1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on car lifts

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Two post. We use them commercially. Occasionally might but not that big of a deal, still doesn't address the safety issues we had though. Maybe they are better now, but being under 4-9klb trucks all day I don't mess with that low grade crap anymore.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That height cutoff switch is an OSHA requirement. Someone be in a heap o’ trouble if they bypassed that.

zertrider likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I have an Atlas, and yes, why would it have crushed the vehicle if the overhead switch was hooked up? As far as lowering cars, you do know they have an adjustment for the speed right?

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a four post is the most versatile. A bit more work if you need the wheels free but if you get the right rating it can handle everything from a full size dually to a sports car.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Commercial grade 4 post lifts are a real pain in the ass to do any actual work on a vehicle. It's always in the way of trying to do something. Obviously required for alignment machines, but only way I'd get one is if it was for storage only. Otherwise, 2 post lift all day.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

7. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think you’d be silly not to get the 7K set for a couple hundred more.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not if you are lifting anything with a short wheel base. The 7000 sleds are a bit longer and will bump into the tires on short wheel base vehicles. You'll cover the most ground with the 5000SLX. I lift everything form the Beetle to the nieghbors extended cab Silvarado with mine. My only advise is to ignore the recommendation of double stacking the rubber blocks. It's an accident waiting to happen. Secondly take the time to make sure they are lined up well and hitting squarely on the lift points. They are pretty solid if you do. If not you can create an unsafe lift pretty easily.

SuddenBraking and ljuice26 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Happy jacks are fine for what they are , but a pain if you need serious work done.

upload_2021-12-25_10-31-16.jpeg
    Not saying you can’t drop a 300 lbs DSG tranny but there are more convenient ways. Let’s just say the necessity surprised me and led me to MacGyver this job. Scooting around on the floor makes for a good exercise.
    upload_2021-12-25_10-30-56.jpeg

I can’t wait to get my project 944 rolling so I can set up the 2-post lift I got.

couldn’t pass up a basic deal for this entry level one before a price increase and self-pickup in Stickboy’s neck of the woods

https://www.mechanicsuperstore.com/product/amgo-bp-9x-9-000-lb-2-post-lift

it’ll do for the vehicles I have on the DIY spectrum

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I made a couple of cradles to bolt on to the T56 and used a single sled to put the trans back in the truck. I had help getting it out but was alone for re-installation. A blanket under the sled made it easy to move around on the epoxy floor.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not bypassed, was never there or included. This was many years ago, maybe they've improved but they were junk then. Even the carriages showed signs of deformation when lifting heavy.. take it for what it's worth

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a Challenger Versymmetric CL10V3, I've had it for a year now and would definitely buy again. It would seem a waste to use it as car storage but it would do it no problem, the upright columns are beefy and the swivel pads with telescoping arms will handle anything I've put on it.
    lift.JPG

14. 418

418 Expert #59

German redneck engineering at it's finest.

What the DSG do?

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Transmission is fine. Flex plate broke at the flange by the crank. Put an RS7 one in there as well as a single mass flywheel, that’s half the weight of the dual mass one.
    Was lucky that the flex plate didn’t disintegrate at 8.5k and come see me through the cabin

basically the engine just died while driving since the crank position sensor ring is right behind that flex plate and the revs didn’t match any more what the trans was seeing.
    After spending weeks of chasing a sensor error, I found a TSB from Audi that indicated that the boards on the mechatronics unit inside the dsg were faulty, so I went ahead and fixed that. Yay me. At least I got new fluids and filters done with this.

found the flex plate issue by meditating under the car and randomly sticking a screwdriver in there which made the plate spin. Which shouldn’t be of course.

Trans is back in since Thursday, will do the rest in the next couple of days . Wish me luck

418 and ChemGuy like this.
  16. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I think you got a bad one. We have an atlas 2 post at work. Has overhead shut off, and coming down is almost as slow as going up, which is painfully slow.