1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real John Deere thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

It was virtually impossible to fire a union guy for non-performance. I had to document every transaction, get witnesses, give verbal and written remediation. One month of compliance and I had to start all over again! To top it off the senior management had BB's for balls (and they weren't brass!)....I got through all the hoops and they caved, instead I got transferred out. Funny thing is most of the guys in my group were in my camp. They hated having to carry the "no-load". Didn't matter to the union though.
    Now that I'm retired, when we meet for beer occasionally the good guys still appreciate what I tried to do. It's a fucked up world is all I can say.

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’ve heard those kind of horror stories before . In the construction trades , from my experience. Those do nothing guys don’t last long and are weeded out . When companies need help they ask the good workers for recommendations for hiring .. even if that particular Union is a hiring hall or not . Things changed quite a bit in the 30 years I was in . Some of the unions almost seem to cater to the companies more than their own members ...

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep THAT is why I hate unions. Most union workers are actually great people that work hard. But the unions protect the slugs as hard or harder than the great people. If the union leadership took pride in their people I would be all for the union but I have not seen that outside of the skilled trades.

4. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Now to get this back on track - 3 questions
    1) @Venom51 did you get a sub yet?
    2) @sheepofblue how's the x390 holding up?
    3) I'm looking at 390 and the all wheel steering version x394 too - anyone w experience with x384 or x394?

5. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

X394 mows like a dream!

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

1. I have not.

I have a dollar figure in my head for what I want and the right one hasn't come along yet.

vfrket likes this.
  7. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I really want to get one still, I have uses for it here in doing landscape work but much more for my dad's farm. Maybe I can get him to get one :-D

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

LOVE it. Got the mulching kit on it because well got to have grass look good. PS is a must. I have not disabled the @#$#@$@ reverse shutoff thing yet but will. Mine is two wheel and I don't think I would get 4 wheel, extra complexity for no gain (for me) With PS if you disable the reverse @#$#@ you can whip it around on a dime. Got 100 hours on it now.

9. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Business accounting for OT labor doesn’t have to factor in the loaded benefit costs that normal hours incur. For many large employers with good benefits packages, it is far more economical to push overtime versus increasing payroll. Also provides significantly more managerial flexibility. The benefits are magnified with skilled trade personnel.

NLRB doesn’t prohibit forced overtime. There’s been a push for fatigue rules for awhile, but they primarily only exist and are enforceable in a few industries; nuclear, process industry, aviation, etc.