1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trucks that haul stuff...

Discussion in 'General' started by Evad101, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a diesel truck.

Family and I took a trip to Yosemite National Park last month towing our RV (Desert Fox 27 toy Hauler) in our 2015 GMC 3500HD (6.0 gas motor) The truck did great but I yearned for more pull on some step grades but most of all the gas mileage sucked.

5-6 mpg average which translated to about $1.00 per mile based on the average cost of gas. Total round trip was just @ 2k miles so you can see it wasn't cheap. Even with the more expensive diesel fuel, I would have saved money with the right diesel truck. I have friends who get 15 mpg towing in their rigs.

Ordinarily I'd just go look at a standard diesel, either a RAM 3500 w/Cummins or GMC 3500HD with Duramax (I dont know enough about fords to say yay or nay) but I use my truck for more than just the RV.

I tow my Tracked Skidsteer around in a dump trailer as well. This set up is heavier than the RV and I am defiantly pushing past the 13.5k towing capacity on occasion depending on what bucket I have on the Skiddy.

I also have a 15k lbs Excavator I'd like to haul around which my truck wont do. (would need a nice flat bed trailer as well)

This got me looking at larger rigs that could still serve as a sort of a "Truck." Something along the lines of a C4500 Kodiak, RAM 4500 or 5500, etc.

I put very limited miles on the truck as I work from home so its mostly used only when towing. My current just rolled past 60k miles and I bought it with 32k in 2018.

I was thinking if I hurry and sell it before the market takes a dump (which with our economy and inflation looks to be happening) I could get more than I paid for it now, sit and hold out for a few months and pick something up for the $45-55k range with 60-70k miles on it.

This rig here would fit the bill nicely but its more than I want to spend.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/portland-2021-ram-5500-crew-cab-chassis/7509897271.html

I like the idea of these but not sure on the age of them and would ideally like 4x4
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2004-gmc-c4500-topkick-hauler/7501775170.html

Then I saw this and wonder if it is too much truck? Its at a local auction coming up and might go for the right price
    https://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/8442/Item/1105

Whats say you all, who has ideas, experience, what do you use, etc.

And...... go!

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How often do you and your family take the trailer on multi thousand mile trips?

If the answer isn't "damn near weekly", keep your gasser (IMO, and I assume will be the minority here).

Ian178 and Rebel635 like this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you're only towing and using it as a work truck I don't think the last listing is too much truck. When you upsize your equipment you'll be glad you've got it. Being local's a plus too.

Boman Forklift and Evad101 like this.
  4. Evad101

Not often. I see it as once or twice a year that we will do this. It was the first time for us as we just got the RV in December.

5. Evad101

That was kinda my thinking. Can't have too much truck for hauling the load...

We do occasionally use it for errands if my wife or I have her car out. though lately with the nice weather the Burgman 650 is pretty handy and economical.

The only thing I need to keep under is having a commercial license to drive them so need to keep the weight down(ish) Also my insurance person says the more it weights the more they will charge me or insurance as it goes to commercial insurance.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The new car market is about to take a dump but the truck market is still strong. Buying and selling now probably puts you at the higher end of the cost spectrum. Having said that, sometimes you gotta jump in. I'd wait until next year if I could.

7. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

You think it's going to dump?

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are you taking your heavy equipment trailers off pavement? None of those trucks appeared to be 4x4, so I vote none.

I'm closer to SuddenBraking's answer than I am to suggesting a bigger/diesel truck. Bigger truck, for your heavy equipment, doesn't necessarily equate to more towing capacity, either. Gotta research the numbers.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Yep. There will be certain model exceptions, of course, but SUVs will take hit over the next 2 (maybe three?) years. The problem always is waiting to buy also means waiting to sell (for most of us). My opinion is you gain more by waiting as 20% off a new car is >> more than 20% off your used car.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Just realize you probably already do but with a dually will absolutely be required to have a Class A CDL.

11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

4500's and up are going to be geared so short that the mpg difference won't offset buying a new truck.

tony 340 likes this.
  12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

ehh.. what?

ungwaha likes this.
  13. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

When I was still working in the landscape industry I gave up on the usual one ton truck and switched to trucks similar to that 6500. Best decision I ever made. At the time (early 2000's ) the larger trucks pulled loads effortlessly, my maintenance cost dropped to nearly nothing, and the trucks actually were more maneuverable than the 1 ton dumps I had been using. Considering that they were nearly always loaded they actually got similar if not better fuel economy.

5axis and Evad101 like this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Any combo with a combined GVW of over 26000# is class a territory.

15. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

That Ram 5500 is a super nice rig but the price. Wowsers! My family business has always run Dodge/Ram trucks with the Cummins and they are workhorses. If you are looking at new(ish) make sure you stay away from the 2019-2020's because they have the CP4 injector pump that is turning out to be a disaster for Ram. Lots of recalls and warranty issues. They switched back to the CP3 in 2021 and are hassle free again.

The 4500/5500 trucks handle loads so easy it isn't even funny but boy do they ride like crap empty. That's the price you pay. Also most of them are geared very low like Shakazulu said so you won't be cruising down the highway at 75mph.

Evad101 likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@BC, lotsa different laws and interpretations concerning that. One such interpretation, I'm not operating a commercial vehicle.

17. Evad101

Most work is of pavement once at location but 4x4 is a want not a need.

As for towing capacity, I am very keen on the specs of each to ensure they will do more than I want. For example the RAM 5500 will town up to 30K in the configuration I would use it (goose neck flat bed trailer) towing my excavator.

Uhm, nope, its based on the weight of the vehicle not whether or not is has duallies. That's federal regulation and in Washington state as well. Maybe your state has this regulation?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Single tire trucks are under 12k gvw so you can hook a 14K gvw trailer and be legal. F350 dually is 14K gvw. Hook a 14K trailer to it and you are class A.

I get what you are saying I was just trying to simplify it.

Evad101 likes this.
  19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

And it doesn't matter if you are loaded or empty, they go by the stickers.

418 likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

All your buddies telling you they’re getting 15mpg, while towing, are liars. If you have an emission-legal diesel, that’ll be your empty mpg. Loaded mpg is going to be 10 or less, especially with a TH of that size. If it’s been deleted, add 2 or 3 mpg.

The purchase of an overpriced diesel pickup, in this market, will never offset. Keep what you have and keep your foot out of it, when you do use it.

For your work needs, you’d be better to buy a used semi-tractor, as it’s a way better value.

evakat, Ian178, Spooner and 4 others like this.