1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theater Stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Apr 28, 2022.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Samsung Q80A 65” TV. I also got a Yamaha TSR-700 receiver. I know this isn’t top of the line stuff, but it’s also not junk. When I run the HDMI from my 4k Xfinity cable box into the receiver and then HDMI into the TV, I seem to notice a lot more ‘jittering’ on the TV. I’ve messed with the settings and can’t seem to get it to go away. Is it normal to lose video quality when running HDMI through the receiver?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Are you using the receiver for video source switching or just for the audio?

Not familiar with the Yamaha product, but I know on my Sony and the old Integra receiver I could set resolutions on the various inputs/outputs. Looks like the Yamaha is an 8k receiver, are you able to set the ports to 4K or even 1080p to try to isolate the issue? Do you get clear smooth rendering if you bypass the receiver entirely?

3. worthless

I’m using the receiver to send the sound either to the room and/or to Zone 2. Should be able to play the same stuff in both zones or something in zone 1 and something different in zone 2.

I haven’t seen where I can set the resolutions, but I honestly hadn’t looked for that. Will give it a shot.

I do have smooth rendering when going directly to the TV and bypassing the receiver entirely.

4. pickled egg

Start with the easy.

Toss a couple of new 8K compatible HDMI cables at it. Could be a bandwidth issue or a crap cable issue.

If you’re not using the receiver for video source switching, consider direct HDMI to the display and optical from the video source to the receiver, if all else fails.

My main system runs video switching for all the video and audio sources at 4K, while I repurposed my old Integra to my office display smart TV, so I pull optical off the TV to feed the receiver and run the audio out for the smart TV apps.

BigBird and G 97 like this.
  5. worthless

Appreciate the help. It definitely could be crappy cables. I've had them for a while.
    And I think I have an old optical cable floating around somewhere...will give that a try, too.

Thanks again!!!

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

in my limited experience, with a different combo, it was best suited to connect all the video inputs directly to the TV and then thru ARC or whatever, just setup through the TV the receiver for Audio only

rice r0cket likes this.
  7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

+1 for this, I just switched everything around to using ARC a few months ago and it works way better than I thought it would. Once you have that setup, turn on HDMI-CEC and you can also turn on/off your TV and receiver with your Chromecast or Apple TV remote.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have my Roku and DVD player hooked to my Denon receiver via HDMI and the Denon connected to the Samsung via the ARC port and do not have any video issues. Could be the cables, I have all 4K/8K capable HDMI cables.

9. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I have everything going through the denon receiver as well and always been able to turn it all off/on with the AppleTV remote or now fire stick.

Was the audio/video better quality going straight to the tv then arc to the receiver? I don’t have near enough hdmi inputs on the tv to use that type of setup.

10. worthless

Got the high speed HDMI cables and it cleaned up the video. Decided to take the advice here and simply go optical out of the TV keep the HDMI out of the receiver unless/until the time come where I have multiple HDMI inputs.

BigBird and pickled egg like this.
  11. pickled egg

Noice! Glad it didn’t take a brick and a throw like a girl, sissy. :D

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

If your TV has ARC it's very helpful as you can use one remote, if you can use the TV remote, which is usually better for uhh watching TV

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

The ability to be used as a high-quality video input switch, even when on standby was one of the great attractions of the Yamaha amps for me. I've had no problems with either of my "Aventage" mid-range amps, even when running UHD discs.

That said, the amps have a plethora of settings and it does take a while to get it sorted. I would try the easiest solution of getting a couple of good HDMI cables and running your highest density stuff through them and see if you still have the problem.

I had a number of issues with every component in the system wanting to be the "controller" for the whole system. Not the problem you are having, but there may be some conflict in TV/AMP/DVD player in how they are wanting to use HDMI. All three of these devices in my system had "picture enhancement" settings that could conflict with each other. The higher refresh rates of some newer devices can cause issues as well, if not all components support it. Great for motorcycle races though.

If you have any questions on specific Yamaha amp settings, I can at least tell you how things are set up on my amps. Telling you what the settings *mean* is probably a 50/50 proposition, though!

I bought all new HDMI cables for my system, but nothing really high-end. I even have a really long one (okay, that was a pretty special one) that runs from my amp to the TV (the TV is on wheels in the garage/shop/exercise room) and it plays UHD discs without an issue.

It could be as simple as one bad HDMI cable or connector. Or (worse), a bad connector on the device. I'm guessing it is a setting somewhere, though (yeah, I know that isn't so helpful).

14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

HDMI-CEC even lets you use your TV remote to control the Chromecast w/ GTV, I assume same for Apple products too.

BigBird likes this.
  15. worthless

Not really worried about using more than 1 remote since the Yamaha MusicCast app, which I can use to turn on/off the receiver and/or zones and also control what plays where, runs on my phone or iPad. What’s even cooler is the ability to use a web browser to control every flipping thing on the receiver.