1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android luggage tracker

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, May 21, 2022.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Anyone have experience with using a luggage tracking device that connects to an Android phone? I see plenty out there but functionality is all over the place. I would use it inside my Thule hard case when I transport my handcycle via commercial flights. It would be great to have global tracking without a monthly service fee. I know Samsung offers a tracker if you use a Samsung phone that is 8.0 or greater which I do but the case would need to be near other Samsung devices or cell towers to ping off. I'm not sure how it would work if I travel to Thailand for a potential cycling vacation next winter. Would the Samsung tracker tell me my case was left in Japan and not made the connection to Thailand? I don't travel often so I'm not interested in a monthly service fee. I'd also add a second tracker to my wheelchair since airlines have a habit of loosing those too. I want to track the Thule bike case because my Carbonbike handcycle costs more than any motorcycle I ever bought.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you fly Delta their app tracks your bag and lest you know when its on the plane, off the plane etc.

The other majors may do this as well.

And samsung sells phones all over the world so it should work overseas.

3. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

"tracks" is a very strong word here... it's supposed to be updated each time the bag is scanned but I've had bags make flights that I missed and then still got updates that my bag was with me on each extra flight I took even though it was already sitting at my destination. What we see is mostly smoke and mirrors.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

the apple tag thing actually does work. but i'm not a apple user.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Buy an iPhone and airtags :D

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Apple made an Android app called 'Tracker Detect' to let Android users use AirTags

50Joe likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

that's what i did and it worked great. my luggage was lost and i recovered it before the airport called me when they were found

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I read a little about that, seems like it's still not able to set them up or something but if you have any apple product like an ipad you could use that for setup.

stangmx13 likes this.