1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOLF

Discussion in 'General' started by Dan Dubeau, Jul 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The top golf thread made me realize there might be a few more whack fuckers here than I thought. Any other golfers here? Who takes it serious, or who just likes to drive around crushing beers and having a good time once in a while?

I started playing when I was about 13 just before the Tiger boom. Took it a bit serious but never got the handicap down into single digits. Kinda hit a wall and never really got better in the 11-13 hcp range as a late teen. I was a long hitter, but had terrible short game (too much ball player swing/cement hands around the greens). Played pretty regularly until my mid/early 20's then the rounds started getting fewer as life got in the way with only a few scrambles a year until the pandemic hit and golf was about the only thing you could do that wouldn't kill a bus full of nuns. Fell back into it hard the past few years along with a few good buddies, and am currently trying to get back where I was when I was younger. Getting there, but still pretty fluky. I'm a 15 handicap now, down from 18 last year so I can see progress. Trying hard to break 80 before the end of the year and almost had it last round with an 82 but I bogeyed the last 3 holes :mad:. I could never race while leading either lol.

We usually play at least once a week, sometimes 2. I always found the mental aspect of golf so similar to racing than any other sport I've played. So much of it is between the ears. The physical aspect not so much lol. Love it though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Golf, I’m told, requires quiet, which is annoying.

I did date a girl who was really into it. The first time we went together, from the first hole tee, she knocked a ball off a pine tree that was along the fairway, which had a rather large bees nest in it. When she tee’d up her second shot, the bees correctly surmised that she’d been the one to annoy them a few minutes ago.

So they attacked her.

It was right then we both learned she was allergic to bee stings, and also, what anaphylactic shock was all about.

That was the first and last time I went golfing.

ToofPic, Phl218, Quicktoy and 3 others like this.
  3. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

My kids are competitive golfers. My daughter is starting high school later this year and made it on to the JV team. Her handicap at the moment is 17 and shoots low 90s on par 72 courses. There are girls she plays with that are shooting under par already. She's progressing fairly quickly and I think she'll make it on to the varsity team by next year. My son is 11 and thinks he'll be on tour some day :crackup:I'm stoked he has a dream and he is putting effort in to it. They both tried racing motorcycles but golf has been the sport they have fallen in love with.

They both have coaches and do all the local Jr. tournaments. I'm observing and learning as they progress. There are some racing parallels that I can give them a little of advice with but mainly I get to just watch and play practice rounds with them. That part has been really awesome. We have a course here that allows jr.s to play for free after 2, so we get out a couple times a week.

If we can get free college out of this sport I'll be happy. If not, the family bonding on the course has been well worth the time and money we've put into it.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’ve been playing since I was a kid, never really took it seriously and it definitely takes a backseat to my two wheeled hobby.

I’ll play once or twice a month, and I’m a 5 index. Belong to a nice course around the Philadelphia area if any of you hacks ever make it up/down here.

BigBird and Dan Dubeau like this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

6. Dan Dubeau

I don't know man. Golf sometimes requires a few sleeves of balls :D.

7. Dan Dubeau

I started with a big group of guys I also played hockey/baseball with. We all thought we were going to be on tour someday too. Our scorecards eventually brought us back to reality :D. I don't think any of us ever had formal lessons, just mainly self taught, and picked it up here and there, or learned from other guys in the club. Some naturally picked it up better than others. Most of use still play together from time to time too 25 odd years later.

That's awesome that you play with them. My son (10) is just starting to take an interest, so we'll see where it leads. I'm looking forward to the day we can play together out on a real course instead of just hitting balls in the back yard. My Dad was never into sports (I did play one round with him though), but I do get out with my FIL, who plays 5-6 days a week, a few times a year, and it's always a good time.

8. Dan Dubeau

Nice. I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years, so golf took over the last few years as my new obsession. I'd love to get down to mid single digits someday, but I'd have to work pretty hard to get there I think. If I only got to play once or twice a month, I think I'd struggle to break 100.

I'd honestly be happy to get in the single digits period, as I never cracked it when I was younger, but I think I'm a much better golfer now.

9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I ended 2021 with a 6 handicap. Played highschool golf team, kept it up as a young adult and still try to play often but 2022 has been a year of change for me and I've played 4 rounds to date. Not good for my short game but still score decent when I consider my lack of time on course.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

My father was the President of the Mass. Golf Association. I got a job as a greens keeper at the local club where he was the Treasurer. Aside from playing in a couple of Greens Keeper Opens high as a kite (I got pretty damn good with a sand wedge.) I had nothing to do with the sport.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I golf....I don't take it seriously if by seriously you mean keep tabs of my handicap or actively put a bunch of effort into improving my game. I just have fun with my friends out on the course.

I've traveled all over with my clubs and played in about a dozen different states across the country though if that's taking it at all serious....I'd still say no, lol.

Used2befast and Dan Dubeau like this.
  12. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I was on the high school team and was a low handicap , got burned out and put the clubs down for 20 years . Just recently started playing again and enjoying the hell out of it . A customer of mine brought me along and got me hooked again ....nice playing with rich guys at fancy courses for free ! We have a nighttime par 3 course in Naples that’s a blast ! Par 3 courses are my favorite , you can take a small bag and just walk it and knock it quickly .

Used2befast and Dan Dubeau like this.
  13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

the only thing worse than golf is... watching golf on tv. THERE, I SAID IT! my idea of relaxation does not include hitting a tiny ball, with a big stick, and then go to chase it, and repeat. Ski

14. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

23capper. Trying to get better. Breakng 90 is the next goal.

WANABE RACER and Dan Dubeau like this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I love golf, play every chance I get. I grew up playing with my dad, played in high school and then walked on the team in college at UTSA.

I’m worthless during Masters week and the US Open, maybe the Players too, but most other weeks there is absolutely no better way to take a nap than turning on some golf.

Edit…this is a timely thread as I think there are a bunch of you in Atlanta. My wife has a work trip planned at the end of September, what are some good tracks the common folk can play in the area? I know “in Atlanta” covers a huge area but I’ll have a car and I don’t mind driving.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Nighttime par 3 would be cool, but there's just no market for that up here. There's a decent 9 hole par 3 just up the road from work that I play often though. A lot more enjoyable than I initially thought. I usually only take my 60*, 52* and putter. Maybe a 7/8 to bump and run if I want to practice it. By the time I get there after work there's nobody on it, so I just fly and get done in about 30-40 minutes. Holes from 60-140, greens are tiny, but in great shape, and it's really got my wedge game in great shape. Played it even par a couple times this year, but usually +1/3. I played it once last year at -1 and can't believe I didn't crumble lol. Only under par round I've ever played in my life. And yeah, I'm counting it :D.

I've got my short game in good shape this year because of it, but my long game sucks. No consistency with the driver/3wood . I can't hit driver at the 2 ranges that are close to me I go to a lot, and the only one that I can is out of the way so I never practice with it. When I DO start driving well though, the short game disappears. I can never put it all together in a round. Putting, short game, driving, irons. Pick 1-2 every round and I'm great. One is ok, and the other is complete shit. It's changes all the time. I've shot the same scores on the same course so many different ways....It's what keeps me coming back, but what drives me nucking futs about this game at the same time :D. Always a rabbit to chase though, just like racing.

I think I'm going to get a mevo+ and set up a simulator bay in the barn for over the winter. It's getting out of hand. :D. Almost bought a garmin r10 in the spring, but I think I'd rather get the mevo+.

17. Dan Dubeau

We play like that too, but theres one group of guys I've grown up with, we're all about the same skill level.....we're all competitive....

I only know my handicap these days because of the app I use for gps/keeping score/stats. Golfpad. It's pretty awesome to get distances out on the course, and quick and easy to input scores and other stats to keep track of. I never used to care about that shit at all, but every since getting back into it these past couple years I've become a complete nerd about this shit while trying to get better. So many more resources now than when I was a kid, I try and take advantage of them all.

Back when I was a kid and a member at the local course we needed a handicap for all the club tourneys and such. We'd hand our cards into the dragon lady and she'd do it all for us. Then they got a computer and we input them ourselves. It sucked, but was so much better than dealing with her lol.

18. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Played 36 holes every weekend from 2014-2017, hit 2 days a week during the week and had an indoor setup for winter while I lived in Canada. Got down to a 8 handicap.
    I’m playing this Friday and I’ll be happy to break 90. Have only played a few times since returning from the Great White North. Damn kids and shit.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  19. Dan Dubeau

Keep at it. That's how I started off last year, trying to break 90. Identify your biggest score leak and work on it. Work on getting up and down from 150 in. Get a good comfortable 200+yd teeshot that you can rely on to keep the ball in play off the tee. 3 iron/3wood, something reliable to get out there in the fairway when the drivers not working and costing too many penalties and lost balls off the tee. Also go to a course/range that has a decent practice green and practice lag putting from long distances, and chipping to within 3-4ft. Try to eliminate the 3 putts. It will come, it's really all practice and puting in the time. Those 4 things are easily attainable for most people and add up to huge gains on the course. After that though it's diminishing returns and costs a lot more money. Exactly like racing lol

I finally broke 90 about 5 rounds in last year, and played most of the year in the mid 80's, and finished with an 82. Started this year off, with a couple 90's and then got back down into the mids again, and last round of 82. Breaking 80 is coming, I can feel it. Wish I had more time to practice, but the last month has been pretty hectic. August is wide open so I should be able to get 2-3 rounds a week in I hope.

code3ryder likes this.
  20. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

You'll get there. The biggest thing is, when you make a bad shot, forget it..next shot is new, put the other one out of your mind. Play recovery, hit sideways into the fairway, play smart. A single shot to move you up 20 yards but into the fairway and out from behind a tree is better than risking it on some shot that could make the green or could hit the tree etc. (It's gonna hit the tree)

Mindset is so huge to scoring well. Block out everything you can, and be present for each swing. It takes time to develop that skill but you can do it and you'll see strokes falling off the card.

code3ryder likes this.