1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone repair cables? Bicycle type?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Anyone here repair bicycle type cables? I bought an old snowmobile knowing parts might be hard to find, well I found them but they are made of gold apparently. Its the cables that actuate the power valves, the cable ends just pretty much rotted off. Cables are 100$ a piece, thinking they could be fixed for much less. Looks like one end is a traditional barrel type and the other is a pear type end. I don't know if these are swaged on or soldered? I was thinking a bike shop might take this on but nothing close to me.

2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Most all bike shops around me 'up-sell' replacing cables with any bicycle tune-up. I'd suggest you ask your local shops if they'll make you some.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'll ask around, for 200$ I'll drive a little bit.

5. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Post pictures of your current cable, or a picture of a replacement cable for your machine. That way we bike guys can see what you need.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I do cables (throttle, clutch, brakes) for vintage motorcycles. If you call me with the wire diameter, end piece dimensions, sheathing length, cable free length, and photos of what you have, I may be able to help.

$100 each for full replacement cable is not unreasonable. If all you want is the end fittings to replace what "rotted off," then look at www.flanderscables.com. They have EVERYTHING you could possible need. But, you'll need to assure you have sufficient cable free length left to prepare the ends and solder on a new fitting. Otherwise, you'll be short - ask me how I know.

Cheers,
    Dave
    404-285-8349

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Would bicycle derailleur or mechanic brake cables fit?
    Those kits can be cut and if it doesn’t need to be fancy you can get them for cheapo

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

https://www.kienerecreation.com/ These guys might have a used set if you want to try that route. I have bought some parts from them over the years and they have always been pretty reasonable.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Is it like this ?
    oep1801735_16385bd31d15b624c9c6e2d9c82b1486596db843.jpg