1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Ed Key

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Jul 23, 2022.

1. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

Ed was the benchmark. So many of us from the midwest can identify our era from what Ed was riding and winning. I started at Blackhawk when Ed was on his CB1. On our fzr400's we thought we'd catch that old guy in his red suit. We never did. He was the standard. Thank you, Ed.
    Gentleman racer, RIP Ed

Once a Wanker.. and vfrket like this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I got my first national championship because of him. At Daytona for LW SuperSport. There were two well known brothers (can't recall their names at the moment) riding fully built Buells entered in the LW SS race. Ed told them he was going to protest and they withdrew. I couldn't have beaten them.

This was the year he was crashed up from some other incident, or I couldn't have beaten him, either. The year the Race of Champions came down to Homestead due to the Daytona repave, he smoked me and that was my home track!

Just an all around nice guy. Godspeed, Ed.

G2G and G 97 like this.
  3. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

RIP Ed. Sincere condolences to family and friends. Having seen him race at Blackhawk and Road America was incredible. He was so fast on those SV's!! A pleasure to watch as a fan.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I was relaying my first memory of meeting Ed to Ken a couple days ago.

Gingerman 2005 - I still have a vivid mental picture of him using about 8 inches of pavement to go by me on the inside of the right hander to the back section of the course like I was standing still. He then disappeared like something out of a cartoon...

RIP. Godspeed.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

6. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

RIP racer...

I never really met him, but I remember early when I started racing at BHF I was close to the entrance to the pit and this old dude in a textile suit on an SV650 comes up to my pit and asks to put his battery in my pit (it was hanging off his footpeg) before he went on the track. I'll never forget that.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

That sounds like the year Nate Kern fucking punted Ed. He never forgave Nate for that and I promise you he took it to the grave with him.

5axis, RRP and malik ross like this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Ed was one helluva good guy and fast as hell.

His SVs were always clean, light and well sorted machines full of handmade one off parts.

I 1st met him at a doubleheader at BlackHawk Farms circa 07ish? He was still recovering from when he got punted by Nate I think and after one of the races he came over to thank Super Dave Rosno for the tow and helping him breakthrough his fear barrier during that race while chasing Dave on his SV1000.

Godspeed Ed, RIP

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Found out real quick who Ed was when I started racing in 2000 on a SV 650 at Blackhawk and all midwest rounds. Like many I never beat him and just to keep him in sight for a lap was a challenge. Always had a smile on his face and willing to lend a helping hand. Was always a blast shooting the shit with him. He will be missed. RIP

10. grasshopper

I beat him once…. In the rain. And he nicknamed me “The moisture missile”

PPPope, TLR67 and HPPT like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sounds like an advertisement for a suppository.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Never had the chance to meet him but he sounds like an amazing individual who shared his passion with style.. Condolences to all that knew him...

13. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Rain was his kryptonite. Dont know why, as smooth as he rode he shouldnt of had any problems in the rain.

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you're right. They got together in the International Horseshoe. Ed posted about it on the CCS forum and also wrote a letter to RRW mentioning the incident. I was in that race, but didn't see the it happen.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The latest news from Barbara Key via Facebook.

The celebration of Ed's life will be held at Pooley's Sports Bar on Saturday, October 1st, 2022.
    The celebration will be from 3:00pm to 9:00pm.
    Pooley's Sports Bar
    5441 High Crossing Blvd., Madison, Wisconsin 53718.

gpz11, 5axis and 418 like this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. CounterSteerer

CounterSteerer Screwed

One of the most over engineered SV650s ever.
    Lightweight Legend Ed Key!
    R.I.P.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  18. grasshopper

The celebration of Ed's life will be held at Pooley's Sports Bar on Saturday, October 1st, 2022. The celebration will be from 3:00pm to 9:00pm. Pooley's Sports Bar 5441 High Crossing Blvd., Madison, Wisconsin 53718.

19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The day before the slimy crud run :flag::clap:

20. grasshopper

Might have to get a room up there and do the crud run this year. I'll bring the old CB750 cafe bike with me