1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remanufactured car engines...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 29, 2022.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Find your local jasper guy

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And then rebuild the hunk of shit engine they hand you.

ducnut and tl1098 like this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Prolly cheaper to buy a new car... :crackup:

What's the specs on this hoopty? I've got another 15 mins to kill at werk, I can look it up for ya.

5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

What happened on your 4.7 (I assume Chrysler motor), why you think you may need to replace it?

6. fastfreddie

Warped head and collapsed lifter are my suspicions, 165K miles. It's been maintained, mostly following the service schedules. Lotsa/only short drives over the last few years may not have been the best thing for it, iron block/aluminum heads.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What symptoms? Dad bought a Dakota with a 3.7 from a dealership that said it needed a motor. A 5$ valve spring and it ran for many years.

BigBird likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

Coolant leak passenger side head, inner rear corner; tick-tick-tick same side.
    No evidence of coolant in oil or out the exhaust.

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

If you had a real engine you wouldn’t need to replace it :Poke:;)

We’ve talked Jeep preferences before, I enjoyed the banter.

04 GC 4.0 Command Trac and done until you die...

I miss my old school wagoneer with the 360/at/Command trac

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

They all do that... the 4.7 heads are the weak spot... but it usually trashed the block too by time it’s caught.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It’s a Mitsubishi iirc

12. fastfreddie

100% Detroit.

27 likes this.
  13. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Not big deal if you can do the work! If vehicle was maintained properly through it’s life, I would do the head, NEW hydraulic lifters, chain guides, chains… If high milage doing one head may as well do the other one because intake plenum, front timing cover etc has to be removed for one or two heads…
    Keep in mind Chrysler says these heads can not be decked which is not true to the extent of how much you have to shave off. 4.7 block is iron and heads are aluminum so after 10+years of different rate of expansion head gasket is destined to fail! If you go this route make sure to use same steel multilayered head gasket from known manufacturer…
    Not to drag this, did all this to my 04 GC at 200k, sold it with 220k to my coworker and with over 250k still running like charm.
    If you decide to go this route and have questions feel free to contact me, I worked on Jeep’s for 15 years…

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I thought it was only land rovers that slipped sleeves

15. fastfreddie

Sweet!
    The disassembly/assembly is within my skillset but, considering the info you've just related, I think I'll start by having a talk with the tech that wanted to see it. He'll have the tools and resources that I don't have and I'll definitely ask about any shaving that may be necessary.
    Thank you!

<edit> Can I pull one of the layers from the head gasket, you know, bump the compression? :D

BigBird likes this.
  16. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I had a 07 Jeep Commander with a 4.7....
    I always kept up with the oil maintenance and always ran full synthetic in her. Sold her to a co-worker when she had something like 235k... he has since got her over 250k now and she still rund like a top.
    I think I had to put a starter in her, throttle position sensor, and a thermostat or two in her life...
    My wife still misses the "big green box" as we called it.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Anything from Chrysler with a ".7" in its size sucks. Most aftermarket warranty companies won't even sell warranty for 2.7 v6's. All the shops we deal with at my dealership tell us to avoid 4.7's as much as possible as well.
    As for engine rebuilds, I don't trust any mass market company. Do it myself [minus the machine work] or buy a used oem one.

27 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just drop in an LS or Hemi and have some real fun with it :D

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Jumkyard motors are not bad at all if you find the right crashed up car

lopitt85 likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

All the crashed cars were running when they got crashed...

The luck of them totaling a car with a bad motor is lottery odds...

tony 340 and lopitt85 like this.