1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non moto: NOVA roomie wanted

Discussion in 'General' started by LAR, Feb 14, 2002.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Try I66. It used to be a game to see how many custom license plates id see about I66. 66SUX, H8TN66, H8T66, … Truly a miserable slab of asphalt.

dtalbott likes this.
  2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

$1.5M? At that price you'll have some options. We were a little below that, about 1.2 was all I was willing to go, and that only if it checked every box. Once you get above 1M stuff tends to not sell quite as quickly and you have some negotiating room. Depending on the area of course. In Great Falls or McLean 1.5M is a shack that sells instantly. :)

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, with the construction from the beltway out and some of the work being done on feeding roads out past Manassas, it probably is the worst piece of road on the east coast at the moment.

Who moves the road 100 yards, in the middle of the night during a work week well over a 100 yards, doesn't paint lines of any type, throws in a curb in the road and doesn't tell anyone or announce the changes on the website at least? The clowns doing 66.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Keeps the reflexes sharp... :)

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and the repair shops busy. :D

Check out the 20121 and 20124 zip for your house searches. ;) not great falls but some crazy houses hidden away here for a lot less $$$$ then Great Falls. ;)

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I look down on the masses from my deck. Beltway is the horizon. If I never have to drive over there I’m good with that.
    77568482-3F9B-46BF-9152-0D8E0FB758C4.jpeg

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

@prm where you out of?

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Up on Bull Run Mountain.

9. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Come on out to Winchester.
    Only adds 40 minutes to your commute and housing is 1/2 the price.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah but as soon as you hit Centreville on 66, the shit gets double f@cked.

11. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Yep. I used to work at National Airport before I worked at Dulles.
    75 miles each way.
    But only took me 25 more minutes to get to National than my friend that live in Cascades off rt 7.

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The key is to not have to go east of roughly 28. Have a job where you can be remote most days. I have to go into Reston or Arlington on occasion, but I can usually dictate the hours.

Triple X likes this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Is there reasonable off-road riding around that area? If so, is a plate needed? As a reminder, it'd be around the Fairfax area.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not that I've found. My neighbor used to do a lot of motorcross and off road but he moved so I can't ask, sorry, but I think he trucked them west or up to MD.

15. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

For schools that are excellent for special needs kids, you should seriously consider the City of Falls Church. Nice homes available in your price range, and inside-the-beltway location. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, extremely convenient. Small school system, just two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. My wife is an elementary guidance counselor with the system, has worked there thirty years.
    A word of caution: be certain that you are looking at homes in the City of Falls Church. The surrounding areas are all Fairfax County. While FFX CO is certainly highly rated, it greatly depends on the area within the county.
    Lots of State Department families live in the City of Falls Church for all of these reasons.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

How close to a metro station is your work location? I grew up in the MD suburbs, and a friend's dad took light rail and metro into the pentagon to avoid driving/traffic. Took a bit longer, but he could read the paper and have morning coffee on the way in.

To give you some perspective on how bad the 95 corridor was 5 years ago (it's worse now I'm sure): The no traffic drive time from Hampton roads (just north of VA Beach) to my parents house is 3.5 hours via 95 and the beltway. I always took a more eastern route through more rural areas that added an hour to the no traffic drive time. I gave up on 95 after the drive took 9 hours.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

The address would be around 2900 District Avenue, 22031. Appreciate the thought but my desires to take public transportation or have any more of a commute than is needed both hover at close to zero.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Our friend's daughter does well with special needs schooling in Arlington, and you can probably find something fairly nice for $1.5M in North or West Arlington as long as you stay away from the metro stops. The lot will be pretty small. SFH near any inside the beltway metro stop are absolutely insanely priced these days.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Last time I was in Arlington, townhouses were creeping up on $900K. Vienna was as bad or worse but that was within bicycling distance of the Metro. :(

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Over an hour on 66 to go 7 miles because a big ass crane toppled over and they had to close 3 of 4 lanes (right after 2 lanes on fed in) so they could have a bunch of people stare at it.

gawd, I hate it here.