1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech / superstock legality question about Rad hoses

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bilet69, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Really? You went with pistons on that joke and not rods?….. :crackup:

2. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

The pistons is where the power is:D

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

We’ll, obviously… :dead:

4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I don't think it explicitly says you can change grips, but I don't see stock grips out there. Same with aftermarket pre-drilled bolts for safety wire. Doesn't say you can add a sock / cover to your brake reservoir. Doesn't say you can't add a zip tie to your fork leg to measure travel.

5. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

A few have asked what bike you have. You probably could've had one on the way from a fellow racer if they knew what you needed.

6. Ducati89

Im re-iterating what the Chapter says.

When it comes to engine cooling, are hoses gonna give you 10 horsepower? No.

I agree that clipons and socks are not mentioned in the Chapter.

But when you start getting closer to the power plant and its efficiency I would define the rules as literal rather than speculative with Wera's interpretation.

7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Fair point. There's definitely grey area, and that's unavoidable.

My recommendation to the OP would be to send an E-Mail to WERA directly. Might get a quicker response than he will here. I think he's got a valid question, and a simple 'yes' or 'no' will determine his options and next course of action.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Clipons are specifically addressed in my quick glance at the superstock rules... As are alternative fasteners/hardware for bodywork...

Ducati89 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

" e) Handlebars may be changed or altered."

I consider this to cover grips.

Socks and zipties are not functional parts of the bike so they're not a concern any more than what stickers you choose to run or the paint color and so on.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the initial question - no they are not legal in Superstock.

Could or should they be? Dunno, never really got into research on making power through restricting or opening up the flow of coolant. I'll see what I can find out. But for now stock is stock.

bilet69 likes this.
  11. Ducati89

The aftermarket ones are generally made to increase cooling. Motor guys can expand upon that.

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They don't. Even Samco doesn't claim that they do. They're OEM sized, so they don't increase coolant volume. They're silicone, which is a more expensive (and durable and flexible) material than the OEM rubber hoses. Coolant cools. Hoses just hose.

I'm not a motor guy and I can't even remember the last time I stayed at a Holiday Inn, so take my advice on the topic as such.

Ducati89 likes this.
  13. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

UN F'N Real.
    This has got to be one of the stupidest threads in all of Roadracing.

If you get beat in a race and blame it on aftermarket radiator hoses....
    You just suck and should sell your sh!t and move on to synchronize swimming.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What if the hose doesn't identify as a hose that day? Maybe it feels like identifying as a radiator on that specific day.

OH and I concur with @tawzx12r

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

And double bubbles increase your top speed by 50% too :D

cosan and TurboBlew like this.
  16. bilet69

bilet69 Well-Known Member

@Mongo Direct replacement, Same size rad hose, Nothing bigger or smaller

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I've made rules changes based on those assumptions in the past and they failed miserably :D Email me as a reminder but I'll look into it more.

18. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

If anyone protests based on changing radiator hoses, guaranteed the entire paddock will know who they are very quickly. Seems like a waste of Sean’s time to even address it.

bilet69 likes this.
  19. Ducati89

If it aint in the the rules you betcherass it does:D

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

This. Or gone to Ebay and paid $15 for one off a bike wadded up with 8 miles on it.