1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica I Superbikes at Minnesota I Brainerd International Raceway - July/29-31

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jul 27, 2022.

1. bentforks

bentforks Well-Known Member

What about a modified woodruff key? Because someone called them out on fb about it.

Attached Files:

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

First off, I can't imagine how anyone could even see a key in that photo.. regardless of resolution, keys are obscured by the part they hold in place. Second, I cannot fathom any modification to a key that would influence power or torque output. Even if you made it weigh literally nothing, they only weigh a few grams to start with. Any modification to its shape would worsen its performance; their sole purpose is to keep two rotating things locked together with zero relative movement. When the goal is reduction of movement, it's hard to improve on zero.

So... that comment smells, to me.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Um, offset keys are very popular in racing, especially when timing is "fixed" Even a couple degrees advanced or retard will make a difference.
    Also, if it didn't do anything, why use it?

FYI, I have zero knowledge to if they did or didnt use that. My comment was specifically just towards offset keys.

4. bentforks

so could that give 2+ hp?

5. Robby-Bobby

No clue. Have not done it on a 400. I know there are several applications that it does have a noticeable difference. Others, not as much. I don't want to speculate becuase we are kinda discussing 400's in Motoamerica and I don't want to falsly throw shade especially since I wasnt inside them (giggidy)

G 97 and bentforks like this.
  6. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Thus far only Mongo and yourself have I felt comfortable to push the banter.

It's true, go try to find anyone else and quote it.

However if you feel uncomfortable I'll stop. Sorry to of hurt your feelings.

Difference is intent. Some of you are truly angry. I'm only having fun.

A. Barrister likes this.
  7. bentforks

That’s crazy that such a small modification can be noticeable on certain motors. I couldn’t imagine anyone would ever think about protesting that

hopefully some of the 400 engine experts can tell us if that would or wouldn’t help with hp

8. FastByKids

Whoa, this stuff is getting serious and deep.

9. bentforks

Definitely agree there is no way that it could be seen in the picture but does she know something is what I was wondering

10. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Made my own for my Ape RS250 , definitely changed/improved how it ran. ( probably still didn't make my low talent self any faster )
    Now they got the zeeltronics programmable kits for the old Apes.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Considering the source of the info is facetubes I'm going to start with hell no until I see information elsewhere.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Oh interesting, I hadn't considered that the modification could be simply an offset. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how a lighter or tighter key might make a difference, lol.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

We ordered some normal keys from Ducati back in the '80s and they accidentally sent us the offset type. I'd have to check with the owner to see if they made a noticeable difference.

14. FastByKids

Very clever...

[​IMG]

G 97 likes this.
  15. Robby-Bobby

They are big in Kart racing until you get caught. LOL especially in spec type racing.

16. FastByKids

I'm wondering if a O-scope could be utilized. If everyone is idling at 1500 rpm the curves would have to look a bit different between spec and advanced/retard. Only thinking out loud. This would keep a teardown much simpler.

17. Robby-Bobby

man I don't really know. In karting they pull the flywheels to check, espeecially that everyone has caught on. On the bikes, it would only take 5-10 minute to remove.

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Leave the tuning to the techs, you got enough on your plate on the racetrack...

:D

Gino230 likes this.
  19. FastByKids

Yea, I was thinking a simple clamp on the spark plug wire and you could do a 100% spot check without much drama. Again, I know nothing. All speculation.

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

We got opened once last year to check the key along with 4 other bikes IIRC. As I said before spark is a big deal on these motors.

bentforks likes this.