1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use a Holley Sniper?

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Dec 16, 2021.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Looking at options to ditch the carb on my ‘49. Sniper looks to be a cheap/easy way to go.
    Opinions?

2. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Check out a YouTube channel WatchJRgo. They just put one one a mustang last week.

baconologist likes this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Will you ever want more powahhh (bottle, supercharger, tubros, etc) or possibly a modern electrically controlled trans? If so look at the Terminator X or Terminator X Max. They have MUCH, MUCH more functionality than a sniper.

I am just getting into the holley EFI world in some drag cars. We are using Terminator X max. This system was on a mildly built LS street motor we are re-purposing for twin turbo LS. There are several youtube guys I watch using the X max on sub 9 second cars...some in the 8s and 7s. There is a lot more you can do with it compared to sniper.

If you just want to ditch the carb and possibly use it for ignition timing on a cruiser then the sniper is fine.

4. baconologist

it’s a pick up
    Mostly looking for reliability. The old 235 I6 isnt a power house. And rebuilding the Monojet every 6mos gets irritating

5. ChemGuy

Nice. Then just grab a sniper system and be done. You may want to check but I think the minimum hp for the sniper is 200 or 250...they may have a kit more suited to 6cyl engines.

The holley instructions can be a little thin on info. But the forums and their tech guys are pretty good to figure out answers. Your best bet is to clal them and find out what system and add ons would be best for your situation.

baconologist likes this.
  6. baconologist

Shockingly they make a 1v and a 2v system as well as the monsters.

nice to hear tech support is good

7. ChemGuy

Ah yes. Forgot about those. i only think in terms of 4 barrels.....lol. 2 barrel...thats for the trash can...

G Dawg and TurboBlew like this.
  8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I was looking at the terminator kit for my LS engine. Going the efi carb route since its going in a 67 Chevelle. If they
    made the Sniper kits to wire into the LS I would just get the Sniper and save half the money of the Terminator kit.

The Terminator kit I was looking at is designed for the LS platform and carb intake.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Barrel???? What's a barrel? I think I used to know what they were, but it's been decades.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s what an Irishman orders a drink of whiskey in…

StaccatoFan and baconologist like this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Round hole in carb for air to flow threw. Bikes use single barrel carbs.

I've been on truck forums since the 90's. Holley's fuel injection system has never had the best reputation or reliability, but I haven't heard much about them in the last 5yrs or so.

baconologist likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's right...they had jets and ventricles and flutterbys and pumps and floats and such as that. I seem to recall rebuilding them about once a year. Cantankerous creations that existed to drive men to drink. At least they were good for something.

stk0308, baconologist and crashman like this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It is sad that you needed to blame some poor mechanical fuel and air controller for your desire to imbibe.:Poke::D

14. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Wait.....you didn't seriously think that was a question did you?....come on man! Now....get off HIS lawn:crackup::Poke:

Just goofin over here of course.

I'm considering a sniper for my 67 camaro 327.....just did an MSD last year. really helped. I had replaced the points back in the 80's with the magnetic pickups, and they died.

baconologist likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wasn't blaming, I was thanking. Silly man.

crashman likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Wish they made a conversion for the CB400F I've rebuilt. The carbs on this bike are every bit as bitchy as those on my old CBX. If they could ditch the points too that would be a minor miracle.

17. ChemGuy

Megasquirt and pertronix.

ducnut and baconologist like this.
  18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Stock carbs?....Im not familar with 400f carbs, but with the 350 twin, Mikunis are a big help.