1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TST Industry sliders for Ninja 400 -- any good?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tempestm, Jun 3, 2022.

1. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

Does anyone have comparison data for the TST Industry slider kits vs the Woodcraft "cut" (race) frame sliders?

I'm most interested in:
    - ease of installation
    - crash performance

The TST frame sliders SEEM to have solid mounting points that are much stockier than the "street" versions. I have the Armour Bodies race fairings. The TST sliders look like they will fit my fairings without cutting them. I'm not adverse to cutting my fairings btw. I have road-tested the woodcraft race frame sliders with happy results.

Just wondering if the TSTs are worth the extra price.

TST frame sliders -- https://www.norton-motorsports.com/...crash-protection-for-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018/

Woodcraft frame sliders -- https://www.norton-motorsports.com/...ly-frame-slider-base-kit-1099-pucks-included/

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I can't say one way or the other, but I will say that Bart (owner of TST) puts a LOT of thought and engineering into his products. If it was done a certain way there is a reason for it.

As you mention, I do like how his product is mounted across two frame points, rather than a single point with the Woodcraft. Additionally, I've noticed issues with puck-style sliders wanting to dig into grass/gravel and therefore throw bikes into a tumble rather than sliding on one side, which tends to create much bigger repair bills.

Nothing will be 100% effective, just the nature of crashing....

tempestm likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

The TST ones are solid. I have not personally crash tested them, but I've seen others who have. Although they are pretty bulky, IMO it's the best design as far as crash protection goes just because you have a solid aluminum bar that bolts to the frame and the slider itself is in the middle of those points. The Woodcraft uses just 1 mounting point. Both are great companies though, and both owners are great guys that are very smart also.

tempestm likes this.
  4. tempestm

Thanks @sbk1198 and @NemesisR6

I'm still curious if they are no-cut with the Armour Bodies race fairings. For that, I'll contact the vendor directly.

"Protect your 2018+ Kawasaki Ninja 400 in the event of a crash or fall with the no-cut TST Frame Sliders. We designed the robust delrin sliders to mount perfectly within the side fairing gap to give you real world crash protection without having to cut or grind your Ninja 400 fairings."

5. sbk1198

I'm 95% sure they fit without cutting anything. Looking at the AB fairings, they seem to have that same shape/size opening. We have Bikesplast race fairings on our race bike with the TST frame sliders and they fit without cutting anything. I used to have Armour Bodies on my own N400 a few years ago, but I don't use frame sliders on my bike so I can't tell you with full certainty, but I believe they fit. Your best bet is to post up in the Ninja 400 racers group on facebook or go on the Ninja 400 forum because there may be someone that has that combination and could answer you for sure. If you ask Armour Bodies, they won't know because they don't make fairings based on frame sliders of other companies. If you ask TST, the customer services guys will come to ask me, and I'll give them the same answer I just gave you (I work there) :) The frame sliders were designed base on the stock fairings, so any race bodywork that has that same shape/size opening as the stock fairings will work.

tempestm likes this.
  6. tempestm

Good info. Thanks. Do you not use frame sliders for the risk they post for inducing bike tumbles?

7. sbk1198

Generally yes, but it depends on the design of the bike and the frame sliders. On my old Ducati 1198 I did because it was 2 pucks with a long bolt running through the frame across, so very little chance to ruin other parts. On my ZX6R I haven't because those are notorious to break or bend your frame and possibly an engine mount if you crash. In fact the first ZX6R I bought came with a fixed/welded aluminum piece on one side because the frame spar had been broken due to a crash with a frame slider on it. On the 400 initially when I built it I never really care either way, and that was before I was working at TST so I just never even looked into frame sliders. The design of the TST ones is very good though and I would feel confident using those...however just before I started working there I mangled up my Armour Bodies and decided to try out the Norton GP bodywork, and with that you can't use them without cutting some stuff.

tempestm likes this.