1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GDI engine sticking valves?

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, May 14, 2022.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I 2nd this...as it will reduce (not eliminate) the amount of oil gooping up the valves.

If you do regular cleanings using the intake stuff you will prevent future issues.

I like the Equus and settled for the Genesis 3.8 (baby equus) cause there weren't many in the used marketplace. I cant tell you how many sports cars I have left off the line using the auto hold feature. :crackup:

L8RSK8R likes this.
  2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

1747.jpeg First attempt using the walnut setup didn't produce a great result.
    I was using a rubber hose fitted to the gun.
    May have worked better with the proper gun/wand extension, which I don't have.

I dumped in a couple of ounces of Berryman B-12 and agitated it with a bunch of zip ties....zipped together.
    Then sopped up the fluid with a rag.
    Finished off with a pick and pulled more gunk out from the edges of the valve.

I'll go the Berryman route in the next 7.
    Takes 10 minutes per cylinder.

My compressor just took a crap, it's blowing back into the hopper and the fittings are leaking.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Phl218 likes this.
  3. Used2befast

I don't know....those valves look pretty clean to me. Just a bit of walnut dust but I would say its a good result:clap:

Phl218 and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. L8RSK8R

That's all due to the Berryman fluid and scrubbing them with zip ties.
    The walnut was sticking to the crud and not really doing much.

The walnut remnants are blowing/dropping in off the plastic barrier I had taped over the motor.

I'll borescope/vacuum each cylinder before reassembly.

Should I spray or coat the valve stems with something before reassembly?

Ya mentioned posting in Hyundai Forum.
    I've been a member there for several years, just not very active.
    Posted my results and a member wants me to help do his valves ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  5. Used2befast

No need to coat the valves. Remember the valve train up top will lubricate and those areas you cleaned is the combustion chamber. A nice tight seat is what they need for good combustion.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. L8RSK8R

I'm learning, Thanx for your help ;)

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree to me. Diagnose...

8. L8RSK8R

9. Used2befast

Yep, those are oil fouled plugs and a clear sign of pcv failure and intake oil. Wonder how long those have been in that car. Wow:eek: no wonder it ran like crud.

Replace pcv valve with new and install a oil catch can asap.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

nice side gig ...

11. Used2befast

So back around 2007.5 GM decided to re-engineer the tried and true 5.3L with some stupid system called active fuel management (AFM-now called dynamic fuel management). Below the intake in the galley was 4 special oil actuators which lead to nightmares for chevy/gmc owners who allowed the engine to go into V4 mode. I bought a used 2010 Silverado and had to rebuild the top end (Texas speed AFM delete kit) and put in a new camshaft. I also rebuilt/cleaned both heads and matched ground the valves.

It runs great now....GM go back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

This wasn't no side gig...it was work

12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

They had to meet their fleet mileage goals, required by the government,so blame the epa.

13. Used2befast

Yea, fleet mileage is what I was worried about lol

I also modified my ECU to disable a couple stupid features GM has incorporated into the software. Limp mode is disable forever :Poke:

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Me too. I hope you at least put in a hotter cam. I did the BTR stage 2 cam and upgraded valve springs. 2+ years and 25,000miles of awesomeness and no problems.

15. Used2befast

I didn't want a hotter cam with the stock valve springs even though Texas speed said they were good.

I think I'm at 43 k and 3 years since the upgrade. Still get 20-21 mpg :D

16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah I had a 2006 4.7 V8,got better mileage than my 2005 f150 with the 4.2 V6

17. ChemGuy

Damn Biden Voters....quite bringing your negative commie attitude around here. :D

I was like ...umm no way in hell am I doing all this work and swapping cams...just to put stock back in. The only reason I didnt go bigger was any bigger and they recommend even beefier springs, rocker/pintles and torque converter. I need to add a flowmaster so I can really here it cam. :rock:

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

did you do roller rockers? They tend to give added power thru the whole rpm range... and bump oil pressure a lil

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon he is too cheap for that.:D

969 and TurboBlew like this.
  20. ChemGuy

[​IMG]

969 and Boman Forklift like this.