1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk DEF / DPF delete

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, Feb 21, 2022.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does.:crackup:

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

NOx is caused by lean burn not “too much fuel in exhaust” seeing as how diesels control rpm and power by limiting fuel amount and not air amount like gas engines they always run “lean”. So they recirculate the exhaust gas to try and burn up some of the remaining oxygen.

Who remembers the VX Civic of the 90s? It had lean burn mode that would lean it out on hwy to get crazy mpgs until EPA said no no to that cuz the NOx was too high.

but everything else is correct. EGR is the debil.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

EGR is the worst of the worst when it comes to diesel systems. I’d take DPF, no limp mode for def and no egr all day

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

If this was something so easily repeatable and doable, there would be more than 1/1000th of the Cummins owners reporting the same thing. But there's not.

Probably gets that good of mileage in your head because the Earth is flat, so you don't have to drive up any hills.

tony 340 likes this.
  5. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Or because his trucks computer says it's getting 27mpg.

6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

NOx is formed from high combustion temperatures. Needs the high temperatures to form. Dealing with it for industrial burners.

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

High temps like what lean afr causes?

8. Wheel Bearing

The overhead in my truck in my 2004 Ram was overly optimistic, on average, 2-3 MPG. But not that far off. The MPG average in my 2016 is quite frankly pretty damn close, if not spot on compared to my hand calculation.

Of course, when manipulated, I can get the average MPG to read 25-30 MPG too. Hell, even towing. Give me the right stretch of road for 3-4 miles and I can pretty much get it to read anything.

There's a reason none of these "27 MPG guys" like @cav115 ever post up these numbers and also show the miles driven since last the reset.

650 RACER likes this.
  9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The egr is made to dilute the intake charge, not reburn any fuel.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, I rolled a 4500 mile round trip last summer in a 300k+ mile quad cab dually with a 5.9HO, 6spd manual, 4.10 gears and about a thousand pounds of payload.

Better than 3200 miles of it were at 2400rpm on the highway.

Averaged 16.7mpg over the entire trip. Hand calculated.

650 RACER likes this.
  11. Wheel Bearing

16.7 = 27 MPG?

Edit: I'm not a super Ram truck expert, but by you stating HO, that's 2004.5 or later. I'm not aware of 4.10's being an option with the 6 speed, that's 3.73's. Only the 48RE got 4.10's. Of course that's assuming it's stock, FWIW.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because I’m the one who claimed 27mpg…

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Common core math?

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My ‘01 was an HO 6-speed. 3.55’s
    My ‘03 was an HO 6-speed. 3.73’s
    My ‘05 is an HO 6-speed. 4.10’s

When I get home I’ll send you my report card from a prestigious university along with the window sticker :Poke:

Rebel635 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'd be wrong. If properly set up and driven sanely they can. Hell I've gotten 22 out of our 08 5.7 Hemi. Rare but doable.

16. Wheel Bearing

HO didn't come out until 2004.5.

17. Wheel Bearing

Just happy to see you acknowledged the totally irrelevant response.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

Shoulda quit while you were behind

19. Wheel Bearing

My Mazda averages 37 MPG on the highway, carrying 2 people and one dog.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But you're still in a Mazda.

Current plan is Suburban to Cali in a few weeks, even at 4+ a gallon I'll be happy with 18-20 :D