1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for FZR400 shock

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Billy B, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Anyone have a nice aftermarket shock for a 400 you want to part with? I just got a really nice 400 back on the road and I think the shock that was on it is from a different bike - its a Fox that's too long and won't go any shorter. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

New dog bones maybe?

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We've done a few Penske builds for those bikes. There's two different specs, I believe, depending on the version of FZR400. Off the top of my head, I think one is longer than the other with more stroke.

4. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

This is a 1990 model with the deltabox swingarm. But I just checked the parts list and Yamaha spec'd the same shock for all 400s in the US (1988 - 90) so they must all be the same. There are grey market 400s in the US, later models which have a lot of differences and those likely had different shocks on them. I'm not planning to race this one so I don't need a top line shock, but was hoping to find a nice used one. If that search doesn't go anywhere I'll look at new ones and get with you - thanks.

Also britx - I think my dog bones are the right ones, so I'm hoping to just find the right shock to fit the bike rather than make this shock work.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I probably have a stock 400 or 600 shock around here if you want it. Where you located…..approximately?

6. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks for the offer - I'm in Ohio. A friend has some 400 parts bikes in his barn and my last resort is to steal a shock off one of those - one is stock and the other is some unknown thing. Thanks though, I really appreciate it!

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Those are the two specs we have. The US model and the grey market ones Steve at @SpeedWerks Racing sends my way from time to time. He might be a good resource for OEM bits if you need anything.

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Take a pic of the dogbone or what numbers stamped on the side?
    Those bikes want ALL the rear height you can get..

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You can come to Akron and pick my brothers old race bike up and it comes with a Fox shock

10. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Damn you stop :D How much does your brother want for the 400, I'm down near Cincinnati... NO! I don't need it, forget I asked...

You guys are onto something with the dog bones. These say "33E" on them and the stock ones say "1WG". I have a set of 1WG arms I'll put on later today and see what that does - they're a little longer than what's on it so that should help. This thing is sitting way up in the air like it is.

11. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I got a pair of after-market dogbones for the FZR400 from a company in UK. That gave me an extra 20mm ride height. I goggled the company name (Projection Components or Projection Racing) and nothing comes up now so maybe they are not in business any longer.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

BlueR32 likes this.
  13. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It hasn’t run in 30 years since he last raced it. I’d honestly take $500 for it knowing that it’s essentially a parts bike right now unless I restore it.

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We prob did that, those are SRAD 33E, they give it the extra ride height for racing,plus they're aluminum vs. steel. we also mill out the swingarm where the spring hit's when topped out.
    just put the stock bone's on and you'll be good for tooling about.

16. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Great info - thanks. Funny you mention the shock spring hitting the swingarm, because yes, it does hit just a little bit when its fully topped out and I was scratching my head on that one too. I'll put on the stock dog bones and post back results here. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

17. I've got a spare Fox shock I'd be willing to part with. PM me for details & price.