1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crappy Internet parts (Rock Auto)

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, May 3, 2022.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

OMG, I just cannot believe how poor replacement parts are being made. And worse yet, People accept this and out up with it.

Had a leaking seal in my Toyota Rack & Pinion , I didn't take care of it in time and damaged the unit, so I ordered the entire steering system to replace, pump hoses etc.. for peace if mind, there was fine metal shavings throughout the system.
    Virtually every awful part is being manufactured in more China.
    No more OEM Toyota parts as there discontinued due to age.
    So I ordered a 1998 power steering pump.
    My original only has 120,000 miles on it and the shaft has maybe 1/16 of an inch lateral play.
    It probably functions fine I just had a lot of metal shavings in the system and the rack and pinion is a mother fucker to replace.
    So get this shit,I ordered a brand new remanufactured pump supposedly with high temperature Viton gaskets.

Right out of the box the shaft has a full 1/2 inch of lateral play (I kid you not) JUST ABSOLUTE JUNK! PURE GARBAGE...
    And even more insult to injury the pivot bracket flange bolt, is not even machined and tapped for the correct size bolt.
    Virtually every single part when compared against an original Japanese part is pure shit, totally inferior.
    I ordered a set of motor mounts they were all wrong except for one they resent them again they were all wrong again.
    Rack and pinion pressure line manufactured completely the wrong angle sent it back to didn't bother to get another one.
    Ordered the power steering reservoir guess what manufactured with the outlet on the wrong side cannot possibly be used in any circumstances without custom fabrication of brackets..
    WHO THE FUCK IS BUYING THIS CRAP AND WHY DO IDIOTS PUT UP WITH IT?
    I READ ARTICLES MILLENNIALS PRAISINGARE WRITING, PRAISING THE INTERNET SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO GO TO A PARTS STORE WTF?
    Its been such a nightmare doing a reasonably straightforward job all due to the internet and China shit. NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN, I'll pay double I'll even pay triple if I can locate OEM parts I'll go to a junkyard and rebuild a stock part in the future before I do this again...
    I have a friend who did a four-wheel drive conversion on a van who ordered AC /Delco parts thinking that they were going to be made in America everything is stamped made in China.
    I have acquired a 1975 Ford Econoline van with the 4.9 I-6. Its completely original 1 owner. Only God knows how many miles are on it, odl is probably rolled over several times I'm guessing between 350 -450,000 miles. Every
    single component on the car is original w the OEM Made in America Ford Motorcraft parts.
    The ONLY component that has been replaced, I did the water pump.
    40 + years old, starts right up,like purrrs like a kitten a, just a bulletproof vehicle.
    That's a Ford tough, you can take to the bank... I have a couple friends who have Ford raptors they've been in the shop so often true pieces of shit, so many Chinese parts in them its mind boggling I'll
    shocked if any one of them is on the road in 25 years .it ain't going to happen
    ..That's the difference of how it used to be and what it is now
    There's shit and then there's shit!
    There's dog shit, then there's cat shit ( way worse) , then human shit (exponentially worse) Uber stinky foul human crap that's what all the China parts are.
    Jus sayin.

️ Rant over...I do feel better:crackup::flag::beer::Pop:

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    ToofPic likes this.
  2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Damn this dude is a miserable SOB.

The market demands a price point, and American standards won't let that price point to be met.

YamahaRick, BigBird and 27 like this.
  3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

But you saved tree fiddy. Hear the whining everyday about prices, how they can get it cheaper Yada Yada. Go for it, you'll find out....

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Unfortunately this isn't the only definition of Chinese junk...it's all shit.

[​IMG]

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Can you clarify the difference between dog and cat shyt? I'm lost.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

For each application, Rockauto.com usually offers several parts from different suppliers at several different price points. Which one did you buy?:Poke:

But ya, you're right. Sometimes it's impossible to get a nice thing at any price. I daily a 50 year old Chevy and if something breaks, I know I'll have to replace that thing again, soon:( OE water pump will last 50 years, the replacement leaks immediately, do the job again and the warranty part lasts 90 (point one) days...

It's our fault though. This is what a couple generations of price-point consumers will do to an industry.

and this:

RichB, Phl218, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Call in the expert!

Paging @auminer

ToofPic likes this.
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Um ...

tl1098, DaveB and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

One of them tastes like chicken.

Go check it out and see which one. :D

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This has nothing to do with price point consumerism.

It has everything to do with planned obsolescence and engineered mean time before failure.

Can’t have a revenue stream when durable goods are actually durable.

11. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, care to recommend your favorite Korean BBQ?

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Won’t use Rock Auto any longer. Needed a ac condenser for 04 Rubicon. They were priced right so I ordered one. The connection lines were poorly placed, too short, and wouldn’t come close to connecting to the service lines. Contacted them, and they wanted details and pics of the problem before they would take the part back. I gave them what they wanted…reluctantly, then sent the part back. Went to NAPA the same day, payed 60 bucks more, but it fit perfectly. Rock Auto…unsubscribed.

13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

have you checked autoparts4less.com?

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nah, man... For a Louisiana born Texas transplant, my Scoville tolerance is embarrassing.

15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Oh no you didn't!!

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

There were many choices, I bought the upgraded version, @ $175.00 w Viton seals + $75.00 core, which they did not send me a return shipping label.

It's not that I'm cheap, sure I was trying to save some $ where I could.

I've bought over $2,500 worth of parts and upgrades for this vehicle in the last 2 months online.

I'm never selling this vehicle. It was my wife's so it holds BIG sentimental value, I smile remembering her every time I drive it.

It's why I'm willing to spend a little more and be safe replacing the entire steering system rack and pinion all the way to the reservoir & every hose in between,even added a new derahle power steering cooler upgrade, added high-end in line filter.
    I've also bought Bilstein bypass shocks for the rear and bilsteins inverted coilover conversion for the front.
    These shocks
    alone are going to cost $3k @ (wholesale cost)
    So I'm a not a total cheapskate...lol

Excluding motorcycles Im not careless w $ ., I try to be frugal..lol

Yes, I get it!
    But Toyota discontinued the part, So I bought what I thought was a good one ?

Seriously it's a "Made in Japan" Toyota..there simply some of the BEST most reliable vehicles ever made.
    They just don't ever breakdown unless you do something dumb like I did or they have 275-300k on the ODO

It's sure seems that way!
    Brand new and the pulley will move in & out 30mm..
    No logical assembly excuse for that....except perhaps what your saying.

Yes I went to NAPA as well, $270.00 got me one thats tight ! and actually has bolt threads that match what Toyota made, so you can actually assemble it !

As far as I'm concerned I could be as mad and pissed off as I want to be if I pay good money for parts & their garbage..
    Money doesn't come easy and time is money.
    I'm not just going to roll over like a victim, No F-ing way. If I pay good hard-earned money for parts, or services it's going to be
    done right.. period.

I just don't have a lot of time to work on stuff anymore,matter of fact I hate working on things anymore,unless I'm bolting on fun modifications..

This is really the 1st time I've bought "bulk" parts online ever

LESSON LEARNED..NO INTERNET PART HOUSES, from now on counter sales only if at all possible.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much this.

I try to buy whichever OEM made the part. So if I'm pulling off a Denso part, I'll get Denso reman or new, which they say are refurbed to OE specification.

Usually the price ends up being the same as teh shitty version from AutoZone/Advance Auto, whereas you'll pay like another 20-30% for the Denso at the parts stores.

Cooter! likes this.
  18. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

This is not my experience at all. I do a ton of side mechanic work, and rock auto is my go-to. They always offer a range of parts, and I order generally the highest 10% cost of the range they offer. If you are buying the bottom end of the price point, then I’m sure your results will be less than desired. My shop fridge is virtually covered in rockauto magnetic stickers, and I have had to return less than 5 parts over the years (prob 15 years). Use the site as a part number guide and then shop many sources ie amazon, it’s always accurate. Example: Chevy truck needs parts, RA lists everything from crap to OE AC delco. Purchase the AC delco parts from RA and it’s always cheaper by huge margin than dealer and local part supply.
    Buy low end parts get low end results.
    Just educate yourself where to buy the best parts at best prices, RA offers that.

tl1098 likes this.
  19. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Most cars that are fixed cheaply end up getting their replacements parts manufactured from crappy manufacturers. FCP Euro is a blessing for Euro stuff. I ordered OE and Original parts from them all the time, never a problem and they all come with a lifetime warranty. So much better than dealing with Napa, Carquest, Rock Auto, and all those cheap retailers where you're unsure of what you're getting until it actually arrives. Maybe old German cars are generally fixed with more expensive parts so the crap manufacturers don't bother trying to break into that market?

20. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

My '10 silverado sprung a leak at the radiator tank where the tranny cooler was. My go to has always been Rockauto. I ended up buying from them. I was not going to buy a 500 GM radiator so I went with the Malaysia version.

Not a great experience. 1st radiator would not hold the upper oil cooler line. Spit it out while i was driving:mad: The little clip was in place but it would not engage fully in line. 2nd Radiator...same thing.

I went to Napa...not had a issue since:rolleyes:

Changing my radiator 3 times....lesson learned

Ducati89 likes this.