1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starlink

Discussion in 'General' started by Inst Tech, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

So cool!!! Night Sky app has them in its dB. Gonna start looking for them. Supposedly, they’re going to start painting them black so they don’t light up so brightly.

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Followed it pretty closely for a while now. The rate at which they're bringing it to market is incredible.

They're really only visible like this when they're newly launched and raising their altitude. As Motion alluded to, they're working on reducing visibility - mainly with a sunshade that they'll introduce soon.

First public beta should be available in six months. Should be awesome for the people who have crappy internet options outside of cities.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

hoping this is the cure for no internet access at our canada home. Ski

mpusch likes this.
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally. No more bills like that above. That is a pretty standard one, and there have been some that were double, even more.....

We're STILL on a waitlist for residential service, but I just couldn't wait for "Mid 2022" anymore and got the RV version when it became available to me again. It's $30 more a month, and the speed gets limited to prioritize residential users, but it's still cheaper and faster than what I currently have (4g/lte hub). I'll switch it over to residential service when my cell opens up.

Looking forward to being able to watch motogp on the bigscreen again, instead of a laptop on choppy low res. Will also be getting into Iracing this winter. Woohoo.

Boman Forklift and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

Look into the RV version if you haven't already. It's slightly more expensive per month, but you can pause service, and use it anywhere.

skidooboy likes this.
  7. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Ordered February 2021, still no delivery date.

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Very location dependent still, but allegedly they're up to building 6k per day now.

9. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I’ve had Starlink for a few months now. Prior to that, my only other option was DSL at a mind-numbing 1.5 mbs. Starlink gives us 45-120 mbs. You can’t have any obstructions so if you have lots of trees that’s a problem. My neighbor spent big bucks getting several big trees taken down around his house. I didn’t have that problem. However, lately the speed is slower (4-30 mbs) and there are intermittent outages, and Starlink does not have a contact number nor a customer service email. You can submit a “ticket” for problems but their customer service is non-existent. But with a dearth of other options I’m stuck. The speed may be dropping as more people are allowed on the system and they’re not expanding infrastructure fast enough to keep up.

10. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

We see some slowdowns in peak times, 5-10pm according to the app. But usually nothing slower than 30mbps. It has come a long way since we first got it in 2/21. Recently been seeing some improvements in dealing with outages due to obstructions. We have 2 tall trees that just get into the view of our dish. Winter with no leaves was no problem, no obstructions seen for days straight. But as soon as spring came it was up to 10 minutes every 12 hours. A few updates in the last few months has gotten that down to 3-5 minutes every 12 hours.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I was campin in Michigan last year and late at night while staring at the sky we saw a train of 4 or 5. I assume it must have been this but before I just wondered if we had seen some sort of phenomenon. I feel like Joe Dirt finding the ball of frozen poop now.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The signal will travel through wood but not water. Leaves have water. Get someone to top the trees.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Hate those things. They really screw with the telescope

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Took me a minute to understand what I was looking at.

In my defence, I had the screen brightness down. It looked like either a freestanding chimney in the background, or a mini chimney attached to the main one...

upload_2022-7-23_18-59-25.png

15. Dan Dubeau

lol, Back one is the basement woodstove. Tall stainless one is mainfloor woodstove. That one doesn't get used much since I put the furnace in. I almost removed it when I redid the roof a few years ago but it's nice to cook on when the power goes out in the winter.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I would never be without wood at least as a back up for that reason right there.

17. Dan Dubeau

After installing the propane furnace a couple years ago I could never go back to full time wood heat, but I'd never get rid of them both. Wood heat just warms you different.
    I only process maybe a cord a year now from trail maintenance etc. No big log trucks like we used to. It was kinda fun though, but I just don't have that kinda time anymore. Maybe when the kids get a bit older I'll get another truck load and make them split and stack it lol.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Does anybody have experience using the RV model in areas marked "coming soon" (in my case western NC). I read this on the Starlink site:

Users can expect high speed, low latency internet in areas marked "Available", and notably slower speeds during hours of peak usage in areas marked as "Waitlist" or during events with many collocated users.

Am currently paying the same bill for a landline phone (not really needed) and 5mb DSL "pro", so even if it is "pretty slow", that would be a big improvement. Have been on the residential waitlist more than a year.

19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I heat the house solely on wood. Propane is too damn expensive. I have acres of oak wilt to burn...

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

oak wilt

That one seems to be biting here now. Thankfully, I only have a couple of Oaks.