Dogs... Do they let you know when it's time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Oct 2, 2018.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You should be ashamed of yourself for making a grumpy old man cry. In all honesty, you and your dog couldn't have asked for a better good bye. Rest well, good boy.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'd call that the best possible scenario. Sad for you but he got to spend every moment he could where he wanted to be. I'll tell you what I consider my only two failures as a pet owner. We had a lab with what you would call an overly happy disposition. He'd wag his tail so hard that if it hit the corner of a wall in the house it would bust open and bleed everywhere. After fighting one episode long enough that the end of the tail was so sore he would become vocal if it touched something I made the call to have his tail docked surgically which is not only odd for a lab but more so at 10 years of age. He bloated the following morning after surgery, spent 5 days in emergency care and passed away on our drive home from the care facility on New Years eve. Failure 1.

Second failure was a pupper in kidney failure that went down hill quickly and she died in my arms heading out the door to the car. Her last minutes were chaotic and traumatic. I don't talk about it much as I consider it my worst failure. She did not get the peaceful passing that she deserved in her favorite spot next to me in the chair.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

:(
    Damn man.. sorry

4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

27 I don’t think I can read that right now. Will save for another day.

Troy and I have a couple more nights before his tour with us is finished. Tonight is a steak and bourbon night…

B87328BD-89EC-4425-AB97-D03C71D934BA.jpeg

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time and make some more memories. The story is of a perfect goodbye and I hope you have the same.

pjzocc likes this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What kind of bourbon does he like ? :D

BigBird likes this.
  7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

he had a lick of Blantons tonight

I think he smiled

:D

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thanks to the rest of you for the kind words I’ll respond properly when I’m able. Hug your pups!

pjzocc and ToofPic like this.
  9. nigel smith

It probably won't really help, but know that a lot of us understand exactly how you feel. Please give him a big scratch behind the ears and tell him it's from me.

malamute, Banditracer and pjzocc like this.
  10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My Sparky, Amber, Elsa, and Ellie will be waiting to greet Troy when he crosses that rainbow bridge. He'll be in good hands as they show him around. Keeping both of you in my thoughts.

pjzocc likes this.
  11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Our Dachsund had his lungs fill up with fluid. I tried to let him go on his own but it was terrible. No animal deserves to go through that.

pjzocc and BigBird like this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

May have been Dave, possibly Sean that said it. But when a dog can't dog anymore... It's time.

BigBird, Funkm05 and pjzocc like this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

PJ- Went through this 2 months ago with my 14 yr old pit. Nothing any of us say will help the pain. Only time will ease the hurt. It seems crazy to think, but putting Layla down was harder than burying my parents. I'm ashamed to say that, and can't explain it.

ToofPic and pjzocc like this.
  14. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

@pjzocc , not sure if you've made final plans yet, but in case you haven't I wanted to offer this. The last several dogs we had to put down, we did so at home. It really makes a shitty experience "better." Your pet is surrounded by family members in a comfortable and familiar environment, on their favorite bed/blanket, getting treats, etc. We used a vet service called Lap of Love (https://www.lapoflove.com/) The ladies couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. If Troy is anything like our dogs, going to the vet's office is a scary one and stresses them out. This way you can say you goodbyes in the comfort and privacy of your home. Just wanted to pass this along. Typing this is making my eyes blurry...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Boman Forklift, pjzocc and BigBird like this.
  15. nigel smith

You are not alone. I think it has to do with the fact that your dog is so intertwined with your everyday existence that his absence alters the entire routine of your life.

R Acree, BigBird and sharkattack like this.
  16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks Shark. Looked into that when we had to let Emmitt go. Unfortunately they don’t have a service near us. Would’ve liked for that to be an option.

Today has sucked. Tomorrow shall suck more.

sharkattack likes this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

For me, that feeling is called grace and mercy and emotional courage. It is a lot of power, wielded in a loving way. Which, for the most part, does not exist in this kind of parting between human beings.

It's not crazy at all. And certainly no reason for shame.

I do find reading these accounts helpful. Not right away, but over time...

pjzocc likes this.
  18. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

It feels odd to say "great tip" to this, but I had no idea such a service existed. I'll remember this for when the unavoidable time comes.

sharkattack likes this.
  19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

it does help, and I truly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and shared stories. This is about the only place I can excise this experience with like minded humans without feeling like an ego-centric attention whore.

Tonight the crew and I will sack out in the family room with our elder statesman. He’ll have lots of treats and hugs, another steak, and another lick or two of Blantons off my fingertip. He’s been a fucking rock star for almost 15 years for our kids. Life will look considerably foreign tomorrow.

Seriously… thanks everyone.

RossK6, sharkattack and Yzasserina like this.
  20. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Well, I knew this day would come, and honestly thought that it would be sooner rather than later. Our Senior dog Lady Bug (aka Bergie) has lost interest in her food. We pulled her from a shelter a year ago last August, so she had some good meals, scratches, and a warm place to sleep. We'll be going to the vet to see if anything can be done, but she is old AF, blind, heartworm positive, stage 1 kidney failure (maybe more advanced now) and very weak in her hind legs.
    [​IMG]

cBJr likes this.