So Bummed killed my bike☹️

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Aug 2, 2022.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

It was an awesome day in the California desert today.
    Heavy Thunder showers this morning and then a great very cool afternoon with perfect trails.

So I says to myself.."self .it's a good day to ride the Banshee"
    Screenshot_20220802-004327~2.png
    So I planned on about a 40 minute ride.. coming down a trail about 40 miles an hour there is a large puddle about 8' wide and maybe 8" deep....
    I'm moving a reasonable pace and figured I would glide right over it ... Right? No problem.
    Instantly as soon as I hit the puddle the engine shut down and I came to a stop in less than 20 ft...

WTF ? I say..

Well, Dammit if I didn't suck water up through both 33 mm carburetors into the engine and hydrolocked it.

8" of water .. came up and even penetrated the nylon outerwares of the k&N filters...

Now I have a almost new $3,000 70 h.p. Banshee motor that's f***ed

I can't really afford to fix it ...I'm buried with other projects...

I have another 4 mm stroker Crank that I was saving for my RZ engine build, but I don't want to use that as I'll never get the RZ done..☹️ It's a very nice crank from Crank works basically a hot rods Crank that they completely take apart and make damn near perfectly balanced.

Anyways what was supposed to clear my head on a beautiful day and get my mind off of things .. just made it worse..

4 nice tall glasses of Ice & whiskey have delivered no sympathy, nor deterred the depression.

So I thinks
    I'm going to go to sleep...

And tomorrow.... I think the day has come where I am going to get rid of all my projects and just keep one or two.
    Old things are cool & fun ..only when they run!

Sure they're great to look at but what good does that do ya..lol
    Sure budget is always a factor No doubt but it's the time it's the time that these things require I ain't going to live long enough for all these things... lol

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    RichB likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

This news makes YamahaRick sad. :--(

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Even quads are identifying as “Bi” now????? Sheesh when will it end?!:D I keed I keed, but I share your pain of blown engines. Best of luck:beer:

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've had too many projects laying around my basement before. There's definitely therapy in downsizing and changing the scenery from time to time. Be optimistic for the next chapter.

YamahaRick and RRP like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

quads are bikes? :)
    hopefully the rods make a nice pair of earrings

YamahaRick, G 97 and cpettit like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, join the club. I gave my son my Monster, and a couple weeks ago he said the gears sounded horrible so he shut it down and pushed the bike home. Finally got a chance this past weekend to get into it, and found this on the drain plug. Ends up the transmission is toast.

[​IMG]

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

8. Brad Mootz

Brad Mootz New Member

I had 2 Banshees. Wish I hadn't sold them!

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Quads are not bikes.

SUV's are not trucks.

Electric bikes cause low testosterone levels.

Plan accordingly.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Have you actually verified shit is broken in the motor? That engine should be much more durable than that... Pull plugs, kick over engine and blast water out of cylinders. If the water in the engine didn't bend the rods it should be okay. Drain the carbs, new plugs and fire that bitch back up. And why in gods name are you running open pods? Put the airbox back on that thing

long path/road likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you forgot the most important Banshee motto... Valves are for toilets!!!

tony 340 likes this.
  12. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

The irony in the fact that crotch roasting race bikes might actually lower testosterone lol

Agreed in principle though.

Are you running pods on the ends of the carbs? I am very weary of K&N filters, you can see through the things if you hold them up to the light. Racing is racing if you need that last 1/2 horsepower but I dont like it when my toys break down.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You know proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse or helping your uncle jack off a horse.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You broke the coolest quad ever made? Dafuq wrong with you out there riding like you're in Baja old man? Need to sit down somewhere and think about the error of your ways. :D Hopefully it's not dead.

Nice backpack, I just got a 5.11 for work great stuff.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Call Livengood.

16. grasshopper

I've completely swamped a couple 2 stroke dirbikes. Literally just pull the plug, drain the carb, kick the thing over several times with no plug. New plug, put drain plug back in carb bowl. Fire that bitch back up and have fun.

bpro and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  17. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support.

I'll certainly get to it.. but I was sure hoping to go for a ride in September with all my friends once a year ☹️I'm not going to make it this year second year in a row ...dammit.

I'm fairly certain s somethings bent.
    That Kickstarter will NOT budge.. 1st thing we did take the plugs out, water on both of them, popped carbs loose drained the bowls.
    Didn't move a mm

As far as open filter pods I'd venture to say 80% of all built banshees run them I had nylon outerwears on them...
    And I never thought that a very shallow mud puddle would ever pose a problem I think it was just terribly unlucky.. that the splash ended up on the filters... They're big big filters the biggest you can finagle in there.
    I literally thought I would skim over the entire surface?

Yeah I know the Banshee looks pretty aggressive and it is ...but I certainly ride it like an old man I can't afford to get hurt anymore.
    No matter what anybody says once you're in your 40s and you break/tear s*** it just don't go back together right...ever. Now in my 50s.. it's considered Russian roulette...lol

I love the Banshee, but I'd just as happy on an old three wheeler /quad with cargo racks on it.
    No 2 wheelers in the dirt for me .. I'll kill myself or do great bodily damage with a two-wheeler.. you see I've got a problem as far as two wheelers go my "brain " tells me I need a kx500 or a CR500.
    Even an xr400 I'm afraid will give my right wrist too much freedom..
    A KLR or Dr is just way way too Big ,& heavy..
    So perhaps a Yamaha TW200 fat tire bike!! That sound safe enough..lol

18. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

This. I raced a 2 stroke ATK 406 (rotax) several years ago and that beast had a drain plug for the crankcase just for this situation. Best part was that you used the same wrench to remove the plug as the spark plug.

19. grasshopper

Well shit... :(