1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motorcycle hitch carriers

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Aug 2, 2022.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

been thinking about getting one for my Grom. My SUV has a 5k tow limit and a 500lb hitch limit, so I should be good.

Anyone have a specific one they recommend? This would be for 8-10hr road trips.

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I've been using a harbor freight model for over 8 years.

A few months ago a local welder reinforced it as outside storage was not kind on the metal.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had an aluminum one that worked well for <300lb dirtbikes. I also have a versa haul that can carry up to a 600lb bike. I modified it with a better wheel chock.
    The most important part is the anti rattle brace. Keeps the rack from wiggling & tie downs loosening.

Boman Forklift and DmanSlam like this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

https://www.mototote.com/

The best there is. I have hauled bikes thousand of miles with no issues. Everything from my Grom to Ducati Monster.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

6. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Only concern should be hitch weight capacity and not exceeding it. Carrier plus Grom and you may want to add a bit since it acts like a lever. I use them all the tim to get a fourth bike on my f350. Finally I have a friend that modified one with a pitbul trs worked really slick for his r1.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

thanks. good deal, but still a bit high for what i'd be using it for and the amount of uses i'd get.
    assuming you're somewhere along route 95 also, because shipping would probably get pricy.

8. Tristan

I'm in zip 43055, probably a good hike for you. I'm sure a HF version would be just fine for your use. Mine's rated at 600 lb.

9. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Gino230 likes this.
  10. Tristan

FoFiddy is the new treeFiddy... inflation

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Love my Versa Haul

Once a Wanker.. and jasonhise like this.
  12. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

:stupid: What he said.

Buy a good one once, rated for more than you need, and you'll keep it for life and use it more than you think. I can install the Versahaul on the hitch in about 3 minutes.

13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i appreciate the feedback so far but you guys are recommending a $600 - $1000 kit to hold a 225lb Grom that's worth $3000.

is there anything a bit more suitable for what i'm doing, or am i stuck with these fancy kits made for sportbikes?

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Get the HF one. It's not as nice, but it's not gonna break.

15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I have the HD unit and have used it a few times. It works fine. Only a few minor issues:
    The ramp it comes with is really short so it leaves a steep angle for load/unload. More of an issue with my heavy WR400.
    It does require a couple wrenches to install and remove from the hitch due to the stiffeners on either side. Makes it slightly less convenient if you have to remove it your destination which applies to me as i is it on my toyhauler. Also had to use a pillow around the handlebar so it didn't ding up the back ramp.

Still, for the money it should work fine for your Grom.

DBConz likes this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wish I could find one that carries 2 scooters

18. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had one of those and they work great once properly setup.
    My buddy uses an extended tongue version on his JK with 35x12.50 spare to head over to Field of Dreams every week.

Greenhound386 likes this.