Headed to Tampa. Where should I stay?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, May 25, 2022.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

A group of us are headed down for the Bengals-Bucs game in December, but are gonna be there for a few days to blow off steam. Looking for good food, good drinks and a nice hotel.

Thanks

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

St Pete Beach

3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What are you looking to be close to? I live here, but need a little more info as there is a lot to do in the area, especially if you start considering places like St. Pete, Clearwater, etc.

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Bern's Steakhouse is a no brainer for great food and an experience unlike any other steakhouse that I've been to. If you go, be sure to do the tour (assuming covid didn't kill that) and go to the dessert room after dinner.
    The Columbia in Ybor has been around since the early 1900s and definitely worth a visit.
    If you want to be near the stadium, stay downtown. The Marriott Waterside is nice and a great location, Embassy Suites downtown is nice too and a little more budget friendly, also a brand new JW Marriott just opened downtown that is nice and has a good rooftop bar.
    I could go on. Feel free to PM me or shoot me a text if you still have my # from when we connected a few years ago about an insurance question you had.

Shawn

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Downtown St Pete is cool as fuck.

I was out in west Florida around Dec. visiting some friends in that general area, doing a charter fishing, paddle boarding few days. And after spending two days in downtown St. Pete I'm constantly searching the mls for a condo near there as a 4 month winter place to stay.

So many cool bars/restaurants, vintage shops.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I need to get back there myself for a visit. Lived there from around Christmas 68 through January 75, including my high school years. Been 20 years since I’ve been back. Sad that so much of what I remember is gone. Ate at the Kapok Tree several times during my time there. Unique as a restaurant comes, but gone now.

7. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

I live about a mile from the old Kapok. It's now a Sam Ash music store. The back garden area is still used for weddings and events. I was lucky enough to go there once when I was a kid. It blew my mind. Kind of like some of the scenes in the movie Titanic. We don't make places like that in America anymore. Although it does make for a fairly epic music store.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Foosball is the debil's sport!!

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I second the Colombia. There used to be a place called the Silver Ring that had AWESOME Cuban sammiches, but I think it closed long ago. It may have been resurrected, but I can't vouch for the quality there.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

We used to live right across the street from kapok lol

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's one of those places Dad and Mom went, but would never take us kids. We did go to Bush Gardens back when it was free and nothing but brewery tours, the gardens and bird shows. Lowery Park was also one of our favorites

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Went down with some friends a year or so ago and stayed at a place on the beach on LongBoat Key. Great hotel, bar, pool area, cabanas, etc.

https://www.zotabeachresort.com/

and I second the recommendation to book an evening at Berns Steak house. and the tour. and the dessert area. It's not cheap but I guarantee you that it'll be the most memorable meal you have had in a long time if not ever. Book it now if you know dates, you can always cancel later but they fill up months in advance for some days.

omatter34 likes this.
  13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

If you're staying at downtown, I always hang my hat at the Le Meridien. Great hotel. Eat at Rocca if you can. Best meal I've had in awhile, except for last weekend's steak at Tony's in Indy.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Ybor city is definitely where you should go. Totally your type of place/crowd!

15. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

All my wifes family just raves about Columbia...uhhh...overpriced and the food was ehhhh

I would hit the list of BBQ joints popping up...Als finger...
    Mission...Wicked...4 Rivers.

St John's bay is a cool place

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Mons Venus still open? :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There's a Yuengling brewery that is pretty cool. Never done much else in Tampa :crackup:

Used2befast likes this.
  18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

or the Flying Saucer?

19. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

C8722B37-234E-4DFF-86CC-1CED5835A879.jpeg

Yes they are both still open.

2001 (flying saucer) bought the restaurant next to it. Turned it into a place called Riveters it’s a regular bar / restaurant. Now you buy your drink there and literally walk next door. For those that don’t know in Tampa if a strip club is full nude they cannot not have a liquor license. I worked security at Riveters / 2001 for a decent amount of time. I know just everyone down here in that scene so got any questions on that @eggfooyoung let me know. Lol

If you are going to Ybor for the history go during the day. Place is a shit show at night. Bars at night in Ybor I’d guess average age is 23. Very very young crowds way too packed.

St Pete can be fun but get out before all the bars let out 3am. Place gets wild with fights etc. You will realize this by the heavy presence of police that swarm the area late night.
    St Pete I would go to Canopy it’s a roof top bar. Very chill and nice.

Tampa has some really nice roof top bars . If you stay in Tampa definitely hit one of them.

If you have any questions @eggfo shot me a pm.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was going to say Key West.

Sabre699 likes this.