1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Air 10 Feedback

Discussion in 'General' started by randomwalker, Apr 18, 2022.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Nope, not just you. Chafed the shit outta my neck too.

G2G likes this.
  2. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Just picked mine up today, feels pretty good under my Dainese kangaroo suit, maybe a little more bulky in the rear

3. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

What issues with the activation/lights/battery have you heard?

I left mine on the charger all day today and still see no lights on the led display. Led display was attached to the dock the entire time. I got it connected to the app no problem, but the app shows 0% battery.

4. tdelegram

Did you register it on the app? Mine charged and is packed away for next round of riding

5. cartmen34

I scanned the code on the belt with the app. The app then showed my 10 with the matching chassis number, showed it set to race mode, and 0% battery. That’s all I’ve done so far.

Is registration a separate step?

EDIT: I registered my info (name,phone, email, etc) with the app prior to scanning the code on the belt. Is that what you meant by registering?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  6. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I had to close the waist belt on mine to see the led charging status.

7. cartmen34

Yes, I tried this several times yesterday evening. I also put it on then closed the belt. It didn’t change the situation. No lights on the led at any time.

8. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I will try to find the posting as it was on facebook. A couple of my friends had issues with wierd light displays and alpinestar has asked them to send it back. I have not had the problem.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

somewhat related....

10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Anyone else have feedback on the tech air 10?
    I ended up going with the tech air race instead. I am going to give Alpinestars some time to tweak the design on the tech air 10.

On a side note if anyone is looking for a new tech air race, I got 2 from a place in Canada. With the current exchange rate, it came out to $870 shipped for a brand-new tech air race.
    https://ignitionmotorsports.ca/coll...s-tech-air-race-airbag?variant=42056573681891

11. cartmen34

Here's my feedback so far: It ain't workin'. LOL

Finally had a chance to call Astars tech support. They said it sounds like the battery isn't charging and I need to send it back to them "for inspection". Person I spoke to said they've had quite a few of these not working, but for a few different reasons. Some battery related, some charging port related, etc.

I guess its the risk we take with a brand new product... but... for $1k I expected a little better quality control.

Senna likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That sucks.

My Helite vest can be a pain in the ass, but it doesn't look like I'm switching from that anytime soon.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Are you using the included charger?

I have both the 5 and the Race, and one charger doesn't work on the other (iirc, the Race charger will charge both but the 5 charger won't charge the race). Might be user error though.

14. cartmen34

Yes, definitely using the included charger. I also tried every combination of usb-c cord and usb charger I had in the house, including my tech air race charger. Nothing worked.

G2G likes this.
  15. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I have the original Tech Air and also couldn't get it to charge with the included charger base. I tried about 4 or 5 other charger bases that I have in a box of spares before I found one that the A* electronics finally agreed to work with.

Also, after 2 seasons, it starting throwing an error code that wasn't even listed in the user manual. I sent it in and they replaced the entire ECU as it evidently went bad somehow.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I am amending my original review: I still don't particularly like this thing, but it's worth every penny and I will be buying another.

Northwest 200, Superbike Race 1, I'm right behind Joey Thompson and we've just started our third lap. The start/finish at the NW200 is in a chicane which leads onto a section of the coast road I know I'm better than him at. The exit of the chicane is an extremely tight first-gear right/left, and I know I'll need to be right on his ass if I'm going to go have the courage to take his line away through the city. So exiting the chicane, leaned over, in first gear, on a BMW S1000RR, I hit that throttle like it fucked my sister.

Only... it hadn't fucked my sister, it was a 205hp superbike and they don't do that. It did what 205hp superbikes do when you whack their throttles wide open in first gear; it flung me on the ground like the trash it considered me.

Hit the ground as hard as I ever have. Bounced, rolled, tumbled and slid, along the road and up into the curb and sidewalk. But not a single bruise or sore spot to show for it.

Shoulder, arm, back, chest and hip protection for the win.

Thing is uncomfortable, unsexy and fucking baking hot. But I'm not riding without one again.

Lopsided, youngR, 418 and 12 others like this.
  17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have the regular Tech air vest. It gets hot about .782 seconds after stopping in the pits.

18. tdelegram

Rode this weekend for the first time with it, after a day in the suit you forget it’s there or suit stretched. Heat is the real issue I tried a second set of base layers and that was way too hot. Other issue is once you’re sweaty it’s hard to remove, if you have a digestive code red you might need a friend to help peel it off or have some extra cleaning

19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

So it looks like the Tech air Race is dead? Looks like it's gone from their website and you have to pick from the 10, 5, 3, or off-road.

Unless they plan on being like tire vendors and having a rep at every major track event, kinda sucks for those who wanted two charges before having to get it repacked. Hope this doesn't mean current owners won't be able to get it repacked too.

https://www.alpinestars.com/pages/tech-air

20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Nyet. Still available A.F. here.

Probably be available for a long time, too.

21. cartmen34

Update for those curious:

First off, I'm pretty impressed by Astars customer service's turnaround time. They received my defective vest last Tuesday. On Thursday they sent me a new UPS tracking number and the replacement vest showed up yesterday.

Turns out they didn't fix my vest; they just sent me a new one. Different chassis number. This one is working as expected. Already charged, hooked up to the app, all lights working exactly as the manual says it should.

I've got a trackday coming up in a few weeks where I can finally test this thing out. I'll report back after.