1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 30 Hours of Rockingham

Discussion in 'General' started by Charles Brothers, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Charles Brothers

Charles Brothers New Member

Anybody out there remember that race?

2. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

How replacing the Rausch Creek round with 30 hours at The Rock?

3. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

Huh?

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep. On Howard Davies' GS1000S (plus parts of his boss' GS1000E).
    Chuck Day was one of the other riders. The memory banks with the other rider's ID's are corrupted.
    Scooters racin' with bikes... in the dark! Chuck centerpunchin' a Lambretta at 2 am. Promoter skipped with the cash. We got plastic medalions.
    It was GREAT fun!

5. texasgoatroper

texasgoatroper New Member

30 Hours of Rockingham

Yeah, I was there-Rode a GS 1000 out there from Lufkin to help the boys from The Cycle Shack with that fine lookin' BMW. Anyone see Davey Parsons or Bob Sellers anymore? Jim Lee.

6. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

This thread is almost 7 years old. :tut:

7. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Before I took the grid for the Daytona 200 in '07, my uncle who raced in the 24 hrs. at Rockingham, gave me a souvenir patch from the race. I still have it stuck under my helmet liner as a good luck charm.

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Jim Lee?

Is this THE Jimmy Lee of Lufkin? The one who (with Will) built that water buffalo with twice as much motor as frame-suspension-brakes?

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I crashed at Rockingham coming off the oval back to the infield. I hated racing a bike there, but I was a big time points chaser back in the day.

mmfoor

10. ravedoper

ravedoper Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out when I did the 30 hour of Rockingham. I'm seeing there was a race in '79 and one in '80. I raced in the one where it rained all weekend (and the previous week) and spectators stayed away in droves and the promotor couldn't make the purse. We raced Walt's Wheel Works KZ 1000 with John Bettencourt, John(Otto) Fuchs, and Jan Jolles. We led overall for a while, but crashed out. Maybe Dan Chivington's team won? I ended up on an RE5 Suzuki rotary after the the KZ 1000 was retired and finished on that despite crashing that (my third crash of the weekend).
    Dave Roper

motodog650 likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Holy old threads Batman. I miss PC.

Steeltoe, Shenanigans, Stumpy and 3 others like this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I did a 6 hr there in the late 80's. I hated that track and never went back.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

A friend of mine, who is coming to Road Atlanta to shoot pictures, Has many pictures from there in his photo gallery. He raced there in one or two of them, on my buddies prototype RB 1000

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I raced there multiple times. Team-mate of mine, Tony DeSimone crashed and burned a bike on the banking in 1988. Not his fault. Shock built failure, discovered later.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think Kevin Rentzell crashed and burned one on the banking, too. That track was just too dangerous, besides not being any fun.

16. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I remember 'the Rock'

17. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

The first annual Kayo BBQ.

18. swissrcr

swissrcr Member

I did the one when it rained all weekend.on a triumph .we finished.i cannot swear by it,but i think it was a D&D cycle bike.one of the other rider was Ely Shless.great time.

19. ravedoper

ravedoper Well-Known Member

Nick Phillips sent me the results from the 29, 30 Sept., 1979 30 hr. of Rockingham. Ely Schless is listed on the Countryside Cycle Racing team with Jon Berglund, Stan Friduss, and George Treasler. They finished 16th overall and 7th in Open Superbike. Road and Trail Ltd., won overall and 1st Open Superbike on a 750 Honda with Dale Richey, Kevin Marshall, Scott Strachan, Larry Shorts, and Dan Chivington. Nick was on Black Label Racing with Ray Hill, Mark Hoag, Greg Smrz, and Bob Pressler and finished 6th overall and 1st 500 Production on an RD400. The team I ended up on was Touch of Class BMW with George Egloff, Frank Giordano, Paul Kirkcorian and we finished 18th overall and 5th in 500 Superbike on an RE5 Suzuki rotary.