1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey man, slow down and think.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm very sorry for your loss, Dan. That feeling failing as a friend for not seeing it coming can linger for some time, but eventually fades as you accept that sometimes, there's just no way of knowing unless they want you to. :(

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bump because Katie Meyer and because I need to.

We’re here, we care, reach out!

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I had a friend like that. He passed last fall from a massive coronary failure at 53 years old. He was against vaccines and into conspiracies and shit. Yet he was a bodybuilder and shot steroids. His heart was overgrown from the steroids and human growth hormone he was shooting, which caused his death. Man, that pissed me off and it still does. I loved that guy, he was a great friend and a racer.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Sorry about your buddy. I am lucky to still have a decades old friend that did similar, luckily ended up just doing a stint in my he hospital for fluid retention around his heart causing a bunch of little attacks and issues, he made it and is doing well now, and no more amateur needlepoint.

Funny thing about conspiracy theories is they the have mostly all turned to hypothesis and then usually just flat out truths that were hidden or blatantly lied about ;)

cav115 likes this.
  5. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

I've been in the pit, hard to crawl out of. I learned to be "selfless" which helped me. For a while it's one breath at a time, then recognize your still here one hour at a time, then one day. Journal, get help. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm here and ready to help if I can. Along with being selfless (doing for others) make yourself get out and be around friends but don't be the class clown, really spend time with people. Most of us who have suffered with depression need exercise too. Do it!

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. If it is who I think it is in the racing community, he was a pretty well liked guy from what I heard, although I never met him. :(. It sucks.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Do tell. Give us some examples.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You and I should grab a beer and compare notes. Your words are almost verbatim what I tell people.

SOFG2 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

If this is ban bait I can write all day without being political about facts that disprove narratives. It’ll take learning on your part though and not much fun because if you actually like physics and science you’d already know so this is probably a moot point...

The Todd likes this.
  10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Jesus fucking Christ can the lot of you not leave shit alone? For fucks sake, somebody starts a thread about suicide and outreach and you selfish fucks can’t just leave shit alone for once. And don’t play stupid regarding the subject matter. One guy posts about a friends death and in his frustration, makes a single somewhat vague statement regarding a touchy subject. And you selfish dickbags can’t just leave the shit alone. Somebody has to call him out and correct him in all their self righteous bullshit and lo and behold, someone else has to retort and turn yet another thread into the same old tired shit. Goddamnit just shut the fuck up already and take your shit to Facebook or here’s a novel idea, Phil’s place, which was built just for this purpose. But damnit, is nothing sacred or safe from some of you peoples self righteousness?

/endrant

DJ Baker, Jed, Triple X and 9 others like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

12. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Anytime!

Jed likes this.
  13. sdg

sdg *

Bump. Just lost another one.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

988 is the number for suicide and life crisis helpline.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Paddy Pimblett had some nice words on the subject post fight a few days ago

see youtube thread

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

For years you've heard the term people that commit suicide are "selfish".

In my opinion, it is completely backwards it is us the survivors who point the multitude of feelings of guilt, shame, frustration, sadness or whatever at our departed ones.

It is the survivors that want to hold on and never let go no matter what the situation.

I'm not glorifying it not by any stretch of the imagination and I certainly feel that many could be saved , from a early exit, but that's if so only if they so choosed to do so.
    I'm sure there's many of us here myself included the thought is crossed our minds at some point or another we just didn't step over that line far enough for whatever reasons?
    Some people are in so much pain physically or emotionally , they're willing to cross that line...
    I've had suicide in our family... And it's tough to deal with, my experience was 40 years ago with my uncle.
    Still sad and tragic when I think about it.
    But at the same time what I wish that man to suffer in his emotional agony for many more years to come?
    I can't answer that question? None of us can.
    But I'll say this.. there's certainly nothing wrong with trying if you see the signs and if there's any chance that they want help, by all means do it by whatever means are at your disposal.. we may not be able to save even a small fraction but perhaps the ones you are able to help, can continue a long and happy productive life that is meaningful on some level to them.

The human condition of feelings and emotion is a blessing and a curse.. it's either the best thing you will ever experience on your time on Earth.. or can be dark baggage that you carry with you...

For some reason the "bad shit" just seems to stick harder and never washes away

Wingnut and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm saddened to hear of your uncle's demise. My condolences.

No one wants people to be in agony. There is help for all, and it works for most. The hardest part is reaching out for the help. So often people are told by themselves or those near to them just to shake it off, or they're faking, it, or it isn't that bad, etc. Gaslighting someone in agony is cruel.

Thus the 988 hotline is a very necessary path to help.

I'm willing to kick in a few more tax dollars each year for the states to fully fund the help line.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There are suicide hotlines out there already; the only way this new number will help is if they can get treatment for the people who call. Saving someone in crisis is temporary, the crisis will return and maybe next time the person won't call because last time there was no real lasting help at the other end of the line.
    This problem requires a lot of money invested in it.

19. My sister ofted herself yesterday, day before her 50th birthday. I wrote her off long ago but rest of my family hadn’t. Moms a train wreck so looks like I’ll be on the 6am flight out of GSP to DTW then over to canuckastan. Last selfish act is my parents are left with the funeral costs. Only reason I’m going is for my mom as she doesn’t deal with shit like I do. I deal with it but in my own time but I do indeed deal with it (so no worries there boys and girls). Least I’ll get to catch up with friends, head to the family farm (dads side of the family). As I’ve said before as my dad killed himself when I was 16 (I’m now 47), if someone’s thought about it rationally I have no issue with going out in your own terms. Some irrational thought and doing something “in the moment” I have a huge issue with. I also have an issue with the matter you do it. There is no “good way” but your kids don’t need to find you hanging. That’s selfish as hell. And no I don’t know what the “proper” way is but I know that’s not it.

Senna likes this.
  20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m so sorry. On both accounts.

Senna likes this.