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Well, I graduated HS in 1984, so most of you can kiss my skinny tie using, Members Only jacket wearing ass!! :crackup:

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not gonna do it, youngster.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well I beat you by 4 years, 80 for me.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Effin children.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I still shop at GAP.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well, drop them parachute pant... let's get this over with. :crackup:

Class of 86.,.. ya old fart.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm happy I grew up when I did, born in 79, really got to grow up somewhere in between. 80's stuff, cassate tapes, video cameras, vcrs, blockbuster, cds, beepers in middle school highschool, never new internet till I was 20, didn't have a cell phone till my mom forced one upon me racing and doing track days so she could call me, kept a flip phone till I meet a girl, who had a phone that could take better pictures than my camera in India 4 years ago. Bought a smartphone, hate it, but takes great pictures, you need it to do business, Meet the Brazilian girl who bought me a cheap smartphone, my smartphone is behind the times when I'm in the Bahamas because its not 5g. So now into the future, got myself a new fancy phone. It's fucking useless to me except for about 5 things, well life is weird in 30 years these will be the good old times. That I believe, I'm happy at 42 now, it seems to be coming into a youtube, tictok, insagram, facebook world. Glad my life will be ending when this is beginning

grasshopper likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Females buying you cellphones, seem like a big part of your life.

Rebel635 likes this.
  19. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

Googling... :)

ducnut likes this.
  20. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

Word processor programs were a thing then. What computer program(s) did you use?